Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Yeah, what Kurt said.

Kurt has been a wonderful fount of knowledge and experience for me in my Cineroc 'memories' quest, so you can depend on and trust what he has to say.

I've not gotten to the flying stage with mine as of yet, but Kurt has a number of times, as well as others here on the forum.

Also, on the Cineroc/Omega 'combo' offer from Estes, I don't know for certain but I suspect that 'combo' did NOT come with any special instructions or such. It was probably just the Cineroc in its box and the Omega in its respective kit bag, much like if you bought them separately. In other words, if you get the Omega instruction set and the Cineroc instruction manual, then you are probably not missing anything.

However, if I have that assumption wrong, someone please correct me.

Finally, on my vintage Omega build, the Omega rocket kit did NOT come with any 'Cineroc' decals. I want to get one of the black Cineroc decals to go on the Omega bodytube like they show in the catalog photo, but one did not come in my Omega kit (Gordy I assume can supply them).

I don't know if the Omega ever came with any Cineroc decals. Again, if anyone has a different data point, please chime in.

Earl

[EDIT] I've been working with Tango Papa, and he's got a set of fin, body tube, and camera body decals now available. The body tube decal is the one that was seen in the catalogs, but never shipped. The nice thing here is that the blues of the body tube and fin decals will match.

Jim

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Last edited by K'Tesh : 10-26-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
It is adhesive. The scan provided shows it attached to its backing paper. You can see that it is divided down the middle. One strip for the nosecone, the other strip for the adapter base.

Earl

I knew that the original strips were adhesive, but the plastic decorating tapes don't mention adhesive or not. If someone can post a link to the product (say at Home Depot/Ace Hardware) it would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Not quite the combo offer from back then, but here's my write-up: http://www.doug79.com/omegad/cineroc

Nice job on the rocket! I'm really curious how you got that silver/chrome to turn out so well. I've got a pair of Estes's Mercury Atlas rockets and the wraps have me a little... um... intimidated.

Well, I've got to go to Home Depot anyway, I'll poke around there when I get there. I'll report back if I find anything.

Thanks
Jim

Old 04-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

This seems to be bordering on an obsession.

I'm just saying...

I'll just make decals, I won't judge.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 04-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Talking Only Bordering?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
This seems to be bordering on an obsession.

I'm just saying...

Bordering? Hell! I need a passport just to get back into the country.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Master Modeler

Yeah, I can't find an example online but I think they are made by 3M. There are various colors and most every hardware store around here has a rack with the colors. This is pretty much it but is an assortment, what I usually see is the individual rolls for sale:

http://www.shop3m.com/70006409562.h...CFa9aMgodnSsAjg

I just stuck it to a piece of glass or thin sheet metal and sliced it to the correct width.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:47 PM
BAR

I'm wondering if one could substitute Trim Monokote or some type of model airplane covering trim tape in lieu of the original tape... or if in fact it WAS some sort of model airplane hinge tape or something of that sort, color matched with "Cub yellow" or something of that sort...

Any ideas?? Just tossing out ideas myself...

Later! OL JR
Old 04-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Question Tape and Parachutes...

Ok, went to Home Depot and didn't find what I was looking for there. I did find duct tape that was yellow, but that's not the right material. I also found an assortment of colored of electrical tape that might work in a pinch, but it wasn't 3/4" wide. I think Ace and Harbor Freight are the next places I look.

Hold it... Is this the vinyl tape that is made from the same stuff as sign making films? The film (and rolls of the color) come with a backing sheet, and isn't stretchy, or stuck to itself like rolls of duct/electrical/masking tape? Is that the material you (who know) think this is?

Or... This stuff from Amazon.com JVCC V-36 Colored Vinyl Tape: 3/4 in. x 36 yds. (Yellow). That's the closest thing I'm guessing. There are several reviews criticizing its adhesive qualities (low tack) which would make it a lot more likely not pulling off paint.

I'm also now thinking about the parachute. Does anybody know where I can find a period 'chute?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:59 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Not quite the combo offer from back then, but here's my write-up: http://www.doug79.com/omegad/cineroc

Did you ever get around to flying it?

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Question Request for more photos...

Any chance I could talk some of you Cineroc owners out of some close images of the outer casing (especially the fairing front, top, left and right side, and aft facing forward). I'd take them myself, if I could only get one for myself, but Ebay is being quite quiet on the Cineroc front as of late.

And another request... If one of you would be willing to make a press mold of the fairing I'd REALLY be in your debt.

Thanks Again!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh : 04-08-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Did you ever get around to flying [your Cineroc clone]?
Alas, no

I was anguishing over that when I posted earlier. I saw the date on the write-up - from nearly 3 years ago - and felt guilty for not having yet flown it. But I have many birds in that shape - all finished with no belt notches

But having three kids driving keeps me very busy so I'm not falling behind in rocketry due to laziness - just due to other priorities. And I know someday I'll get back to flying more That is, I know I shouldn't feel guilty about neglecting rocketry, but it's not hard to get frustrated when I think about

Doug

YORF member #11