Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Doug Sams's Avatar
Doug Sams Doug Sams is offline
Old Far...er...Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Plano, TX resident since 1998.
Posts: 3,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBadger
Is there a link (or other reference) that can be shared?
Here's Tim's write-up:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...ghlight=cineroc

Doug

.
__________________
YORF member #11
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Robobud's Avatar
Robobud Robobud is offline
Flying Model Rocket
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: IL
Posts: 189
Default Ordered!

I have been watching this one for a long time! Took the opportunity to order a starlight and a sprite as well!
__________________
I asked for a car, I got a computer. How's that for being born under a bad sign?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Right Wing Wacko's Avatar
Right Wing Wacko Right Wing Wacko is offline
BAR
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
...Maybe for a guitar pic signed by the greatest, Jimmy Page?!

Allen



I don't have the original, but how about a Retro-Repro model of that Pic?
__________________
Member: Washington Aerospace Club NAR Section #578
NAR #94383
TRA #15009
HPR Level 2
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 PM
kurth's Avatar
kurth kurth is offline
Low and Slow
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 46
Default

My omega arrived today. I got Production #8
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 PM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 9,480
Default

A '58 or '59 model Les Paul with a nice flame top and shaved neck will do just fine.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Right Wing Wacko's Avatar
Right Wing Wacko Right Wing Wacko is offline
BAR
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 24
Smile

Put my Omega up in the air last weekend at the Olympic Peninsula 4-H Pasture Blasture event. It received oooh's and ahh's from a number of attendees.

I made two modifications to the stock bird. I installed a Semroc ejection baffle, as I put one in pretty much every rocket I build anymore. I also replaced the plastic chute with a 15" Florescent Orange Nylon chute.

I used a D12-0 Booster with E9-6 in the sustainer. It flew high and true, weather ****ing to the east a bit due to the winds at the time of launch. The booster was recovered a short distance from the launch pad, but I had a long walk of several hundred yards to recover the rocket. It was finally found in a patch of scrub brush. The added florescent orange chute was the only thing that made it visable.

Overall it was a great flight! Only one little downer, the Nose cone came off, probably during the recovery event and was lost. Because of this it was the only flight this rocket made that day. I'll have to order a couple spares from Carl on my next order.
__________________
Member: Washington Aerospace Club NAR Section #578
NAR #94383
TRA #15009
HPR Level 2
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-02-2012, 12:07 AM
tbzep's Avatar
tbzep tbzep is offline
Dazed and Confused
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: TN
Posts: 9,480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko
Overall it was a great flight! Only one little downer, the Nose cone came off, probably during the recovery event and was lost. Because of this it was the only flight this rocket made that day. I'll have to order a couple spares from Carl on my next order.


Friction fit your replacement pretty tight with a little masking tape on the shoulder. Get some yellow electrical tape to make it look more like the original Cineroc catalog shots and add more more security. Split the tape down the middle by laying it on a clean piece of glass or other smooth surface.
__________________
I love sanding.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Doug Sams's Avatar
Doug Sams Doug Sams is offline
Old Far...er...Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Plano, TX resident since 1998.
Posts: 3,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Friction fit your replacement pretty tight with a little masking tape on the shoulder. Get some yellow electrical tape to make it look more like the original Cineroc catalog shots and add more more security. Split the tape down the middle by laying it on a clean piece of glass or other smooth surface.
In this case, with tape inside and out, I think Tim's got it covered.

But, generally speaking, with nosecones on payload sections, I like to put a string on the nosecone (using a screw eye and maybe a snap swivel) and anchor the other end in the payload section. That way, even if the nosecone comes off, perhaps due to a hard ejection, it will still be retained on the rocket.

I actually got a small zipper on the payload section of my L1 flight using this technique, but it wasn't enough to DQ the flight. However, losing the NC would have!

Doug

.
__________________
YORF member #11
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Right Wing Wacko's Avatar
Right Wing Wacko Right Wing Wacko is offline
BAR
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 24
Default

Yes, I'll probably put a eyelet on the replacement a attach it so it doesn't get away again

However that doesn't save the payload. This time all I lost was a 1oz fishing weight and some dog barf... next time... I'm glad it was way out over the field instead of over the attendee's... one oz of Lead falling 800-1000 feet could hurt! The tape on the outside sounds like a good idea.

I swear the I thought it was on pretty tight, but I think the initeria on that fishing weight must have jarred it loose, even though it was packed fairly tite with the cellulose.
__________________
Member: Washington Aerospace Club NAR Section #578
NAR #94383
TRA #15009
HPR Level 2
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-04-2012, 09:25 PM
johnnwwa johnnwwa is offline
BAR
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko
Put my Omega up in the air last weekend at the Olympic Peninsula 4-H Pasture Blasture event. It received oooh's and ahh's from a number of attendees.

I made two modifications to the stock bird. I installed a Semroc ejection baffle, as I put one in pretty much every rocket I build anymore. I also replaced the plastic chute with a 15" Florescent Orange Nylon chute.

I used a D12-0 Booster with E9-6 in the sustainer. It flew high and true, weather ****ing to the east a bit due to the winds at the time of launch. The booster was recovered a short distance from the launch pad, but I had a long walk of several hundred yards to recover the rocket. It was finally found in a patch of scrub brush. The added florescent orange chute was the only thing that made it visable.

Overall it was a great flight! Only one little downer, the Nose cone came off, probably during the recovery event and was lost. Because of this it was the only flight this rocket made that day. I'll have to order a couple spares from Carl on my next order.


I saw your Omega flight, sure put a smile on my face. Sorry about the NC.
make sure you come over next year , would love to see the Omega again.

BTW at Pasture Blaster we recorded 350 flights w/ 130 people in attendance and also 3 NAR L1 cert flights. Congrats to BEC Nice Flight!!!!
__________________
John

NAR #91135 L1
SAM #0037
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2020