Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Master Modeler

Default Centuri Hummingbird "Clone"

I saw this little bird on Ebay already built so I bought it. Without the engine she is supposed to glide, but this one dives into the ground. I decided to make my own by cloning it so I drew up the parts and bought some poster board. Well Centuri calls it Fiber board but it is real thin and the poster board I found is a perfect match. I will print it out and take it to a craft shop and see if they can cut it out on the Robo Cutter, I will let you know how that goes. You will notice some black trim on the colors, well that is because when Centuri added the blue and orange trim it overlap ed making the black you see. With a normal printer that will not happen so I added the black so it looks just like the Centuri Hummingbird. I ordered my parts from Semroc and will post pictures when I begin the build.
Edit, I just added the correct Hummingbird draw, sorry.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hummingbird PDF.pdf (24.5 KB, 431 views)

Last edited by scigs30 : 08-24-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Apollo Nut

Nicely done clone patterns!

I had (have) a vintage Hummingbird from back in the 70s. It was a decent flyer back in it's day, but never put in any 'long' glides at all. Occasionally, it would do the ol' power loop into the ground bit (once or twice I recall), but no damage (flew in an old farm field at the time and the dirt was kinda soft).

The trim tab on the back horizontal stab should help with keeping the nose up some during glide, but I think bending that tab up too much for a better glide sometimes is what would make it tend to loop over under power.

So, I'm not sure you can really expect any super-great glide times out of it. Possibly a balsa nosed version might be a bit of better glider, what with a little less weight up front after engine ejection.

Let us know how the built version turns out and what kind of glides you get out it.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking A Modest Upscale Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I saw this little bird on Ebay already built so I bought it. Without the engine she is supposed to glide, but this one dives into the ground. I decided to make my own by cloning it so I drew up the parts and bought some poster board. Well Centuri calls it Fiber board but it is real thin and the poster board I found is a perfect match. I will print it out and take it to a craft shop and see if they can cut it out on the Robo Cutter, I will let you know how that goes.

You will notice some black trim on the colors, well that is because when Centuri added the blue and orange trim it overlap ed making the black you see. With a normal printer that will not happen so I added the black so it looks just like the Centuri Hummingbird. I ordered my parts from Semroc and will post pictures when I begin the build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Nicely done clone patterns!
Nicely done, indeed!

While the original 1.00X version fits perfectly onto an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, is there anyway this PDF file could be upscaled 1.37X? I'm sure it would have to be rearranged to fit onto two separate sheets. (My own attempts at up- and downscaling PDF files haven't gone so well, since I just have the (free!) Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated!

Thanks and cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 11-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Nicely done, indeed!

While the original 1.00X version fits perfectly onto an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet, is there anyway this PDF file could be upscaled 1.37X? I'm sure it would have to be rearranged to fit onto two separate sheets. (My own attempts at up- and downscaling PDF files haven't gone so well, since I just have the (free!) Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated!

Thanks and cheers,

It'll have to wait until I get home tonight or tomorrow, but I have done several different upscaled layouts of the Hummingbird (I did a version for BT-60 and one for BT-80). I also tried downscaling it to MMX, but the wing area is too small and it won't glide at all! But as I'm at work today, I can't get to the file until I get home tonight.

Greg
Old 11-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Greg to the rescue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
It'll have to wait until I get home tonight or tomorrow, but I have done several different upscaled layouts of the Hummingbird (I did a version for BT-60 and one for BT-80). I also tried downscaling it to MMX, but the wing area is too small and it won't glide at all! But as I'm at work today, I can't get to the file until I get home tonight.
Greg,

This version would be for ST-10. Thanks in advance for anything you can do!

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 11-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
Greg,

This version would be for ST-10. Thanks in advance for anything you can do!

Cheers,

OK - Sunday at the latest - since I have the Hummingbird parts drawn up in Illustrator, it's a piece of cake to make them any size I want. Hmm... Guess I'm gonna have to print the originals out and finally getting around to building this one - I bought the nose cone and body tube from Semrock eons ago!

The BT-80 version was me thinking about upscaling it to use the Fat Boy nose cone and make an RCRG version. I thought that could be pretty cool!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Paper Rocketeer

OK - here you go, Jay - two pdf files with the 137% upscaled Hummingbird parts (yeah - everything wouldn't fit on one page). Anyone else want a different scaled up or down version? takes just a few minutes to rescale and save out a new sized version. Oh, and another possibility is to change the colors - Once the shapes are created in Illustrator, changing size and color is supremely easy!

Greg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hummer 1 ST10.pdf (305.0 KB, 160 views)
File Type: pdf Hummer 2 ST10.pdf (72.7 KB, 130 views)
Old 11-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Apollo Nut

Greg-

Nice, clean upscales of those patterns! You do some good stuff!!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
OK - here you go, Jay - two pdf files with the 137% upscaled Hummingbird parts (yeah - everything wouldn't fit on one page). Anyone else want a different scaled up or down version? takes just a few minutes to rescale and save out a new sized version. Oh, and another possibility is to change the colors - Once the shapes are created in Illustrator, changing size and color is supremely easy!

Greg

Very nice indeed, How about scaled for a BT-80 please?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaninoBD
Very nice indeed, How about scaled for a BT-80 please?

Well, alright, but this one is a lot tougher - each of the parts is so large I can only fit one on a page, and they all have to be printed on legal paper. For a hummer this big, I think the best bet is to print most all the parts (except maybe the wing underside piece) on legal paper and then glue that to foam core. I'd glue the wing underside to either card stock or poster board and then glue that in place. Good luck with the build! Wings and booms attached to this post.

Greg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Hummer 1 BT80.pdf (81.3 KB, 116 views)
File Type: pdf Hummer 2 BT80.pdf (82.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: pdf Hummer 3 BT80.pdf (61.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: pdf Hummer 4 BT80.pdf (76.0 KB, 98 views)