Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 08:20 PM
BP Mafia

Another one I've had around for a long time. It was part of a starter set that I won from an Ebay auction as the only bidder. It had been started and the paint was done badly, so I sanded and reprimed it, then hit it with a coat of fluorescent orange. I ran off some decals at the end of an ink cartridge, but I was able to cut off the part where the ink failed on the lower wrap.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 04-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Rockets & BP= Happy, Happy, Happy

Awesome looking builds. I love them all. I have a special place in my heart for the Red and White Alpha III. That was my first rocket way back in 1982 I think.

I need to get back to building and finishing. I've taken about a month off. The last one I built was an Estes Starchaser Thunderstar. I have a Spaceship One started. I haven't been impressed with the quality of these two. I think Estes fumbled on these kits.

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

My Low Power Rocket Fleet

Level 1 (2-22-2014) GRITS Winternationals
Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronot
Awesome looking builds. I love them all. I have a special place in my heart for the Red and White Alpha III. That was my first rocket way back in 1982 I think.

I need to get back to building and finishing. I've taken about a month off. The last one I built was an Estes Starchaser Thunderstar. I have a Spaceship One started. I haven't been impressed with the quality of these two. I think Estes fumbled on these kits.

David

The Thunderstar isn't terrible. I've had one ready to go at about three straight trips to the field and just haven't felt the urge to try it. I think the cluster worried me at first, but I launched my ill-fated El Gato a few months back and had no trouble lighting both engines. I scanned the sticker decals, cleaned then up, and printed out a set, which really made a huge difference in the finishing process and how it looks. The stickers were just junk. As for the Spaceship One, I've yet to see one of these fly worth a ****, so I think you may be right on that count.

I miss being SAM 0058

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Old 04-06-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
The Thunderstar isn't terrible. I've had one ready to go at about three straight trips to the field and just haven't felt the urge to try it. I think the cluster worried me at first, but I launched my ill-fated El Gato a few months back and had no trouble lighting both engines. I scanned the sticker decals, cleaned then up, and printed out a set, which really made a huge difference in the finishing process and how it looks. The stickers were just junk. As for the Spaceship One, I've yet to see one of these fly worth a ****, so I think you may be right on that count.

I thought the motor mount was extremely flimsy on the Thunderstar, and the plastic doesn't bond well with plastic cement, I had to use medium CA to bond the plastic. Just saying...

I bought the kit for the two engine cluster. I thought it was cool. It does seem like over kill given the size and weight of the finished rocket. You're right about the stickers. not very impressed with them.

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 04-06-2014, 10:19 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronot
I thought the motor mount was extremely flimsy on the Thunderstar, and the plastic doesn't bond well with plastic cement, I had to use medium CA to bond the plastic. Just saying...

I bought the kit for the two engine cluster. I thought it was cool. It does seem like over kill given the size and weight of the finished rocket. You're right about the stickers. not very impressed with them.

David

Now that you mention it, I do remember being disappointed in the cluster mount. I think my rings tore and had to be finagled into place. The plastic is never good, but I got mine to turn out ok using CA. I plan to fly mine on a 2xA8-3 cluster for the first flight. Small field, you know.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 04-06-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Now that you mention it, I do remember being disappointed in the cluster mount. I think my rings tore and had to be finagled into place. The plastic is never good, but I got mine to turn out ok using CA. I plan to fly mine on a 2xA8-3 cluster for the first flight. Small field, you know.

Yep. My engine mount did the same thing.

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 04-06-2014, 10:27 PM
UF grad deep in enemy territory

Red face Thunderstar a good flier

My Thunderstar has about 17 flights, and it is a favorite. 2 A8-3s keep it nice and visible throughout the flight. The B flights get surprisingly high, and the C flights need a sod farm. Yes, the stickers are junk. My plastic tower has been replaced. Only once did both motors fail to light.

I have copies of this kit so another can be built when this one is forced into retirement.

John
Old 04-06-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoLaw
My Thunderstar has about 17 flights, and it is a favorite. 2 A8-3s keep it nice and visible throughout the flight. The B flights get surprisingly high, and the C flights need a sod farm. Yes, the stickers are junk. My plastic tower has been replaced. Only once did both motors fail to light.

I have copies of this kit so another can be built when this one is forced into retirement.

John

Well that's good news. Thanks.

David

NAR #96285

SoAR #503

Level 2 TBD
Level 3 TBD
Old 04-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Where'd it go?

Bill, We really liked your Zepher 7.95 @ NARAM last Summer. I think Debbie's Zepher 5 is still in that pond :-)

Bob

NAR# 54643 L-1

SAM# 043

AMA# 157091

VRCS# 154

A&P# 42x xx xxxx.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:00 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blushingmule
Bill, We really liked your Zepher 7.95 @ NARAM last Summer. I think Debbie's Zepher 5 is still in that pond :-)

Bob

I was trying to remember who it belonged to. I just posted a picture of it on TRF in the galleries last night.

I miss being SAM 0058