Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:01 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
I was hoping the Rocksim parts database for v9 was going to be updated. Thanks Jim for posting your updated body tube parts file! Would you (or other designers) be willing to share your other parts files? It saves a lot of data entry work.

... Bill

I think that's something we're going to address here in the Studio. Since we use SEMROC components most of the time (well, I do anyway... ), we do need a set of files to cover all of those parts. The biggest issue is the turned balsa parts, as there are literally hundreds of them.

This may become our January project, working up the entire (current) SEMROC parts list into RockSim database files. Stay close, as these may be done in small batches and posted here over a few weeks.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-30-2008, 07:49 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Thumbs down Early Start -- First batch of SEMROC items

Here's the first batch of balsa components -- the Series 5 nose cones.

Only BC-523 could not be included in this list. It will require a special "subassembly" file to use in your designs. I'll try to get those worked up later.

Place this file into the "DataImport" folder, then run RockSim. The file will be appended automatically to the existing database.

Note: When each section is posted, it will have the same name as the master database file. Do not change the name!

BIG ADDENDUM!
DO NOT USE THIS FILE. IT CONTAINS AN ERROR IN ONE OF THE FIELDS. USE THE NEW FILE POSTED IN THE FOLLOW-UP MESSAGE.
Attached Files
File Type: csv NCDATA.csv (1.9 KB, 67 views)

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635

Last edited by CPMcGraw : 12-30-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:33 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Corrections Already!!!

OK, the first CSV file had a slight bug. I'll tell you about it now, and you'll maybe understand where a data error may still exist, but which I think we can live with for now.

In the column "CG Loc", or CG Location, the first post had an incorrect location for every entry. Please note I am guesstimating the location as 71% of the total length, including the shoulder. This may not be fully accurate, but I think it will be close enough to the real position as to not be excessively noticeable. Well, I forgot to add the shoulder length to the cone length. Doh!

The new file, below, has been corrected. Also, the file name shows which series you will be installing. When you save this file to the "DataImport" folder, be sure to rename it "NCDATA.CSV", otherwise it will not install correctly.

Sorry!
Attached Files
File Type: csv NCDATA_Series 5.csv (1.9 KB, 71 views)

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking Nose cones as Subassemblies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Only BC-523 could not be included in this list. It will require a special "subassembly" file to use in your designs. I'll try to get those worked up later.
(innocent voice) "Yeah, I have *no* idea where you could possibly find one of those. I guess you'd have to be some kind of Pioneer "

Craig, the last I knew, Rocksim (8) wouldn't allow nose cones to be subassemblies. Has that changed in RS9?

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 12-30-2008, 08:41 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenturiGuy
(innocent voice) "Yeah, I have *no* idea where you could possibly find one of those. I guess you'd have to be some kind of Pioneer "

Craig, the last I knew, Rocksim (8) wouldn't allow nose cones to be subassemblies. Has that changed in RS9?

Cheers,

Jay,

Aaaakkkk! Spuuuttt...

You're right! We still can't do a nose cone in the Subassemblies. But, we might be able to save the created NC as a regular RKT file, and then use that to create the rest of the design.

Maybe one day...

And if you were the one to download the NCDATA.CSV file from the first post, DON'T INSTALL IT!!!!! See the follow-up post.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-30-2008, 08:48 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Series 7 RockSim component database

OK, folks, here's the next group. This contains all except three Series 7 nose cones, which are too wild for RockSim to be able to generate from a single entry. As Jay reminded me, we have to hand-craft these cones each time we want to use them. What I'll try to do is work all of these up into RKT files, from which you can pull the parts out and use them in other works.

Remember, rename this file to NCDATA.CSV before running RockSim. You can only add one batch at a time, too.
Attached Files
File Type: csv NCDATA_Series 7.csv (2.8 KB, 74 views)

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Red face Sorry, eh?

Quote:
Jay,

Aaaakkkk! Spuuuttt...

You're right! We still can't do a nose cone in the Subassemblies. But, we might be able to save the created NC as a regular RKT file, and then use that to create the rest of the design.

Maybe one day...

And if you were the one to download the NCDATA.CSV file from the first post, DON'T INSTALL IT!!!!! See the follow-up post.
Nope, wasn't me. I haven't been able to figure out how to make that work correctly.

And Version 9 is my *third* version of RockSim!

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 12-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Just another BAR!

Quote:
I think that's something we're going to address here in the Studio. Since we use SEMROC components most of the time (well, I do anyway... ), we do need a set of files to cover all of those parts. The biggest issue is the turned balsa parts, as there are literally hundreds of them.

This may become our January project, working up the entire (current) SEMROC parts list into RockSim database files. Stay close, as these may be done in small batches and posted here over a few weeks.

Craig - this sounds like a great idea! I tried to reply earlier from my handheld device, but it wouldn't submit my reply. If each of the participants took a section of parts, we could get through pretty quickly. They could be posted here for review and then added to the master part files. With these parts we could tackle other components such as engine mounts and complex nose cones as sub-assemblies. I'm in to help with the effort. Consistent part files will be a great benefit to the design cause.

I have some available web space if needed to post the part files and sub-assemblies some place in addition to the forum.

Any selection of parts you interested in us working on first?

... Bill

Edit: Just saw the posts regarding inability to make nose cones as sub-assemblies and learned something new.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Just another BAR!

Default Semroc Series 10 and 11 Cones - Rocksim Parts

Well here is my first contribution to the parts database collaboration efforts. I followed Craig's lead and used 71% for approximate CG location. This file includes all Semroc series 10 and 11 balsa cones except:

BC-1020 Spherical
BC-1038 Special
BC-1043 Double Cone

Please review and let me know how the parts look. If they look ok, I'll continue to develop additional entries.

... Bill

Edit: Based on Craig's recommendation, I changed Rounded Ogive shaped cones to Elliptical. Attached parts file has been updated accordingly.
Attached Files
File Type: csv NCDATA_Series 10 and 11.csv (1.8 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by rkt2k1 : 12-31-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:06 PM
BAR 13790

I hate to ask a dumb question, but what is the secret to get these files into RS (I have version 8)?

I am running Windows XP
Thanks
Les

OK - spent some more time trying this. If I right click the file, then do a Save As (using the CSV format) it seems to work. Is there an easier way?

Last edited by Les : 12-30-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Closed Thread