Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2020, 06:33 PM
Apollo Nut

Steve-

Like the Centuri Nike!

I had one of those FSI pads in the late 80s when I first got into high power, but ‘graduated’ from it before too very long because most of the stuff I was flying was going off 3/8ths and .5” rods. Still have it though!

I think one of the other rockets at your friend’s side looks to be an Estes Vega. The white one though has me stumped, unless it is some kind of own design.

Like Tzep, I’m partial to the red and white water tower. I remember way back when most of them were painted that way.

And when we lived in the Atlanta area in the 1960s, we often shopped at a local G.E.X. Remember going there weekly for groceries. That one had a huge parking lot as I recall and was right across I-75 from Atlanta’s Hartsfield Airport which was not near as large then as it is now, but was growing steadily.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 12-02-2020, 07:02 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Here are three dated 9-24-1978

img001 Steves Centuri Nike Smoke Ready for Launch 09-24-1978
img002 Wayne Prepares Viper for Launch 09-24-1978
img003 Steves FSI Maverick 09-24-1978

Centuri Nike Smoke had an FSI "conversion kit". I had pretty much converted most of new builds to fly on FSI motors by 1978 if they were decent sized kits and I thought they could handle the larger motors. I used 1/4" launch lugs on these converted kits and my FSI LP-2B "heavy duty" metal launch pad. After I burned up the blast deflector I would use Estes blast deflectors without the 1/8" rod insert and it fit over the 1/4" rod pretty nicely. I believe Matt listed one of these pads on eBay not long ago. A buddy of mine still has that FSI pad I loaned it out many years ago when he got his nephew involved in rocketry.

A picture of my buddy Wayne that passed away. I scanned that one to see what rockets he had with him that day. Under the picture with the date I wrote in he was getting ready to launch an EAC Viper. I see his Starship Vega and Klingon Battle Cruiser on the ground. I think the black rocket next to his range box is the bottom half of an Estes Sky Raider because I have a blurry flight shot of that one. Not sure what the white rocket is?

Seeing your Maverick makes me think I may have upscaled mine a bit. It looks beefier. That wouldn't be a huge shock considering that most of the FSI stuff I "cloned" was a good bit larger than the originals

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 12-02-2020, 07:03 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Love the checkerboard water tower. We had one painted that way until the company was sold, then it got painted solid blue. Must have been breezy that day with the pads kicked over that far.

We had one that managed to survive into the 90's. I think I have a pic of my son with it in the background

I miss being SAM 0058

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Old 12-02-2020, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Seeing your Maverick makes me think I may have upscaled mine a bit. It looks beefier. That wouldn't be a huge shock considering that most of the FSI stuff I "cloned" was a good bit larger than the originals

The lower tube of the Maverick was "BT-60"-sized and the upper tube was "BT-55"-sized.

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/fsi/fsiMRK-18/MRK-18.pdf

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/fsi/...-18/MRK-18e.jpg

Dave F.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:55 AM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Here are three dated 9-24-1978

[snip]A picture of my buddy Wayne that passed away. I scanned that one to see what rockets he had with him that day. Under the picture with the date I wrote in he was getting ready to launch an EAC Viper. I see his Starship Vega and Klingon Battle Cruiser on the ground. I think the black rocket next to his range box is the bottom half of an Estes Sky Raider because I have a blurry flight shot of that one. Not sure what the white rocket is?
Steve, I think that might be a Satellite Interceptor (look at the upper rudder/lower rudder rake angle - it's a distinctive marker of that bird's design). It's the same angle used in the Centuri Spacemaster, but that kit's color scheme is typically gold, not white.

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/78est032.html
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"
Old 12-03-2020, 10:24 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
The lower tube of the Maverick was "BT-60"-sized and the upper tube was "BT-55"-sized.

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/fsi/fsiMRK-18/MRK-18.pdf

https://www.oldrocketplans.com/fsi/...-18/MRK-18e.jpg

Dave F.

Nailed it!

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 12-03-2020, 10:27 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox
Steve, I think that might be a Satellite Interceptor (look at the upper rudder/lower rudder rake angle - it's a distinctive marker of that bird's design). It's the same angle used in the Centuri Spacemaster, but that kit's color scheme is typically gold, not white.

Speaking of nailed it. That's the S.I. I'd know that fin decal anywhere.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 12-03-2020, 04:59 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Love the checkerboard water tower. We had one painted that way until the company was sold, then it got painted solid blue. Must have been breezy that day with the pads kicked over that far.

Quote:
We had one that managed to survive into the 90's. I think I have a pic of my son with it in the background

Yeah, that water tower is in almost every picture that I took from that parking lot because we launched from the back corner of the parking lot always facing the tower. It was red & white checkerboard for as long back as I could even remember in early grammar school and through high school. They eventually painted it light blue with dark blue water waves on the bottom all around it. Looked like waves that a kid in kindergarten would draw to look like waves. Looked really silly like you needed the waves on it to let you know that water was inside
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 12-03-2020, 05:05 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Steve-

Like the Centuri Nike!

I had one of those FSI pads in the late 80s when I first got into high power, but ‘graduated’ from it before too very long because most of the stuff I was flying was going off 3/8ths and .5” rods. Still have it though!

I think one of the other rockets at your friend’s side looks to be an Estes Vega. The white one though has me stumped, unless it is some kind of own design.

Like Tzep, I’m partial to the red and white water tower. I remember way back when most of them were painted that way.

And when we lived in the Atlanta area in the 1960s, we often shopped at a local G.E.X. Remember going there weekly for groceries. That one had a huge parking lot as I recall and was right across I-75 from Atlanta’s Hartsfield Airport which was not near as large then as it is now, but was growing steadily.

Earl

I knew you would like the Centuri Nike. Unlike yours, I didn't get an opportunity to paint the fins so it flew all white. My records show it was flown three times that day and the third flight demolished it. As tbzep noted we had a pretty good angle on the rods that day so probably a good breeze and a late ejection did it in but it was totaled.

Funny you mention GEX. The building was originally a GEX and we often shopped there because my dad had a membership. It was a pretty big lot considering it was just that one GEX store in that location. We got to use the lot when GEX closed and then they renovated it into something called Robert Hall Village and then it became a K-Mart. We had the parking lot to ourselves for a few months without any cars there according to the few dates I have recorded so flew there. The asphalt landings at times were pretty brutal ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  016 Steve Naquin FSI  Voyager F100-8 Flown on 6-27-78.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  222.2 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate

Last edited by snaquin : 12-03-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:20 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:

I really like the Maverick. It was a very stable bird. I used the conversion kit for D18's and also without the kit with F100's. It flew great every time and I liked the looks of it. I found a later picture of a blue one I built to replace the red one I need to scan that I have a good lift off shot of the blue one on an F100 that we flew at a different location and I had a MUCH better camera for that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanHFox

Nailed it is right, you guys don't miss a thing! Now that I look at it I can barely see the tube on the forward fin facing the camera. Satellite Interceptor is one I never built as a kid. I had to scan that polaroid pic at 1200DPI just to try to get a look at what he brought with him. I didn't have a flight photo of that one noted but yes ... that's it!

I remember why he was looking back at me with a grin on his face when loading the EAC Viper. Anyone catch the angle of the launch rod? I wanted to take his picture and he immediately lowered the rod to mess with me like he was going to fly it like a cruise missile. He straightened the rod back up after I took the picture and did get a good vertical flight on the EAC Viper but my picture is super blurry so I didn't scan it.
SAM# 0052