Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2006, 10:53 PM
BP Mafia

Default My first BIG BOY project!

Nick e-mailed me last week and asked if I had time to do a build for review of a mid-power kit. My only previous kit that was close to mid-power had been an LOC Lil Nuke several years back, but I've been finding myself more entertained by the bigger kits lately, so I said yes. The kit was a Madcow Rocketry HAWK kit, just over 36" tall and powered by F & G motors. It arrived Friday, (my birthday, how appropriate,) but it wasn't until tonight that I was able to do more to it than admire it from a distance. Tonight I was able to start construction, assembling the engine mount and installing the Kevlar recovery strap. I rarely work with epoxy, but tonight I was able to keep from getting it all over like I've done on past projects. I've got some pics, but I haven't downloaded them as yet. My initial impression was that this is a SERIOUSLY nice kit, but after tonight's successful building session, my second impression is that I might have this ready to fly, albeit nekkid, this weekend at the Quark launch.
I'm scared to death.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 09-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up "Rocket's getting bigger/ And my bank account..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
My initial impression was that this is a SERIOUSLY nice kit, but after tonight's successful building session, my second impression is that I might have this ready to fly, albeit nekkid, this weekend at the Quark launch.

I'm scared to death.
As you should be, apparently.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 09-19-2006, 09:51 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Although I primarily work on LPR and MPR builds, I find myself working with epoxy more and more.
Although it is hardly required for strength on any LPR build, and is not light, it is MUCH easier to get one-step, VERY good looking fin fillets with 30min cure epoxy than it is with multiple layers of Titebond.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Out To Launch

Bill, I guess you're saving the pics for the review, eh? Got something to satiate our appetites maybe just a little? (insert sitting up and begging emoticon here)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Although it is hardly required for strength on any LPR build, and is not light, it is MUCH easier to get one-step, VERY good looking fin fillets with 30min cure epoxy than it is with multiple layers of Titebond.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that on the Thunder Roc clone in progress, as I intend to try it on an E15 when it's complete.
Established 1938
lladd.netau.net
Old 09-19-2006, 05:54 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Just don't try it with 5 minute epoxy....it cures too fast & doesn't flow well enough to make a decent fillet.
15 minute works, but I like 30 min....you can use a latex gloved finger dampened with denatured alcohol or Acetone to smooth it out and it will look REALLY good. Do the fins one at a time, and rest the rocket level & horizontal while curing.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, TURMOIL, FIASCOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-19-2006, 08:08 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Nick e-mailed me last week and asked if I had time to do a build for review of a mid-power kit. My only previous kit that was close to mid-power had been an LOC Lil Nuke several years back, but I've been finding myself more entertained by the bigger kits lately, so I said yes. The kit was a Madcow Rocketry HAWK kit, just over 36" tall and powered by F & G motors. It arrived Friday, (my birthday, how appropriate,) but it wasn't until tonight that I was able to do more to it than admire it from a distance. Tonight I was able to start construction, assembling the engine mount and installing the Kevlar recovery strap. I rarely work with epoxy, but tonight I was able to keep from getting it all over like I've done on past projects. I've got some pics, but I haven't downloaded them as yet. My initial impression was that this is a SERIOUSLY nice kit, but after tonight's successful building session, my second impression is that I might have this ready to fly, albeit nekkid, this weekend at the Quark launch.
I'm scared to death.

Sounds like a nice sized kit and an interesting build. Can't wait to read the review! I use only epoxy these days and although I have some larger pint and quart sized kits (AeroPoxy) I'll tell you what I do for mid power and when I need small amounts for a quick bond on my projects.

Wal-Mart has 100 count 3oz. plastic cups on the paper isle and they are very inexpensive. Wal-Mart also has the Devcon 5 and 30 minute epoxy in the syringes so you don't have to measure in graduated cups or try to eyeball it. I try to squeeze out very little and back off the syringe a little and mix in very small batches. I've built an entire rocket, motor mount fins and all with one $2 syringe and toss out the used cups and craft sticks in the trash. I find I'm getting lazy in my old age and I'm more inclined to use the syringe for smaller projects than to break out my bottles and have to measure

Bill, what are you going to fly the HAWK on this weekend?
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-19-2006, 08:25 PM
BP Mafia

I have to finish it first. As it stands at the moment, I'll be at the mercy of what our motor vendor has in stock. This is all new to me. I've flown two F's in the past, but my brother in law bought both of them for me. At the time, I considered a D12 a HUGE motor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Madcow Hawk motor mount.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  311.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Hawk dry-fit.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  317.9 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Old 09-19-2006, 08:53 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
I have to finish it first. As it stands at the moment, I'll be at the mercy of what our motor vendor has in stock. This is all new to me. I've flown two F's in the past, but my brother in law bought both of them for me. At the time, I considered a D12 a HUGE motor.

Very nice. Looks like plywood fins and rings with a preslotted tube and a nice boatail. Looks like a really cool kit (and big too!). Kevlar shock cord harness. Can't beat that.

My wife really loves when I stand my rockets on the table or furniture to admire them .....

Hey man, where did that crazy indian avatar come from? Was that from Underdog?
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-19-2006, 09:50 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Very nice. Looks like plywood fins and rings with a preslotted tube and a nice boatail. Looks like a really cool kit (and big too!). Kevlar shock cord harness. Can't beat that.

My wife really loves when I stand my rockets on the table or furniture to admire them .....

It's an extremely nice kit, and I'm amazed at how easy it seems to be going together. Tonights mission was to install the engine mount, which seems to have gone off without a hitch, and construct the bulkhead, which also seems to have been successful. I'll start on the fins tomorrow evening while Maria and Sarah are at CCD.
Maria doesn't mind the occasional rocket display, as long as I leave no globs of epoxy on the furniture and clean up my toys when real people visit.
And the Injun is from "Go-Go Gophers". "Him say 'Hoopy doopy.'"

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 09-20-2006, 10:38 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin

Steve, please refer to this post and the "Happy Birthday, Bill!" thread it is part of for more Go-Go Gophers info:
http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...11558#post11558
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!