Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Default Aerobee build

OK Guys

I thought I'd do a build thread of the new Semroc deci-scale (1/10) Aerobee 150 and 300. I've got the use of the kitchen table for a couple more days.

The picture shows what we'll starting with, two wonderful kits up to Semroc's usual standards of high quality. The big Aerobee nose cone is so nice, I'd like to just stain it like furniture. There are some neat things and some not-so-neat things about both kits: the 300 includes the extra tube length for this particular version but it does not include the tapered section of the Sparrow upper stage. Both kits have the logo decal but not the similar dataplate decal. The 300 kit has extended conduits which my references show to be correct for one of the conduits but not all three of them. Nor is there a conduit for the Sparrow. Finally, I'm not a fan of joined body tubes as the joint is hard to conceal. I understand this was done for cost savings, but that's just my preference. We'll see how I do.

So am I going to build them stock? Well, yes and no. The sharp-eyed among you may notice some hand cut fins on the left side of the cutting matt. Those would be fins for a four-finned Aerobee 150A or in this case 300A. The four-finned versions were launched from Wallops Island. I am going to modify the 300 to a 300A version. I will use the Rockets of the World 1999 Supplement drawing as a reference. I am going to build the 150 as from the package, but I am going to add a payload section under the nose cone to model the round displayed at the New Mexico Space Museum .

As an aside, I'd love to see Semroc offer some laser-cut "A" fins as an alternative. There are some spectacularly painted A models like the florescent red and bronze with white fins Aerobee 170A (Aerobee 150A on a Nike booster).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  aerobee1.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  216.5 KB  

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 01-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Craftsman

How's the build comming along?I would like to see your progress as I have these on my future build list.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Sorry guys, life intervened.

I'll post some pictures tonight.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7
Old 01-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
snip... Both kits have the logo decal but not the similar dataplate decal. ...

I was just at the Air and Space Museum last week to photograph the 150 and I got a good (I think) shot of the data plate. Also a nice shot of the old JPL logo/sticker. The 150 here also has the payload extension.

If you're interested in the plate or any other photos, I'd be glad to post them.

They also had a WAC Corporal which I took photos of as well. That and a bunch of other early rockets. The V2 they have there looks like it's been around the block a time or two. I don't think there's a flat piece of metal on it.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
I was just at the Air and Space Museum last week to photograph the 150 and I got a good (I think) shot of the data plate. Also a nice shot of the old JPL logo/sticker. The 150 here also has the payload extension.

If you're interested in the plate or any other photos, I'd be glad to post them.

They also had a WAC Corporal which I took photos of as well. That and a bunch of other early rockets. The V2 they have there looks like it's been around the block a time or two. I don't think there's a flat piece of metal on it.

Yes! please post the data plate.

Do you have something for size reference with it?

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 01-17-2012, 02:24 PM
Master Modeler

I'll post it tonight or tomorrow. I don't have access to it at the moment.

I'm not sure about anything for a size reference—except it's size and location on the rocket if that would help. I'll post a photo. I'm pretty sure I took one like that.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
I'll post it tonight or tomorrow. I don't have access to it at the moment.

I'm not sure about anything for a size reference—except it's size and location on the rocket if that would help. I'll post a photo. I'm pretty sure I took one like that.

If it's on the rocket I can use the diameter as size reference.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 01-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:

Which A&S Museum are you near?

The V-2 in Huntsville is dented between each and every rib/ring and stringer. If you look at some good quality video or photos of them during WWII, you can see that they were all pretty dinged up even then.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The V-2 in Huntsville is dented between each and every rib/ring and stringer. If you look at some good quality video or photos of them during WWII, you can see that they were all pretty dinged up even then.
I think all that metal was shaped using hammering by slave laborers. I know artisans can hammer a piece of metal to perfection, but it's obvious the prisoners weren't doing high quality artwork

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Which A&S Museum are you near?.

The A&S in downtown DC.

Quote:

This one is the same way. I thought they'd gotten a hold of one that had seen some travel 'in. Good to know.