Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Default Renegade + Interceptor = Reneceptor

All,

a little while back, Chris Timm set out the challenge to come up with designs that could be made from available kits (kitbash) without having to cut any tubes or fins.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=774

If you scroll to the bottom of that first page you can see my first crack at it. Seeing as the Estes #2109 Renegade is a kit that just screams to be bashed, I started there. I took a main wing with the double PNC-5 pod and held it to the body backwards, and then the inspiration struck.

"This kinda looks like an Interceptor!"

So, I had to build the danged thing. The builder uses only parts from a Renegade, and only two balsa cuts are required. Here it is, next to my original #K-50 Interceptor and #1973 Interceptor II.

Well, after having 'em side-by-side like that, I still thought my "Reneceptor" needed a little more. So, throwing the requirement of no cutting out the window, I decided to spruce up the side pods.

Using my K-50 as a guide, I made little winglets and attached them to the rear of the pods.

Now we're looking better!

Later,
EV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Three Ceptors small.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  92.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Reneceptor Front Quarter.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  187.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Reneceptor Rear Quarter.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  107.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Reneceptor Rear.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  96.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Reneceptor Side.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  82.0 KB  
Old 05-19-2006, 11:32 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
All,

a little while back, Chris Timm set out the challenge to come up with designs that could be made from available kits (kitbash) without having to cut any tubes or fins.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=774

If you scroll to the bottom of that first page you can see my first crack at it. Seeing as the Estes #2109 Renegade is a kit that just screams to be bashed, I started there. I took a main wing with the double PNC-5 pod and held it to the body backwards, and then the inspiration struck.

"This kinda looks like an Interceptor!"

So, I had to build the danged thing. The builder uses only parts from a Renegade, and only two balsa cuts are required. Here it is, next to my original #K-50 Interceptor and #1973 Interceptor II.

Well, after having 'em side-by-side like that, I still thought my "Reneceptor" needed a little more. So, throwing the requirement of no cutting out the window, I decided to spruce up the side pods.

Using my K-50 as a guide, I made little winglets and attached them to the rear of the pods.

Now we're looking better!

Later,
EV

EV, looks good, but I think it still needs a little more cosmetic touch-up.

Notice how those two Interceptors have those strakes (extensions) on the leading edges? This one really needs something along those lines; it looks a little nekkid without them. How much scrap balsa is left from the Renegade kit? Enough to create some narrow extensions?

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 05-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Old School Rocketeer

Craig,

I thought about adding the strakes, but I kinda had this "slippery slope" thought in my head. If I put the wing strakes on, then I should put the tailfin strakes on. If I put the tailfin strakes on, then I should chop the tails and add the toothpicks. After that, I pretty much just have a fat Interceptor clone.

Per Chris's original thought, I wanted to make it as simple a conversion as possible, and to show as much "parentage" to the Renegade as I could. I really debated with myself about putting the wingtip pod fins on, but I decided it just wasn't right without 'em.

As per your thoughts of it lookin' "nekkid", trust me. Just wait a little and you'll see her get all dressed up and ready to dance!

Later,
EV

P.S. She just got her last coat of Kil's sanded off and is ready for the first spray of white...