Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2020, 08:17 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Bill introduced it at NARCON back in March, and said it would be in Target by August. And then last night confirmed that it had been shipped to Target and should be available this week. And that Target has an exclusive through first quarter 2021.

Well, it surely Has changed with the times. I’m not sure I like the looks, especially the chute eye on top. But, the technology seems good. I agree with the black with yellow yellow stripes !! But then,,, I’m old school.....
Old 07-28-2020, 08:41 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Just picked up an Astrocam. Website said they only had one, but they had four when I got there. They also had the Rocket Science starter set. First time I’d seen one of this in a store in Georgia. Didn’t see any motors though. Wonder how that’s going to be handled?

The Rocket Science Starter Set has been much more widely available lately....but you are right, I haven’t seen motors stocked separately at Target since they carried a few RTFs a number of years ago. So once you use the two (Astrocam) or three (RSSS) in the box, one will need to go somewhere else.

In my area Fred Meyer carries motors (along with a couple of launch sets and the RSSS) at full list price. Hobby Lobby is a much better alternative for motors.

The Target web site says “limited availability” for the Astrocam at my closest store but I really do have the urge to go over there and look....even though I need another PortaPad II and Electron Beam like I need a hole in my head.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-28-2020, 08:51 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymrmissile
Well, it surely Has changed with the times. I’m not sure I like the looks, especially the chute eye on top. But, the technology seems good. I agree with the black with yellow yellow stripes !! But then,,, I’m old school.....

It looks like the camera is self contained. You could make a custom shroud for it, or just tape it to whatever rocket you want.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:30 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It looks like the camera is self contained. You could make a custom shroud for it, or just tape it to whatever rocket you want.

Yes, the camera is just the black piece with a usb plug on the end (which goes into the aeroshroud on the nose cone). A rubber band stretches across the camera to hold it in place.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:34 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I haven’t seen motors stocked separately at Target since they carried a few RTFs a number of years ago.

yep, in 2015 they cleared all their motors out, and I got about 20 packs of B6 and C6 for anywhere from 2.99 - 4.99 (the stores weren't consistent with their clearance pricing)
Old 07-29-2020, 12:40 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
yep, in 2015 they cleared all their motors out, and I got about 20 packs of B6 and C6 for anywhere from 2.99 - 4.99 (the stores weren't consistent with their clearance pricing)

There’s no Targets in my area. Online search found several Astrocams, but none ship. I can wait.... more important kits I’m looking for. Still, I want one.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:54 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:

I did that two different times at our Walmart. I got tons of A10's and C6's, among other types. I ended up with their display boxes too. Many were 50 cents a pack.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:56 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I did that two different times at our Walmart. I got tons of A10's and C6's, among other types. I ended up with their display boxes too. Many were 50 cents a pack.

This happened to me at a local Hobby Lobby. Found lots of D12 s @ 2.99 per 3 pk....
Old 07-29-2020, 01:07 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymrmissile
There’s no Targets in my area. Online search found several Astrocams, but none ship. I can wait.... more important kits I’m looking for. Still, I want one.

Hopefully Estes will offer either the cam or the rocket as a stand-alone item - Bill Stine said something to that effect during the webinar but it won’t be until later in 2021. The most intriguing thing about the cam to me is the weight - less than 8 grams - that should fly well on a bunch of different size rockets. That and the fact that Estes made another deal with a large, mainstream retailer to carry their stuff - should be another step in the right direction, ensuring Estes long-term viability.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:14 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_650
That and the fact that Estes made another deal with a large, mainstream retailer to carry their stuff - should be another step in the right direction, ensuring Estes long-term viability.

And related to THAT, I see on target.com that the Rocket Science Starter Set has been revised. It now includes a "mini AltiTrak" rather than the paper tube/cardstock cutout thing one had to make up. It also is now $10 less expensive (at least at Target) than it used to be. They did reduce it to two motors rather than three.

It's interesting that just yesterday I saw the prior version of the Rocket Science Starter set at Fred Meyer (a regional chain owned by Kroger) at the $40 price. This set was, originally, a Target-only item.

I suppose at some point we should wander back to the 1/100 Saturn IB.....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE