Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SVDT - Semroc Virtual Design Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2007, 09:13 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Russell
The Fish Man spoke thusly: One word. S.P.E.V.

I will second that. I had a SPEV many moon ago. Still have the original Estes parts to build another, plus BMS parts. Someday I will build one and a Thor-Agena B clone.

Chas

I'm in the process of cleaning out the "lab" and I found some S.P.E.V. parts that I bought at NARCON in 2005. I had planned to hollow out the TA-6070 transition and have the new separation point be the TA-5260, so tonight I dragged out the Dremel and let the balsa dust fly. This one will also be D-powered. Apparently I build a little heavy because my old one struggled a little on C's. The old one is looking pretty ragged these days.

Quote:
Thanks Bill...jeez, I'd like to finish one of the 19 projects in work (seriously).

Yeah, I'm hip to that. So hip that I have trouble seeing over my pelvis, as they say. I did finish one today. It's the Sunward Galactic Wave that I bought along with the Gravity Rider. It was supposed to be all white, but it was pretty boring that way. I sprayed the inside of the pod tubes with fluorescent orange and painted the guns grey just to break up the white. I've been scrounging through my decal collection looking for something to jazz it up a little and I think I've come up with a few that will work without looking out of place. (Not using all the decals on most of my projects has finally paid off.)

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 01-29-2007, 09:37 AM
Old School Rocketeer

Using the criteria that an SLS kit comes after a standard production kit, my vote would be for an SLS-Taurus.

Without that, my obvious choice would be for an SLS-Satellite Killer. Heck, I'd settle for a standard one...

I'd also like to see an SLS-Vector V as well.

Later,
Eric
Old 01-29-2007, 01:47 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
Using the criteria that an SLS kit comes after a standard production kit, my vote would be for an SLS-Taurus.

Without that, my obvious choice would be for an SLS-Satellite Killer. Heck, I'd settle for a standard one...

I'd also like to see an SLS-Vector V as well.

Later,
Eric

Can't help you with the Satellite Killer, but.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Taurus upscale leaves the pad.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  111.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SLS Vector V finished.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  59.4 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 02-06-2007, 06:43 PM
The_Ripper

Default SLS Lune R-1

Just before the Christmas holidays I had created two new designs for the Lune R-1. One was a simple two stage modification of the standard Lune R-1 kit that I named "Lune R-1 Plus 1" that I procured parts for and posted the design in the Designer's Corner thread.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...32&postcount=28

I had also designed a 1.77 upscale of the Lune R-1, an SLS version. My SLS Lune R-1 uses the same 1.84" OD type LT-175 tubing that ships with the Semroc SLS kits. I used a pre-slotted tube for the main airframe and cut my own fins with tabs from basswood. Cutting my own fins to fit the slots made me really appreciate the precision cuts and ease of assembly of Carl's SLS fins that ship with the kits, let's just leave it at that
I did however want to have the same swappable motor mount system as the production SLS kits to use 24mm or 29mm motors so my SLS Lune R-1 is built in the same manner.

Sandman turned me a solid basswood nose cone 9" long to fit the LT-175 tubing perfectly. Thanks again Sandman! I used a solid balsa nose cone in the attached RockSim file to match what would normally ship with an SLS kit and the screen print reflects altitudes and DV's based on that.

My version remains true to Carl's other SLS designs by using the same baffle system with kevlar anchor system and nylon parachute.

One of the attached images shows a standard Lune R-1 standing next to my SLS version for a size comparison. I am waiting for a reply for custom adhesive backed vinyl decals in red and blue to fit my SLS version. I plan to fly my PerfectFlite miniAlt/WD recording altimeter in the large payload section to obtain flight data. First decent weather we get here on the Gulf Coast and I'll have it primed and hopefully ready to fly soon!

At just over 41" it's slightly longer than the SLS Hustler kit and that would make it the longest SLS kit available. That being said and the fact that the Lune R-1 is a Semroc original design just made it that much more desirable to me to build it.

Should this be a kit? My vote is YES!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:  007Semroc-SLS Lune R1 3D Image Export.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  14.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  005Semroc SLS Lune R-1.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  66.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  004Semroc SLS Lune R-1.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  111.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  003Semroc SLS Lune R-1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  104.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  002Semroc SLS Lune R-1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  126.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  001Semroc SLS Lune R-1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  99.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  000Semroc SLS Lune R-1 Flight Simulations.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  118.2 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt Semroc-SLS Lune R1.rkt (88.7 KB, 2 views)
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 02-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Retired Missile Technician

Nice work Steve! I happen to have a SEMROC LUNE R-1 in construction (for months now), along with several other SLS kits. The Better Half does not like the sanding sealer fumes in the house so progress is slow.
An SLS kit would be nice, given the size. Should appeal to those who like a sleek vehicle.

Chas
Old 02-07-2007, 10:45 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

My wife complained about Sanding Sealer/Balsa Fillercoat fumes to me once....I nicely informed her that if I can deal with her Hair Spray, Acetone, and Nail Polish fumes in the house, she can deal with the Sanding Sealer fumes as well.
Much to her credit of being logical, she has never brought up the issue again.
Actually I think my usage of those products on the Kitchen Counter without some sort of shield bothered her more than the fumes. Now I lay down a newspaper.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 02-09-2007, 10:50 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Nice work Steve! I happen to have a SEMROC LUNE R-1 in construction (for months now), along with several other SLS kits. The Better Half does not like the sanding sealer fumes in the house so progress is slow.
An SLS kit would be nice, given the size. Should appeal to those who like a sleek vehicle.

Chas

Chas

Thanks for the compliment! I'm a big fan of the Lune R-1 rocket. I noticed if you search "Lune" on the Semroc site there is now a shroud posted but not yet able to be added to the cart for purchase. The kit instructions mention that the earliest version Semroc kit had a paper nozzle shroud and I'm interested to see how that would look (so I may have to build another). The catalog image at Ninfinger appears to show the shroud.

http://tinyurl.com/2c83b4

I'm going to try and get the fillets done on my SLS version this weekend and the fins filled so the next day we have here in Louisiana with low humidity I can spray some primer. I did get an email from Dave Rose with Graphix & Stuff about the adhesive backed upscale decals in vinyl and he promised to get back with me in a few days to let me know something. I'm going to upscale the Semroc logo decals accordingly to match as well.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 02-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Steve wrote:

The catalog image at Ninfinger appears to show the shroud.

http://tinyurl.com/2c83b4

I lent that catalog to Sven Knudson at a NARCON in Austin, TX and was really pleased that he scanned the entire catalog. The catalog included some flyers for some neat SEMROC motors. It is one of my favorites, along with the '64 Estes and '66 Centuri in my collection.

Now I'll have to go back and reconsider adding the tail cone. Paper and epoxy? May have to cut down a plastic cone for strength...

Hmmmmmmm,
Chas
Old 02-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Bob,

I remember when you first posted the pictures of yours from NARAM Very nice!

I have been speaking with Jim Neubauer via email since the Holidays. He told me the Orion II model has been "updated" and now features a new resin nose cone instead of the balsa nose cone. The decals were made to look more like the original Orion, plus they were made on an Alps printer. He also told me he improved the body wraps.

I'm actually waiting for him to reply. I tried to send him an order using an AMEX Gift Card I got for Christmas but PayPay doesn't seem to want to accept that. Did I mention I hate PayPal? If not: I hate PayPal

I was going to procure the parts to build a Semroc SLS Orion according to the RockSim file parts/dimensions that Craig posted but by the time I figured how much it would cost to purchase 1B wraps, parts & decals the Neubauer kit looks attractive.

I do have a couple of question for you Bob. Since the Neubauer kit doesn't include it, how did you make your nozzle shroud and do you still have a pattern. It just wouldn't look right without the nozzle. Were the kit fins balsa or basswood?

Thanks!

Steve,

As for the nozzle shroud on the Orion II, I just broke out my old school compass, guessed at a size and drew it. I then went to Staples and had a copy made on 65# paper. After that, I cut out the 'nozzle'. It was too big so I just kept trimming until it was a size I thought looked right. Not very 'high-tech'.

The fins were laser-cut balsa. It took many coats of sealer to fill the grain.

Bob
Old 02-19-2007, 05:26 PM
The_Ripper

Default SLS Lune R-1 {Update}

Carl sent a BC-17590 balsa nose cone for the SLS Lune R-1. Although it was exactly what I ordered, the basswood nose cone proved to be too heavy in simulations for D12 and E9 motor flights. With a Semroc BC-17590 balsa cone my SLS Lune R-1 is now a true representation of what a future SLS kit release of this rocket would be as far as construction is concerned and now will have the flight performance to match. Thanks Carl !

I also received self adhesive backed vinyl decals scaled to fit the larger LT-175 tubing and the "Semroc" logo decals also scaled accordingly from Dave at Graphix and Stuff. These appear dull in the image because of the protective transfer sheets above and below the actual vinyl decals. I peeled the top sheet back a little to examine these and the red and blue are an exact match for the colors of the originals and look great.

Fins have fillets applied and I'm going to fill the basswood fin grain and balsa nose cone in hopes of getting a first coat of primer on it this coming weekend and possibly my first base coat of gloss white as well.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:  008Semroc-SLS Lune R1 BC-17590 & Graphix and Stuff Decal Upscales.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  162.5 KB  
SAM# 0052

Last edited by snaquin : 02-19-2007 at 06:03 PM.