Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj
You just left out all of the details on what the staging mechanism was and said gap staging. That usually means two motors not touching with nothing in between them and the upper stage lit by a booster stage. That's not at all what Ted described.

Ted looks like he's created and tested a well thought out system, that probably wouldn't fly at one of our NAR section launches.

Yes, I've seen folks try just letting the ejection charge light the upper stage and even had one or two successful flights that way. I've also seen the flights that didn't stage using that method. That's why it probably wouldn't pass our RSOs here.
You seem to have some sort of axe to grind. What's your problem?

While I didn't realize that Ted had installed his ersatz quickmatch, I did know that the two motors were not in direct contact with each other, hence the gap description.

No, I doubt this would be acceptable at an organized launch. So that's why it was tested with no other fliers around.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Almost shovel ready

Seeing as how I am an old fart with something of a pyro history, the idea of using a quickmatch ignition came naturally. And since this experiment was precisely that, an experiment, I did not attempt it in front of a crowd.

I believe over regulation stifles experimentation and hinders the advancement of mankind. Plus, I'm easily bored and wanted to see something new and different.

As for "gap staging" vs "direct staging", there really is no direct staging with endburning black powder motors as even though the casings are in actual contact with one another, the ignition is accomplished through the communication of fire. In either case it is a "pyrotechnic" ignition. I'm sure my experiment would void the manufacturers warranties and violate NAR rules. Sometimes I exceed the speed limits, so call a cop.

My "quickmatch" was made by immersing Dill's Pipe Cleaners into a paste of black meal powder and rubbing alcohol. After drying at room temperature for several days and then being ignited while contained in a tube, the communication of fire is nearly instantaneous. I will continue to experiment with APCP to BP staging and have some new ideas that I will pursue as a result of this experiment. If there is interest I'll publish the results here. If not, I'll just keep things between me and my rowdy friends.

There is no need for anyone to get all pissy about any of this. If you get all pissy I may have to resume making political posts.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Not so Junior

[QUOTE=Doug Sams]You seem to have some sort of axe to grind. What's your problem?[\QUOTE]

No axe, but if you're gonna give a description of something, try being accurate.

Like I said, good deal Ted, sounds like what you came up with and tested is an interesting solution.

kj
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
[QUOTE=Doug Sams]You seem to have some sort of axe to grind. What's your problem?[\QUOTE]

No axe, but if you're gonna give a description of something, try being accurate.

Like I said, good deal Ted, sounds like what you came up with and tested is an interesting solution.

kj

I agree, Doug. From now on I expect full schematics and a 3D rendering.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
Seeing as how I am an old fart with something of a pyro history, the idea of using a quickmatch ignition came naturally. And since this experiment was precisely that, an experiment, I did not attempt it in front of a crowd.

I believe over regulation stifles experimentation and hinders the advancement of mankind. Plus, I'm easily bored and wanted to see something new and different.

As for "gap staging" vs "direct staging", there really is no direct staging with endburning black powder motors as even though the casings are in actual contact with one another, the ignition is accomplished through the communication of fire. In either case it is a "pyrotechnic" ignition. I'm sure my experiment would void the manufacturers warranties and violate NAR rules. Sometimes I exceed the speed limits, so call a cop.

My "quickmatch" was made by immersing Dill's Pipe Cleaners into a paste of black meal powder and rubbing alcohol. After drying at room temperature for several days and then being ignited while contained in a tube, the communication of fire is nearly instantaneous. I will continue to experiment with APCP to BP staging and have some new ideas that I will pursue as a result of this experiment. If there is interest I'll publish the results here. If not, I'll just keep things between me and my rowdy friends.

There is no need for anyone to get all pissy about any of this. If you get all pissy I may have to resume making political posts.
Quickmatch is approved material for usage in the USA. It in short lengths is a "model rocket igniter" similar to Thermalite when it was still available. What I don't understand is any implication quickmatch is somehow not in the realm of discussion.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin

You just keep posting things like this, Ted. We are enjoying this. Very interesting stuff. Thank you.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:

kj

Doug couldn't possibly know the exact details of my project as we don't live in the same house. He also had no idea of what I had for lunch last Saturday.

We, me and Doug, had only a short window of opportunity to fly this critter and I brought it to the site fully prepared for launch. As a consequence, he did not see the internal structure employed nor did I have the time to fully explain it. Maybe I should make my airframes transparent?

Doug Sams and I share a common interest regarding "Chinese Composite Propellant" and I value his friendship and support.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:04 AM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Doug and Ted, this is one of the most interesting things I've read on YORF regarding staging. I think it's a pretty cool solution. I thought that the "homebrew" sustainer ignition system was something that my mind was trying to concoct, but couldn't quite get there. Thanks for putting words (and an actual test flight) to the AP/BP combo.

"Hoorahs" for the both of you.

Greg
Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
Doug and Ted, this is one of the most interesting things I've read on YORF regarding staging. I think it's a pretty cool solution. I thought that the "homebrew" sustainer ignition system was something that my mind was trying to concoct, but couldn't quite get there. Thanks for putting words (and an actual test flight) to the AP/BP combo.

"Hoorahs" for the both of you.

Greg

Thanks Greg.

I first posted this concept on Rocketry Planet in 2011 just before Darrell Mobley passed away. At the time I had only done a crude ground experiment using an old E30 Aerotech to an Estes D12. This was an entirely "non-flight" event with the D12 restrained and the E28 allowed to fall to the ground upon staging. I hadn't had a chance to pursue this idea until recently.

In any event I would hope that one of the major players in the hobby motor industry will pick up on this concept and produce a fully tested and certified version for the retail market.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 PM
spirit of 72

Hmm... a bored old fart who likes to play with fire and a slightly less older fart taking pictures. My heroes !

Seriously, very interesting project. A reliable higher thrust booster for class 1 level rockets would be a good thing. Other than the home-brewed nature of your quickmatch I would think this arrangement could be made to fit in somebody's safety code. I can hope anyway.

kevinj - Do you have a more accurate description of Ted's prototype ? Gap-staged seems like a pretty good one to me. Gap-staged with enhancement ?