Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2011, 08:28 AM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Question Oracle versus windows 7

Can someone help me figure out how to download the outdated oracle video cam to my windows 7 computer?!! Thanx, dannymrmissile. Reach me @ : dannyo@carolina.rr.com
Old 10-13-2011, 10:44 AM
BAR

Good luck on that one... not sure if the "proprietary software" in the Estes Oracle is even compatible with Vista, let alone Windows 7... Your best bet may be to contact Estes and ask.

I think you'd do better to just get a keyfob cam off Ebay or from stateside vendors and retire the Oracle. Not to put too fine a point on it, but the Oracle is REALLY outdated-- the resolution and frame rate are low, the memory capacity is pathetic, and it's volatile memory so if you lose battery contact or the power dies, you lose the video, and it can only store a couple minute's worth at most... Plus the proprietary software isn't supported by modern platforms...

The keyfob cams are cheap and readily available, can record for up to two hours (or more) with an appropriate sized micro flash card, don't lose the data if the battery dies (so long as the file closes properly, and there are "work arounds" if it doesn't that work in many cases). They have much better resolution and frame rate and don't use specialized software to download-- the files are in a common format viewable on any computer (more or less).

More here... http://www.chucklohr.com/808/

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1362692

Good luck! OL JR
Old 10-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
... the Oracle is REALLY outdated-- the resolution and frame rate are low, the memory capacity is pathetic, and it's volatile memory so if you lose battery contact or the power dies, you lose the video, and it can only store a couple minute's worth at most...

And no audio .....

The Oracle was a cool idea and is pretty well-designed. It would have been nice if Estes were able to upgrade it with better electronics.

-- Roger
Old 10-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymrmissile
Can someone help me figure out how to download the outdated oracle video cam to my windows 7 computer?!! Thanx, dannymrmissile. Reach me @ : dannyo@carolina.rr.com

Your best bet is to find someone with a laptop or computer still running windows XP. Setting it up on that and then transferring to your regular computer.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymrmissile
Can someone help me figure out how to download the outdated oracle video cam to my windows 7 computer?!!

The software that Estes supplies doesn't work on Vista or Windows 7. I haven't tried any of the following and haven't heard of anyone else having any success using the Oracle with Windows7, but ...

You might be able to use the Estes software by running XP in a "virtual computer" under Windows 7. You can download "Virtual PC with Windows XP" from:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vi...c/download.aspx

I think the Oracle used TWAIN to download images. That means that the "video" is actually downloaded as a series of still images and assembled into a video by the software. if you have a program, such as Photoshop, which supports TWAIN, you might be able to plug in the Oracle and download images from it as if they came from a scanner. And there are utilities that will convert a series of still images into a video.

-- Roger

Last edited by jadebox : 10-13-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:45 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
And no audio .....

The Oracle was a cool idea and is pretty well-designed. It would have been nice if Estes were able to upgrade it with better electronics.

-- Roger

A lil bird told me that there just might be some new offerings in that regard from the Big E at some point in the future...

So keep your checkbooks handy... LOL

Later! OL JR
Old 10-13-2011, 06:29 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Good luck on that one... not sure if the "proprietary software" in the Estes Oracle is even compatible with Vista, let alone Windows 7... Your best bet may be to contact Estes and ask.

I think you'd do better to just get a keyfob cam off Ebay or from stateside vendors and retire the Oracle. Not to put too fine a point on it, but the Oracle is REALLY outdated-- the resolution and frame rate are low, the memory capacity is pathetic, and it's volatile memory so if you lose battery contact or the power dies, you lose the video, and it can only store a couple minute's worth at most... Plus the proprietary software isn't supported by modern platforms...

The keyfob cams are cheap and readily available, can record for up to two hours (or more) with an appropriate sized micro flash card, don't lose the data if the battery dies (so long as the file closes properly, and there are "work arounds" if it doesn't that work in many cases). They have much better resolution and frame rate and don't use specialized software to download-- the files are in a common format viewable on any computer (more or less).

Good luck! OL JR

I wrote you a long letter of thanx today-hope you got it. forum e mailed me & said I sent it incorrectly thru my outbox and detoured the forum page. Anyhow Im new to computers & finding myself correcting things today. All your help was appreciated!!! dannymrmissile
Old 10-13-2011, 06:33 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
Your best bet is to find someone with a laptop or computer still running windows XP. Setting it up on that and then transferring to your regular computer.

GREAT idea. Thanx a lot. dannymrmissile.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:39 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadebox
The software that Estes supplies doesn't work on Vista or Windows 7. I haven't tried any of the following and haven't heard of anyone else having any success using the Oracle with Windows7, but ...

You might be able to use the Estes software by running XP in a "virtual computer" under Windows 7. You can download "Virtual PC with Windows XP" from:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vi...c/download.aspx

I think the Oracle used TWAIN to download images. That means that the "video" is actually downloaded as a series of still images and assembled into a video by the software. if you have a program, such as Photoshop, which supports TWAIN, you might be able to plug in the Oracle and download images from it as if they came from a scanner. And there are utilities that will convert a series of still images into a video.

-- Roger

Hi. Dont know if Ive replied 2 you as being new to computers Ive made a mess of my day! Anyhow, thanx for the response-VERY helpful. But I think Im gonna put tha thang on tha shelf & get a up to date one as per luke's suggestion! Who knows, maybe Ill do both, since Im old school & like 2 make old things work like new! dannymrmissile
Old 10-13-2011, 06:45 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Default oracle

Quote:

Good luck! OL JR
Today's the day for me messing up on messageing so if ive already replied to you, sorry! Your feedback was very helpful & appreciated! I think I did write you, but wanted to be sure. Thanx! dannymrmissile