Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Wish I'd thought of it sooner...

I also tried the sheet styrene method, but even that wouldn't align properly. I wound up printing another copy of the shroud on cardstock and working it around one tank at a time. BONDO spot putty filled in the remaining gap, and for the most part worked out well. I like the BONDO better than Squadron green (or white - I've used both in the past) as it comes out of the tube much "wetter" than SGP. It worked into the gaps a bit deeper, anyway.

This was the first time I have ever used either color of Squadron putty. I had to make a last minute dash to my "local" (110 mi. round trip) hobby shop to pick up more styrene and CA. I knew that I was going to have gaps (it was my 4th or 5th try - I've lost count - at making the fuel tank shroud). I saw the SGP hanging on a hook, so I grabbed it to give it a try. I was not impressed, although it did eventually sand down smooth. I would have been better off using Aeropoxy Lightweight Filler, which I do have on hand, but which I forgot all about until after I had smeared green stuff all over the bottom of my model.

I just want to say that my problems with this model have nothing to do with the kit itself, which is impressively high quality, through and through. The instructions are great, even though I came up with a few modifications that I wanted to try. My problems mainly stem from seriously underestimating the amount of time that it would take to complete some of the steps, not properly planning the entire building process out with timeframes and milestones (targets), and not taking the steps to protect the finish on some prepainted parts as I was assembling and gluing parts onto them and around them. Aside from my frustration with my slow progress and the looming deadline, I actually enjoyed building this kit (especially early on, before I started to panic). And what made it even more enjoyable was building it right along with 30 or so other modelers, and talking about it online. That is going a long way right now toward helping to preserve my sanity.

As for why I am online right now, well, I do have to come up for air every now and then. Otherwise, it is work, work, work.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011