Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2005, 02:58 AM
BP Mafia

Default And another thing.....

Now that most of my rockets are moved into the new digs, I decided to do a check to see which ones need work. The answer is LOTS! I put a fin back on my Red Max clone tonight. All it needs is some touch up and clearcoat to fly proudly again. Two of the fins still have the original fillets in place, but the one that was off looked like it had been replaced three or four times. Getting all the excess glue off was a pain, but I think the new glue joint will suffice. My Sky Raider clone has all of its fins intact, but the little ring broke off of the nose cone. Easy fix. The Renegade has a loose fin from its last E flight. It landed hard right on the end of the fin, which bent the tube some as well as delaminating the fin badly. The Centuri Scram Jet clone just needs a new nose cone and recovery system and should be an easy fix. The Wolverine decals are yellowed and the thing has never flown right, so I'm scrapping the whole body and sticking the nose cone onto a new body (with balsa fins this time.) The Avenger needs new fin fillets on the sustainer, and the whole thing could use a new coat of paint. The amazing thing is how long it's been since a lot of these have flown. I let the fleet get a little shabby, but by spring there should be a marked difference. (Not to mention a lot of new rockets to fly alongside.)

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 09-22-2005, 05:59 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
The amazing thing is how long it's been since a lot of these have flown. I let the fleet get a little shabby, but by spring there should be a marked difference. (Not to mention a lot of new rockets to fly alongside.)

hmm, sounds familiar...

and it's adictive, like I dug out my old kits while out of work, to relieve stress,etc - then started fixing them up and came online lokoing for info / parts - then saw all these cool palns,etc - then found that Carl / Semroc had lots of parts, too :-) .... and the rest, as they say, is History.

to quote mt friend Nick Hills, in an email just last night - " ......it just comes down to too many rockets and not enough time or money. :-( "

~ AL
Old 09-23-2005, 02:51 AM
BP Mafia

Tonight I reset the fin on the HoJo that I rescued off of Ebay a few years back. It's a rough looking old bird, and shows definite signs of having been built by a kid, but a kid who tried hard. I think I flew it last just before my 40th birthday, so it's been grounded for three years. (It tossed a fin on that day.) My Red Max will get a shot of red paint around the new fillet and some new decals. I built the Red Max in 2001 and didn't have a way to print the decals with the white, so I bought some white shelf paper and cut it to shape just inside the black lines of the decals. A real PITA, but it turned out pretty well. The only problem is that now the decals are flaking off around the edges and the white is showing through where it shouldn't be. Easy fix, but I'll fly it as is first. I found the missing fins from my Astron Shrike, another Ebay refugee, but the corpse of that bird is buried in another box at mom and dads. It was one that got crushed when we had our floors done last year, but I can't remember if it was going to be able to be salvaged or not. Last of the Ebay birds was the Satellite Interceptor, which just needed to have a rear fin replaced due to a hard landing. There was still a Beta that was a part of this particular Ebay haul, but I ran out of time. (It's hot pink and silver and the builder used ALL of the decals PLUS some wraps from another project. Heavy duty!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Astron Shrike.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  309.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Hippy Dip Beta first flight.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  485.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Satellite Interceptor on pad at Pendery.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  335.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Der Red Max, August, 2002.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  359.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Honest John.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  325.7 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper

Last edited by A Fish Named Wallyum : 09-24-2005 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Found the missing HoJo pic