Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-16-2018, 08:59 AM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I certainly wouldn't encourage you to give up on the clear nose tip. There are clear (diisocyanate) polyurethane casting resins (the Por-A-Kast [originally made by SynAir Corporation] product line included--and may still--a clear resin, and PolyTek, Ciba-Geigy, and Alumilite [and/or other manufacturers] may offer clear casting resins). There are also epoxy casting resins, and clear ones may be available. Bare-Metal Foil also carries numerous resins and RTV mold-making rubber formulations. You could use the nose cone itself to create the nose tip mold, and the nose cone--or a shallow, hardened "pour" of resin poured into another nose cone of the same type, then removed--could (after being sprayed with a wax-based mold release compound) be used as the inner window mold plug.
I confess my ambition stops short of casting my own pieces. Rather, I shall use a "found" piece of clear plastic and graft it on there. I've been scouring the world for items of the appropriate characteristics (hemispherical, clear, rigid, about 1" diameter) and have found a few. The best pieces I could use are these: https://kitkraft.com/products/1-25-4mm-clear-domes. The only reason I'm not jumping at them is the shipping charge, which would make it like $14 for just for that one part. Instead, I've found packaging for some toy items that should fit the bill. I think. I will start experimenting with that stuff sometime soon, right now I'm still sand-sculpting a seemingly endless string of balsa parts.