Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2020, 05:28 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Great to see you back, Steve!

Hey thanks Scott. I thought about you the other day. The old email auctions you ran came to mind. I wondered if I could find some of the composite dynamics stuff I bought through those auctions. Those were the days huh?
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 05-07-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:37 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
TCB...Elvis' personal rocket collection?

If not TCB In a Flash, I don't know. That's the only one I remember, but I don't remember the actual kits that were offered.

Maybe "Taking Care of Business" is what TCB Rocketry stood for, who knows! I went to the wayback machine and I couldn't find anything on that rocket or company.
Did you look at the note on the nose cone that is inside the sealed bag in the picture? Funny stuff ... Our Louisiana humidity doesn't care if that nose cone was poly-bagged in a controlled atmosphere. Now I'm scared to cut it open
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate

Last edited by snaquin : 05-07-2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:34 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Hey thanks Scott. I thought about you the other day. The old email auctions you ran came to mind. I wondered if I could find some of the composite dynamics stuff I bought through those auctions. Those were the days huh?

Ha! Somewhere on an old backup drive I believe I have copies of all those old auction html files. Those were the days...

Somewhere in my basement I have some of the old CD kits with the cast resin cones. I believe I have some of their motors down there somewhere as well.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 05-07-2020, 06:41 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Wow, you and Jay back around the same time! It's like the virus woke something primitive in some of us. Either that, or we're all just bored out of our gourds. Good to see you around again.
Quote:
Really, huh? I just saw the posts from Jay on the Tau Zero. Our governor extended the stay at home order until 5/15 since New Orleans area got hit pretty bad. Not sure when my doc will let me return to work though. I have two check marks on the "underlying medical conditions" list so I'll probably be inside a while.
I got laid off on April 27th, and even though Idaho began "reopening" May 1, it could be a while before various businesses get back up to previous production levels, given the precautions against the COVID-19 virus.

So we'll see how much we can get done in the interim.

Good to see you here as well, Steve!
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 05-07-2020, 06:44 PM
The_Ripper

... I had to move all of these rockets from on top of another bin of parts that I found. All neatly stacked on top of the bin for years I didn't know the bin was even there
From left to right. SLS Lune R-1, SLS Lil' Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart, SLS Arcas, AAA Nike Ram Clone, ShadowAero Blackbird, ARG T222-24, ARG T222-24 prototype, LOC/Precision Weasel-29, SSRS Lasor-134 Clone.

Temporarily putting all these into the garage to make some room ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_0111 002.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  1.57 MB  
SAM# 0052

Old 05-07-2020, 08:00 PM
The_Ripper

Okay, so how do you guys store magazines? I have every issue of Tripolitan and High power Rocketry from Aug 1988 until Bruce Kelly stopped printing. I have every issue of Sport Rocketry starting from when I joined NAR 12/2005 [I think].
Do you store in containers like these or have a better more compact way to store? The small containers I have are a little long but close ... the big container takes up too much room need to rethink that one
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_0114 002.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  1.75 MB  
SAM# 0052

Old 05-07-2020, 09:40 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Maybe "Taking Care of Business" is what TCB Rocketry stood for, who knows! I went to the wayback machine and I couldn't find anything on that rocket or company.
Did you look at the note on the nose cone that is inside the sealed bag in the picture? Funny stuff ... Our Louisiana humidity doesn't care if that nose cone was poly-bagged in a controlled atmosphere. Now I'm scared to cut it open

If I could change one element of Georgia weather, it would be the humidity! The older I get, the more it seems to wrankle me. Don’t mind the heat, but couple it with the soup-like humidity we have here eight months out of the year and it is a recipe for discomfort...not to mention what it does for attempts at rocket paint jobs! Anyway...you know what I mean, certainly.

But the main thing I wanted to say was Welcome Back ! (And Jay, too!). Sorry to hear of the challenges you have experienced, especially during this time of national health challenges (I’ve got one strike on my ‘card’ too, so I gotta take extra care when I’m out also). Glad you are on the mend.

But great to have you both back!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-07-2020, 11:15 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:

Okay. I have been off the forum for a good while. A few years ago I was trying to inventory the mess of rocket stuff that I have in too many places around the house and in the garage. I had a near death experience and then I was in the ICU for a week and the recovery period was really long. No, trying to sort out all the rocketry stuff that I had accumulated didn't cause the illness ... and I am okay! But I missed you guys on YORF

So today I started looking for rocket things. All sorts of rocket things in boxes, dresser drawers you name it. I started with four bins that stuff was tossed into and I'm finding things that I didn't realize I had and also some things I don't know where they came from.

Like this TCB kit ... well actually two of them. One is opened the other is still sealed. Basswood LONG nose cones, nice white tubes and thin fiberglass fins. Parts are separated into separate little bags with a wrap around fin alignment guide and instructions. A well thought out and well packaged kit. I remember back in the day [late 80's] Ross with Magnum had a line called TCB in a Flash but those were very large HPR kits. The only indication of where these came from is an email address on the back of the instructions: tcbrockets@yahoo.com

Anyone know anything about these kits? I don't remember where I got them and there is no city or state. I can scan the instructions with my iPad if anyone want to see them.

If any of you have unearthed anything recently that looks interesting please feel free to post to this thread ... would be cool to see it!

Found the first two items in a shoe box that I thought had been thrown out years ago by mistake. Bought the wadding at Eric Snooks Toy Shop in Bath on a trip to the UK in 1995. Just found out that they closed up shop in 2017 ( https://www.toynews-online.biz/2017...-shop-to-close/ ). Found the LJ-II in a hobby shop in Oxford on the same trip. The Centuri wadding must have come in a ebay lot, no idea when it was purchased. Found these in another shoe box mixed in with a bunch of Centuri odds and ends. Not sure when Centuri sold this type of wadding - has anyone here ever used it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_1092.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  398.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1088.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  675.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_1090.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  493.1 KB  
SAM #0031
Old 05-07-2020, 11:36 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Found the first two items in a shoe box that I thought had been thrown out years ago by mistake. Bought the wadding at Eric Snooks Toy Shop in Bath on a trip to the UK in 1995. Just found out that they closed up shop in 2017 ( https://www.toynews-online.biz/2017...-shop-to-close/ ). Found the LJ-II in a hobby shop in Oxford on the same trip. The Centuri wadding must have come in a ebay lot, no idea when it was purchased. Found these in another shoe box mixed in with a bunch of Centuri odds and ends. Not sure when Centuri sold this type of wadding - has anyone here ever used it?

Crepe wadding is pretty much all I have ever used on model rockets (several different other types on high power rockets).

Centuri starting selling the crepe wadding around about '73. It is what came with my Centuri Screaming Eagle starter set. But, I never bought any actual packs from Centuri after I used what came in my starter set. I could get large sheets of it MUCH cheaper at the department store and cut it into rectangles the size of the Centuri stuff. Much later, I acquired a number of packs of the Centuri wadding (as you have pictured) and that was the first time I ever saw what the Centuri crepe paper wadding packs looked like...and it was something like 30 years after the fact, long after Centuri had gone out of business.

They actually sold both types of wadding -- the crepe and the earlier 'cotton' type -- for many years, maybe even up until '83 when they went out business.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 05-07-2020, 11:43 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Okay, so how do you guys store magazines? I have every issue of Tripolitan and High power Rocketry from Aug 1988 until Bruce Kelly stopped printing. I have every issue of Sport Rocketry starting from when I joined NAR 12/2005 [I think].
Do you store in containers like these or have a better more compact way to store? The small containers I have are a little long but close ... the big container takes up too much room need to rethink that one

I use cardboard magazine files like these from Banker’s Box (and others - even IKEA has ‘em): https://www.amazon.com/Corrugated-C...n/dp/B0061UJ0CW
AMA 42160
KG7AIE