Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Old BAR

Is Airfix gone? I was just on their site (they're in the UK), and they are about to release a 1/24 scale Mosquito with all its lovely detail.
I built a lot of their models and loved their attention to detail, at least on the aircraft.
Allen
Old 05-25-2009, 10:41 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Is Airfix gone? I was just on their site (they're in the UK), and they are about to release a 1/24 scale Mosquito with all its lovely detail.
I built a lot of their models and loved their attention to detail, at least on the aircraft.
Allen

They are now part of Hornby Hobbies: http://airfix.co.uk/about-airfix/
Old 05-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Forgot to mention this. I have read on the “Space Modelers” YahooGroup (for display type models), that Airfix has “fixed” the inaccurate parts of their 1/144 Saturn-V. At least, the parts above the 3rd stage, which means the LM shroud, and the Apollo CM/SM, and BPC/LES.

Actually this was some news that was not officially released, it was mentioned on that group 2-3 months ago (the person who posted it is a very long time well known professional modelmaker, Mat Irvine, who Airfix asked to help identify what to correct).

By now, Airfix was due to have announced the upgraded “reissue” for the 40th anniversary. But as I check the Airfix website today I do not see it mentioned. I hope they are not going to blow the 40th anniversary like Estes is, not getting their upgraded Saturn-V out in time to actually build one for the 40th anniversary.

- George Gassaway
Old 05-25-2009, 12:40 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
They are now part of Hornby Hobbies: http://airfix.co.uk/about-airfix/

Roy, thanks for that link. I'm glad to see they're still operating. FWIW, I used to use Humbrol paint back in the early 80's, and at that time considered it to be some of the best paints around. Flats were FLAT, and one coat usually was enough to cover all but the worst putty fills.

George, thanks also for your update. I haven't kept up with plastics in a while...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 05-28-2009, 09:20 PM
frustrated aero

I have all my tubes, and they have been cut to length. Now dig out my trusty Olfa Compass Circle Cutter and start cutting out centering rings.

I am going w/ a 24mm motor, and using the foil-lined BT-50 from Totally Tubular to reduce damage from the Hibachi effect.

I made the aft shroud ring by cutting a section out of a 3" tube (BMS T300) to squeeze it down to 2.7".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_1771LR.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  88.9 KB  
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 05-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
[...]

When I first read this, I thought, wow, a 1/24 Mosquito. Would that make it... like, the size of a real Mosquito?!

Oh ... Mosquito airplane!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 05-31-2009, 05:28 PM
frustrated aero

Centering rings are complete!

I am following the Centuri and Estes instructions, by painting the tubes before assembly. I have applied Kilz primer first, and it is drying.

I haven't decided what I am going to do for the wraps yet. I will probably use cardstock and make the corrugations like I did for the Jupiter 120 model I built.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC_1772LR.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  81.8 KB  
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 06-01-2009, 07:00 PM
frustrated aero

I couldn't stand it any longer, I had to dry-fit this thing together to get an idea of what it will look like.

You really get a feeling for the immense size of the Saturn V -- side-by-side drawings don't really convey the sense of scale -- and remember, the external fuel tanks of the Saturn 1/1B are basically Redstone tubes!!!

I have been so used to seeing 1/70th scale Saturn 1B models, that the mind sorta made it out to be about the same size as a Sat V.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  DSC_1781LR.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  60.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_1778LR.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  57.8 KB  
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 06-06-2009, 04:51 PM
frustrated aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtomko
I cloned one a few years ago and used the TT tubes. I also used an Estes Gauchito for the BT-58 and got a Saturn V plastic parts set from Estes for the capsule. There was an extensive thread on it over at TRF, but I believe it's gone now since the big crash. I had a list of all the parts and dimensions, but that was also on my old computer. I'll have to see if I can dig it up. Paul Graf made really nice resin copies of the lower fuel tank shroud and fins and beautiful vacuum formed copies of the BT wraps. The resin fins were really heavy though; mine doesn't get much altitude on an Estes D motor. I had to add a lot of nose weight. If I had to do it again I would make the fins from sheet styrene over a framework.

Drew

Hey Drew, I found your link on the TRF archives (thank goodness they're back!).

Can anybody tell me where the wraps of the 1/100th kits line up in regards to the reference line drawn down all the tubes? In other words, which fin # will line up on that line? The instructions available online aren't clear, as once the wraps are installed everything seems to reference off them. My only landmarks are the external details on the S-IV at the "Position II" location. I found scans of the 1/70th Saturn wraps--are they layed-out similar to the 1/100th wraps? The Paul Graf link in the TRF threads is an old AOL link and is now dead.
Get yer Barrowmans here
Old 06-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Hey David,

I was going to try to hunt down the thread; glad you spotted it. I hope there's useful info there.

The wrap join line should be over fin #1. That's the one that is all black on the right and all white on the left.

Drew