Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Default Yet another Midget in the collection...

<mister rogers>
Can you identify this rocket? I thought you could.
</mister rogers>

Deciding to retire my 1.2x upscale Midget (at right), I started a replacement. As before, this one uses Quest T30 tubing for the sustainer.

The new one is simpler using a single tube booster. The old one's booster was kinda heavy because it used a tube-within-a-tube for scale diameter. The change in appearance is hardly noticeable.

The old one was nearly destroyed in a lawn dart and picked up some weight in the repair. The new one will be much lighter and able to fly on A10-0T boosters.

I want to get it finished soon, but have to do some business travel the next couple weeks and won't make much progress for a while But I should have it in the air before the end of the month.

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 05-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Forest Sprite

You just can't have too many Midgets. One of the all-time greatest designs, a Bill Simon masterpiece (one of many). Looks great, Doug! What size of tube did you use for the booster?

Also, do you turn your own Midget nose cones?

MK
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 05-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
You just can't have too many Midgets. One of the all-time greatest designs, a Bill Simon masterpiece (one of many). Looks great, Doug! What size of tube did you use for the booster?

Also, do you turn your own Midget nose cones?
Hi, Mark,

Thanks. The booster tube is BT-20. On the earlier one, I used Totally Tubular T-.908 (ST-9?) along with some custom rings to make the booster scale. Sometimes I over do it

I turned this cone out of cedar then hollowed out the base. It's heavier than balsa but still fairly light. I use stock cones whenever I can. Big Bertha, Big Betty and Fat Boy cones have been employed along with BT-20 and BT-50 cones from BMS. I've turned all the others from BT-5 up to 6".

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Master Modeler

A Midget is one of those that I wanted but never had in my first go at rocketry 35 years ago. I'll have to do something like this (especially since I have access to some A10-0Ts).

Tubing with a .908 OD would be ST-8. ST-9 is the same ID as BT-50.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Forest Sprite

Yup, that's ST-8. Semroc's ST-9 is a somewhat thicker walled 24mm tube (OD=0.998"). In-between them is ST-8F, which is equivalent to the old FSI RT-10 (OD= 0.921"), and the heavy-walled Series 085 tubing (OD=0.945" or exactly 24mm) which is a slip-fit into BT-50/ST-9. Right below ST-8 in size is the new Quest T21 (D5 motor tube, OD=0.835") and BT-40 (OD=0.825"). Tube trivia, I know. I can recite the dimensions of nearly every rocket tube on the market today, but I can never find my keys.

That's interesting about your nose cones - hollow cedar. Very different.

MK
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 05-03-2010, 07:53 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
That's interesting about your nose cones - hollow cedar. Very different.
No moths, either

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 06-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Default Finally finished

After being sidetracked in May, I finally got back to work and finished this one.

I was pleased to find some red Monokote trim which matched the nosecone paint very well. I was quite displeased that it was translucent. This resulted in an effect similar to silvering with decals. In this case, the slight orange peel in the paint causes a fish scale sort of coloring effect in the Monokote.

I was further bummed to find I had another sheet in the closet - same exact color - that was solid Go figure.

Anyway, I'm too lazy to peel it all off, cut new pieces and re-apply it. It actually looks OK until you get right up to it. And it looks just fine in pics

The only other thing I ran into was the booster fin rake. Somehow, I got them swept too much. I think, when I had them stacked together and was evening them up on the belt sander, I managed to change the angle of the root edge such that the fin sweep is more severe. It sorta robs the bird of its characteristic squat look, but I can live with that

Besides the change in appearance, my other worry is that will be more prone to coming in stable instead of tumbling. I'll find out when I fly it

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 06-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Sure looks good from where I'm sittin'. Ready just in time for 4th of July, too!

Joe