Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 08:38 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

So, I had my coupon in my wallet, looking for something I didn't already have umpteen of, or couldn't duplicate with parts in the bin...

Nada...

The Hobby Lobby here in Mobile is really beginning to look sparse in the rocketry area. They have really backed-off on the stock levels in the past year or so...

Yet, there was something on the wall at HL that caught my attention today. A "Super Alpha" with a CLEARANCE sticker on it. $8.99, marked down from $14.99. That one came home...

I might have to work this one up in RockSim with a 24mm mount...

And another, the "Comet Chaser", with yet another CLEARANCE sticker. $7.79, marked down from $12.99. I look carefully and notice a squashed BT-50 tube, while the rest looked OK. I decided to grab it, too, as I could easily replace that section with some bin stock. The two balsa turnings alone would price out to at least that much...

And I still have my coupon...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 01-30-2012, 09:01 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
So, I had my coupon in my wallet, looking for something I didn't already have umpteen of, or couldn't duplicate with parts in the bin...

Nada...

The Hobby Lobby here in Mobile is really beginning to look sparse in the rocketry area. They have really backed-off on the stock levels in the past year or so...

Yet, there was something on the wall at HL that caught my attention today. A "Super Alpha" with a CLEARANCE sticker on it. $8.99, marked down from $14.99. That one came home...

I might have to work this one up in RockSim with a 24mm mount...

And another, the "Comet Chaser", with yet another CLEARANCE sticker. $7.79, marked down from $12.99. I look carefully and notice a squashed BT-50 tube, while the rest looked OK. I decided to grab it, too, as I could easily replace that section with some bin stock. The two balsa turnings alone would price out to at least that much...

And I still have my coupon...

I went to one of my KL stores today and had a similar problem. The only thing remotely interesting was the Vigilante, but I have one built stock that I have yet to fly. (I saw some painted in non-stock color schemes and wanted to have a go at one, but AFTER I get the first one flown.) I'd heard that someone found Mean Machines on clearance in their HL, but saw nothing in the Eastgate store. (My timing must blow. My friend Zog ALWAYS finds clearance deals.) I ended up with the camo paints for my FSI Hercules. If things dry okay tonight I may start getting to that tomorrow.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

I haven't bought anything in Hobby Lobby in a while. I don't even buy #11 blades, since I got 500 of them at the Blick's outlet at Galesburg, IL.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 01-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Master Modeler

Ah yes, in re-reading the first post; remember when gas was $3.00 a gallon?
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharding58
Ah yes, in re-reading the first post; remember when gas was $3.00 a gallon?

It was around $2.85 at some stations around here in December, then the Keystone XL pipeline project was denied...

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 01-31-2012, 09:38 PM
BP Mafia

Lucked out tonight. I went to the Florence Hobby Lobby after dinner for some balsa for the Intrepid and found a Hornet and a Guardian marked for clearance. Too good a deal to pass on.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 02-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Master Modeler

I had lunch with Don <Barone> yesterday and he mentioned that HL had a bunch of kits on clearance. So needless to say, I went by today at lunch. He was right, the SI, Renegade D, Mean Machine, Cosmic Explorer, Guardian, Super Alpha, Hornet and a couple of others were all marked at least 40% off; some a little more. The Mean Machine was $11.69. The kits were kinda scattered around though. Some were marked down and still on the regular aisle, some were on an end cap, and still others in the clearance section.
They also had a several of the newer kits in stock that I haven't seen there before. The EPM-10 and Astron Elliptic are the only 2 that I can remember. They were at regular price though.
Was once SAM#0132
Old 02-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Default Lucked Out

Hey Bill, was that the "Florence Y'all" Hobby Lobby? For me the next stop is my home state of Ohio.

My young bride is the lead speech pathologist at a school district on the other side of Fort Worth. I sometimes take her to work and the Lake Worth HL needs someone like me to run their hobby area. So that they don't have all 1/A - C motors for $7.99, or D12 motors for $9.99, or their E9-6 motors for - yeah - $9.99. With the 40% coupon that they insist on sending me, that is about $6.50 for the D's and E's. Well, the E9-4's are $13.99...
Seems I can't find a manager to explain it to. I do have a certain moral concern about their problem, but after a beer or two I can't remember it...

Owe you lunch Bill!

Chas
Old 02-10-2012, 05:17 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
Hey Bill, was that the "Florence Y'all" Hobby Lobby? For me the next stop is my home state of Ohio.

My young bride is the lead speech pathologist at a school district on the other side of Fort Worth. I sometimes take her to work and the Lake Worth HL needs someone like me to run their hobby area. So that they don't have all 1/A - C motors for $7.99, or D12 motors for $9.99, or their E9-6 motors for - yeah - $9.99. With the 40% coupon that they insist on sending me, that is about $6.50 for the D's and E's. Well, the E9-4's are $13.99...
Seems I can't find a manager to explain it to. I do have a certain moral concern about their problem, but after a beer or two I can't remember it...

Owe you lunch Bill!

Chas

Wow, the E9's are $20.99 a pack up here. I'd be hanging at your HL daily. Printer ink alone would break me.
We were out for dinner with friends over the weekend and I suggested giving Quatman's a try sometime this summer. They live about fifteen minutes from it, but they'd never tried it. I guess I have my Dad to thank for my dinner range.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 06-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Dazed and Confused

Haven't been to HL in a while, mainly because I've got a huge stash in the build pile already. My daughter wanted to go and look for stuff to decorate her room. I went back to the clearance wall and picked up a new retro style Big Bertha and a Photon Disruptor for about $8 each. I'm not sure why they were on clearance because both were in good shape and haven't been on the market very long. I left a Satellite Interceptor on the peg because I haven't finished the one I already have, and it was not marked down as much.

The PD will be stashed away as a backup for the one I've already finished. The BB will go in the stash, possibly to be used as a utility/camera vehicle for school demo launches, or it might get turned into a Ranger. Won't be any time soon, though. My build pile is piled about as deep as the Dumbing Down thread.