Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2024, 06:28 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston2021
Yeah. This Boeing fixation, I think, may be due to what I pointed out previously in this thread. It happens with natural phenomena like bird and fish kills, common events where when two or more happen to occur in close proximity in location or time makes the national news at which point every journalism major starts looking for them and reporting them.
Are there really more things going wrong on airplanes?
Noticing more problems with Boeing planes doesn't mean there are actually more problems with aviation safety.
Apr 19, 2024

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/...irplane-crashes

Excerpt:

So what's actually happening? Are more planes having incidents than ever before? Or are we just hearing about more incidents?

It?s mostly the latter. Minor aviation incidents with few or no injuries - like those listed above - happen constantly. They just don't make the news.

So things aren't going wrong on planes at an unusual rate - you're hearing about it at an unusual rate because, ever since the January incident, journalists are paying much more attention and writing stories about relatively minor plane incidents, and people are nervous about planes and are eager to read stories about such incidents.

Various minor issues, from engine trouble to maintenance issues, were always happening under the radar but weren't newsworthy; now, the same incidents are news, especially if they happen on a Boeing (and given that almost half of the US commercial fleet is made by Boeing, they often do).
The other day I sat next to a woman who has a profound fear of flying. I wanted to comfort her, so I said, "Don't worry, we're not gonna' crash. Statistically, we got a better chance of being bitten by a shark." Then I showed her the scar on my elbow from a shark attack. I said, "I got this when my plane went down off of Florida." - Dennis Regan
Old 04-22-2024, 01:40 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston2021
[B]So things aren't going wrong on planes at an unusual rate - you're hearing about it at an unusual rate because, ever since the January incident, journalists are paying much more attention and writing stories about relatively minor plane incidents, and people are nervous about planes and are eager to read stories about such incidents.

Various minor issues, from engine trouble to maintenance issues, were always happening under the radar but weren't newsworthy; now, the same incidents are news, especially if they happen on a Boeing (and given that almost half of the US commercial fleet is made by Boeing, they often do).[/I]

Yup!
AMA 42160
KG7AIE