Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypv
Nike-Tomahawk
USS America
AIM-54C Phoenix
Omega
Starship Excalibur

Ditto
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 05-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Latest votes:

14 USS America
13 Omega
12 Starlight
11 Starship Excalibur
11 Nike-Tomahawk 1/10

8 AIM-54C Phoenix 1/10
7 Egg Crate
6 Starship Correy
5 Nighthawk
4 Midget
4 ThunderStorm
2 Maxi-Micron
2 Arcon 1/4

Maxi-Micron is ST-18 based 1.84" OD x 21.3" tall
Midget is "Shorty" using empty casings like Sprite.
Arcon is in decision stage of either 1/4 scale or 1/3 scale (which wound be 2.04" OD and 44.7' tall in same scale as Arcas.)
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 05-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Dazed and Confused

I'm curious as to why the Omega is so high on the list. It's very easy to clone. It's just an 8FNC rocket. I built my first Cineroc downlink camera by turning my own nose cone and transition. SEMROC has the parts now, so the most recent Cineroc payload I built was a piece of cake. Looks to me like you guys would want the kits that are tougher to clone to be at the top of the list.

USS America and Starship Excalibur are the most interesting to me as kits instead of having to clone them. I don't recall what the Starship Correy is supposed to look like, but it sounds cool. The rest of the kits that I'm familiar with should be pretty easy to clone.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I'm curious as to why the Omega is so high on the list. It's very easy to clone. It's just an 8FNC rocket.
These things turn into popularity contests pretty quickly. Heck, I chimed in on the mention of Midget, yet it too is a no-brainer for cloning.

That said, for lots of builders, cutting the tubes is a hassle, as is dealing with decals. So having it all together in a kit bag is a big plus for those folks.

But, I agree, lots of kits are easily cloned, 3FNC's: Sprint, Cherokee-D, Omega-D and Midget, just to name a few.

If we focus on the really hard to find or make parts, the list would be dramatically different. For example, cloning a Mars Lander is much more difficult than a Midget, so (if it weren't already available) it would be a good candidate.

So, yeah, I agree, folks should wish for those hard-to-clone-but-popular kits and not simply their favorite kits.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 05-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
I'm curious as to why the Omega is so high on the list. It's very easy to clone. It's just an 8FNC rocket. I built my first Cineroc downlink camera by turning my own nose cone and transition. SEMROC has the parts now, so the most recent Cineroc payload I built was a piece of cake. Looks to me like you guys would want the kits that are tougher to clone to be at the top of the list.

USS America and Starship Excalibur are the most interesting to me as kits instead of having to clone them. I don't recall what the Starship Correy is supposed to look like, but it sounds cool. The rest of the kits that I'm familiar with should be pretty easy to clone.

+1 !

As for the Starship Correy:

http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...s.asp?SKU=KA-32

Good lookin' for sure.

Allen
Old 05-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox
Default Another vote

Starship Excalibur
Starlight
Starship Correy
USS America
Nike-Tomahawk
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"
Old 05-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
I'm curious as to why the Omega is so high on the list....

In the past, we have all the parts for particular models months before we released the kits, but very few sets were ordered. In some cases, we even released a bag of the parts (xKits) and they did not sell. But as soon as we released the actual kit, hundreds sold. It probably has something to do with having everything, including the instructions, in one bag.

The Omega Kit will not be exactly the same as the old kit, as all our releases are slightly different. It will work with 2.75" or 3.75" engines, including the new E12. The tubes are laser slotted with through-the-wall fins for less roll if a camera is used.

I agree that there are so many sources of so many parts that almost of the early kits can be cloned without having to buy kits. We do sell lots of parts, but once we release a kit, we notice that the number of orders that have parts to built that kit goes to zero and people buy the kits instead. I asked the question once and the answer I got was that he was not going to build the kit now, but when he opened the bag twenty years in the future, he wanted all the parts and instructions to be there.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 05-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
The Omega Kit will not be exactly the same as the old kit, as all our releases are slightly different. It will work with 2.75" or 3.75" engines, including the new E12. The tubes are laser slotted with through-the-wall fins for less roll if a camera is used.
3.75" motors would make an interesting CP/CG relationship in Cineroc configuration. It's a pretty short body without the payload section.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:05 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
I'm curious as to why the Omega is so high on the list.

Speaking for myself, I just got excited and completely missed the Midget. Given the chance, I switch them on my list.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 05-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
3.75" motors would make an interesting CP/CG relationship in Cineroc configuration. It's a pretty short body without the payload section.
It would always be flown with either the simulated Cineroc payload section or the K-52P payload section (6" BT-60 + BNC-60AH). In Cineroc configuration, CP-CG=2.4" with E12-0 to E12-6. In 52P configuration it is 3.2". There is a lot of fin area on the Omega.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com