Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
An independent LHS in milwaukee has started carrying semroc too, just since iHobby. A selection of maybe 10 different kits, very nice to see. Now the dilemma, should I encourage them by buying there, or purchase direct from Semroc, thereby giving them more profit? Which way is more likely to ensure the long-term viability of Semroc? And my wife says I overanalyze stuff

Support the hobby shop.

Show the hobby shop owner that there IS a market for this kind of product.

Carl@Co. would not have gone to the effort of getting their product into hobby shops unless it is the direction they want to take the company and can still make money.

Bob
Old 11-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
The revolution has begun in earnest! There are genuine model rocket kits with balsa parts hanging proudly inside a hobby shop!
Quote:
Now the dilemma, should I encourage them by buying there, or purchase direct from Semroc, thereby giving them more profit? Which way is more likely to ensure the long-term viability of Semroc?
Buy from your local hobby shop!

We feel that the long term future of model rocketry is in your local hobby shop and your local club! We would not be actively placing our kits in hobby shops if we preferred that you buy directly from us. Since you will never see our products in Wal-Mart or toy stores, we will aggressively and loyally back hobby shops that carry our product line. Our customers are protected by our same 100% satisfaction guarantee no matter where they buy our products.

If your local hobby shop does not carry our line, ask them to contact us. If they place a net order of $300 in the next 6 months and mention your name, we will send you your choice of a Saturn 1B or SLS Hustler!

We are serious about local hobby shops!
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 11-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Junior ??? Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Support the hobby shop.

Show the hobby shop owner that there IS a market for this kind of product.

Carl@Co. would not have gone to the effort of getting their product into hobby shops unless it is the direction they want to take the company and can still make money.

Bob
Bob!
Stop it! There you go reading my mind again!

Thanks to all for the thoughts.
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Old 11-17-2006, 04:22 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
If your local hobby shop does not carry our line, ask them to contact us. If they place a net order of $300 in the next 6 months and mention your name, we will send you your choice of a Saturn 1B or SLS Hustler!

The hobby shop PaulK was talking about in his last message is Greenfield News & Hobby. We hold our club meetings there. As club members we get a 10%-20% discount there. I can't remember off the top of my head what the exact discount amount is. They also carry Sunward kits. I'm not sure of Flis Kits are stocked there yet or not.

That's a great offer you're making there, Carl. I'd be interested in finding out if you get any more hobby shops to carry your products using us as your salespeople. Let us know how it works, no need to mention names.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 11-17-2006, 09:24 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Lightbulb Handouts for Local Hobby Stores?

Quote:
We would not be actively placing our kits in hobby shops if we preferred that you buy directly from us. [SNIP]

We are serious about local hobby shops!
Dear Carl,

Do you have some kind of press release (which prominently features the SEMROC logo) that we could print out and give to our local hobby shop owners? Something that maybe we could download from your website?

I'd been wondering that for months, but this thread is as good a reason as any to ask the question now.

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 11-17-2006, 09:44 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
....... Now the dilemma, should I encourage them by buying there, or purchase direct from Semroc, thereby giving them more profit? ......

If you buy from the LHS, they are more likely to keep kits in stock. If they are in stock, then they are likely to be picked up by impulse buyers.

I'm sure a lot of sales will be from shoppers who may only be mildly interested in rocketry as a casual hobby and therefore, would never have bought a Semroc kit if it were not right in front of them.

So, I think, more total sales if the kits are in the hobby shops.

Personally, I would love it if there was a real hobby shop close to where I live that stocked rockets. The closest one to me mainly caters to the plastic model and train crowd. I've asked about rockets but he doesn't seem interested.

There are a couple of shops a little over an hour away in opposite directions and when I'm in the area I always stop in to browse. I have never left without buying something even if I know I could have gotten it cheaper elsewhere.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Bob!
Stop it! There you go reading my mind again!

Carl,

Sorry about that. I will try not to do it, again.

BTW, while I was looking around in your mind, I saw the new kits you were planning to release.

In order to save you time, I contacted your vendors and ordered all the parts. I used Semroc purchase order numbers. The parts should be arriving in the next few weeks.

I didn't order the decals or create the instruction booklets. I figured I should leave something for you to work on.

No need to pay me, just send me two of each of the new kits will be fine.

Bob
Old 11-20-2006, 07:49 AM
BAR

Thumbs up

This is a good thread, and some insightful analysis of the long term benefits of buying from a LHS. Thanks!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 12-03-2006, 07:50 PM
BAR

Default Fuel Tube Shroud

Since Leo started at the top, thought I'd start mine at the bottom. I decided to go the cluster route, to reflect the original kit, though I was sorely tempted with the 24mm for use with RMS motors. Everything was going well, then I got to the fuel tube shroud. Man that is a bugger to get on right. I cut out the first one right down the middle of the lines, which is a job in and of itself (all those curves!). Frankly it seems a tad too big. I'd get a couple sections lined up right, then the next would be bowed out slightly and leave some non-trivial gaps. I tried making additional cuts to slightly overlap sections, but that started looking pretty ugly. Fortunately I had scanned in the sheets before cutting, figuring I'd munge something up. I printed out the sheet at 98% scaling, cut it out again, and woa, way too small. Finally I printed it at 99%, cut a 3rd shroud, and this one fit just right! Well, maybe 99.2% would be better, but I was getting kind of tired cutting these things out! Soooo, my only recommendation here would be to fit the shroud around (don't glue the tab), and tape it on to see how it looks before gluing. I'd be interested to see how others are doing on this step. Oh, one more tip, remove the card stock sheets and lay them under some books a few days before you need them. The fuel tube shroud was curved in the opposite direction that it needs for application, and added a bit more difficulty.

So far, a challenging and enjoyable build!
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 12-04-2006, 02:05 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Smile

Thank you for bringing this thread back to topic!

Your tips are noted.

I'm pressently working on the escape tower. Another challenging build aswell.

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino