Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2005, 11:13 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
No, not like the cheeks on the EIRP Starship Excalibur...

Imagine a centering ring, about 3/16" thick, with one "face" rounded to fit up against the curvature of the main tube. I'm thinking about the little satellites from the SSV...

Bad example, now that I look more closely at the instruction scans, but imagine if those satellites were thicker, just hollowed out...

Gotcha.
Uh, no. Too zit-like.
I've still got some styrene from the Rokitflite Odyssey build. I might try some detail work with that, but I don't know. I have a tendency to overdo things. (Like BT-20J's. )

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 10-07-2005, 12:13 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Gotcha.
Uh, no. Too zit-like.
I've still got some styrene from the Rokitflite Odyssey build. I might try some detail work with that, but I don't know. I have a tendency to overdo things. (Like BT-20J's. )

Warlords don't have zits or pock-marked faces, huh?

Hmmnnn...

In the words of Benny Hill (as Idi Amin...) "I gots to sit and constipate on dis awhile..."

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 10-07-2005, 02:36 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Warlords don't have zits or pock-marked faces, huh?

I don't know any actual Warlords. Guess I'm lucky that way.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 10-07-2005, 09:26 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
I think "V" down looks better, Bill.

I agree - pic "2"

more "Star Trek-ey" with the pods on top, as opposed to, maybe Estes Starspeeder-ey the other way ?

will be neat when done ... I need to be more imaginative like that, have a partly built project I got from a fellow rocketeer in a box of 'junk' he unloaded on me ( for a fee, lol ) .

it's 2.6" (real tight fit heavywall BT80), with a 29mm and (8) 18mm around that - the 18mm will not fit into the tube, so they stick out the back about 4", first thought I had when I got it in the boxlot was 'Dragonship 7 / Starship Excaliber', but that's as far as it got :-(

will have to watch for ideas to steal :-) , and more on barclone,etc, too /

~ AL

sitting here bummed since the launch tommorrow is all rained out ......
Old 10-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
I can't decide which way this rocket looks best. Which of the two views below do you think works? Why? I still have a couple of "cannons" to put in place, (some orphaned 10.5mm Apogee tubing,) and a cockpit, so that will also enter into the decision. Anyone see a definite winner here?
Bill,
Try putting another tube between these two fins. Test fit a piece of BT-20 as well as other sizes. Maybe BT-60 or 70 is the right size. It doesn't need to come all the in to touch the main BT. Perhaps bevelling it to match the fins' leading edges. Just a thought. Doug
Old 10-11-2005, 12:17 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Bill,
Try putting another tube between these two fins. Test fit a piece of BT-20 as well as other sizes. Maybe BT-60 or 70 is the right size. It doesn't need to come all the in to touch the main BT. Perhaps bevelling it to match the fins' leading edges. Just a thought. Doug

I tried this, but it looked.........pregnant. I pulled out the sheet of canopy patterns that I got from Apogee a few years ago and found one that I liked, so I might have it ready to paint before the next launch. I even lucked out and found a decal to use for the main fin. (Not really a decal, but it will work as one for this project. Kind of a fish/pirate theme. Almost spooky if you think about it. )

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-11-2005, 12:28 AM
BP Mafia

Default Saturday's maiden voyage

Saturday at VOA was pretty windy for rockets. (Would have been a GREAT day for my Mach 10, but I forgot the weighted marker cone. ) The Warlord was my second flight and behaved pretty much as expected in the wind. It cocked heavily off the pad and clawed its way to a respectable altitude on the C6-5. Ejection came just as it tipped over and it recovered several hundred yards out into the cross country course. I liked the performance and wanted to give it a go on a B6-4, but I got busy with other flights and never got the chance to get it prepped again. I've decided on a metallic bronze and black paint scheme, with a pirated logo on the sail.
Does the Flying Spaghetti Monster mean anything to anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Warlord on Quark pads.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  398.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  jollyfish2.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  74.7 KB  

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 10-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Warlord Logo

Quote:
I've decided on a metallic bronze and black paint scheme, with a pirated logo on the sail.
Does the Flying Spaghetti Monster mean anything to anyone?

If I'd been consuming a beverage right now, that comment would have been a real "Drink-Spewer."

Cheers,

--Jay
Old 10-21-2005, 07:13 PM
I'm not a BAR, I just never quit...

That is a nice stove.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:57 PM
BP Mafia

Thought I'd throw in an update.
With the EMRR Challenge coming to an end, I needed to get out to fly a paper rocket I designed and built. Since I didn't have any decent lift-off shots of the Warlord, I thought I'd toss it into the fray just to get one. I went to Johnny's to buy some 1/4A engines for the paper rocket, and picked up some B4-2s for the Warlord. First up was the paper rocket, a downscale of my first ever scratch build back in 1977 that I called the Phantom Cruiser. The P.C. was made out of a Papa John's Pizza mailer and actually turned out looking pretty good. I made everything except the nose cone from the mailer, (the nose cone was made from a sheet of wrapped letterhead from work.) It was actually quite a bit easier than I expected and I was starting to think that it might be a pretty good little performer. First flight was on the 1/4A. So was the last flight.
Yeah, I killed it on its first flight. Well, more to the point, the EJECTION CHARGE killed it. The flight was great, straight up and fairly high for such a small engine. At ejection, which sounded like it was just over my head instead of 100' in the air, I noticed something flying away from the rocket, but I thought it was just the engine kicking. When I arrived at the crash site, I found the body with the engine partially ejected, but no nose cone. I'd seen the general direction that the cone flew in, but hadn't thought it important enough to track. Never found it. AND I missed the launch shot. ****. I'd brought along a 1/2A and an A3 for the next two flights, planning to fly this little thing to death, but I hadn't intended for the death to come THAT fast.
Flight two was the Warlord on the newly purchased B4-2. This is a heavy rocket, and it leaves the pad SLOWLY on the B4, so I figured I'd have no problem getting the launch picture. Wrong. The lift-off was as slow as I expected, but I didn't even get it smoking on the pad. The flight was great, right up until ejection. Once again it sounded like it was going off in my ear and I was suddenly watching the nose cone and parachute go one way while the body fell another way. I followed the body down and got several pics of it before it hit. When it hit I saw several pieces bounce, so I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. The nose cone and parachute landed a hundred or so feet away, so I went to collect the pieces of the airframe first. There were three. It had landed on the frozen ground directly on the big fins and two of them snapped off. They weren't just delaminated, but broken off in jagged chunks. The interesting thing that I found was that the elastic shock cord was what failed, not the Kevlar. It had snapped in two just above the point where it attached to the Kevlar. Fixing the mess is a possibility, but I'm not sure I even want to do it. It will never look the same and it started out as a mistake anyway. I'm seriously thinking about buying some Quest motors online, just to see how the Quest ejection charges are. I'm getting tired of losing rockets to the Estes charges.

I miss being SAM 0058