Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2005, 10:30 PM
Old School Rocketeer

I found some strip balsa "floor molding" for $0.56 at a hobby store that caters to the doll house crowd. I just might chop off a couple pieces of it and some dowel to "fake" the body wraps.

I know that I'm "technically" not making a "clone", but hey, it's close enough for me. Besides, how many people have actually seen a real Canaroc Scorpion in person? I'd bet that number's well below 1000.

Later,
EV
Old 08-31-2005, 11:50 PM
Arley's Spaced Out Rocketry

I have a scorpion Kit I payed 130.00 for it on ebay and i used all the parts to builtd my scorpion the only diference is I saved the origonal panels and nose cone and used my clone parts, so yes I knoe what a Scorpion will look like. I also used a long plastic Launch lug and placed it agenst the BT-100 tube under the puyln and betwwen the seam of the panel.
And If you do not use the panels then its the Galacic Wave not the scorpion.

As for your scorpion I noticed that the nose cone is a tyoical sunward nose cone so is the body tube a BT-50 or a BT-55 like the other Sunward kits.

I also noticed that the side tubes were glued to the top wing for the scorpions side tubes are clued between the fin and rudder on bothsides.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Taking Arley's and EV's advise and priming before assembling. Actually, thought I'd work the rocket as two different parts. Finish the main tube with pylons first. Friction fit PT400 and assemble it with wings and rudders. Then prime and finish it separate from the main tube and pylons. Then, glue the two completed assemblies together. I think it will probably be easier that way. Just need to leave strips of tape inside the PT400 so the contact surface isn't painted. I'm using Weldbond glue since it dries clear so any fillets between the pylons and PT400 will allow the colors to show through. Below is the first prime coat on the main tube and pylons. Duh....just realized I forgot to mask off the area for the body wrap. Guess I'll have to steel wool sand that area back down to the tube........

Don
NAR 53455
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Scorpion first primer_0001.JPG
Views: 58
Size:  225.9 KB  
Old 09-06-2005, 08:46 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
Here's some shots of the progress I've made so far with my Galactic Wave....

I'll be putting on some home-made labels in the next couple of days, and she'll make her maiden flight on Saturday. Report to follow....

Later,
EV

I put her up on a C6-3 this Saturday. Nice slow take off and an easy rotation or two. She was still climbing when the ejection charge went, so next flight will be on a C6-5. For those that aren't into straight cloning, I'd gladly recommend this kit. It wasn't hard at all to make it look like a Scorpion. I just put a couple of pieces on differently is all.

Later,
EV
Old 09-06-2005, 04:07 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
I put her up on a C6-3 this Saturday. Nice slow take off and an easy rotation or two. She was still climbing when the ejection charge went, so next flight will be on a C6-5. For those that aren't into straight cloning, I'd gladly recommend this kit. It wasn't hard at all to make it look like a Scorpion. I just put a couple of pieces on differently is all.

Later,
EV

And you're posting the pictures later?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 09-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Old School Rocketeer

I can post pictures if you like my sexy Estes Port-A-Pad with a lovely background of grass and just a wisp of smoke. I'm still perfecting my technique of taking launch shots. So far I've just got lots o' launch pad shots.

Later,
EV
Old 09-06-2005, 11:57 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
I can post pictures if you like my sexy Estes Port-A-Pad with a lovely background of grass and just a wisp of smoke. I'm still perfecting my technique of taking launch shots. So far I've just got lots o' launch pad shots.

Later,
EV

Yeah, I've been there. Still, a good old-fashioned on-the-pad shot has its charms.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 09-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Old School Rocketeer

By lots of launch pad shots, I meant lots of shots of just the launch pad!

Later,
EV
Old 09-07-2005, 12:10 AM
BP Mafia

I know. I just meant that any "on-the-pad" shots are better than nothing. It's always good to see the rocket in its natural habitat. (Unfortunately for me, that means in pieces on the access road. )

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 09-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Well....I'm steadily progressing. Only thing left to do is figure out how to put those (&(^^^^&*/@ (pardon the keyboard) body wraps on ! They certainly don't wrap very well around the body tubes and I know they won't hold their form long enough for any adhesive to hold. My solution for the small wrap was to just sand the plastic down so just the details are left and can be easily affixed to the rocket. But, I'd hate to do it on the large wrap since there is so much more detail on it . Anybody got any suggestions short of just buying Arley's preformed ones ?

Don
NAR 53455