Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Semroc > SAM - Semroc Astronautic Modeler Team
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Carl@Semroc's Avatar
Carl@Semroc Carl@Semroc is offline
Junior ??? Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Knightdale, NC
Posts: 1,470
Default

Using CA to glue the flap did fix the burn-through problem at the nozzle. However, further tests had blistering at the delay section at 5-7 seconds and burn through at 10+ seconds. We would never have a delay that long, but it does show a potential problem with external case heating.

In cutting open many of the casings, I noticed that the layers are not glued as well as the 18mm casings made at the same time. I suspect NEPT has problems with tubes that small.

We have refiitted to 18mm and will put the 10mm on hold until we have more resources (time, money) to continue trying to make them work.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!
__________________
Carl McLawhorn
NAR#4717 L2
semroc.com
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Ltvscout's Avatar
Ltvscout Ltvscout is offline
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
We have refiitted to 18mm and will put the 10mm on hold until we have more resources (time, money) to continue trying to make them work.

B14's, here we come!
__________________
Scott D. Hansen
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe - Your One Stop BAR Shoppe!
Ye Olde Rocket Plans - OOP Rocket Plans From 38 Companies!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-02-2011, 12:05 PM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,267
Default

Mmm Yummy !
B14's !!!!
Hopefully we can get them in -0,3,5, and 7 flavors.
I would think the -0 then -5 would get the most use, with the -3 and -7 about equal to each other.
Forget the -6 delay; that one NEVER made any sense and it always seemed like they missed the boat by NOT having a -3

I had an Astron Avenger I really liked to launch on an A8-0 to B14-5 combo.
It would launch and stage low and slow then take off like a bullet once the B14 kicked in.

An Astron Farside or Arrow 300 on an 1/2A6-0 or A8-0 to B14-0 to 1/2A6-4 makes for a wacky interesting flight too.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and DITCH the brake !!!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Doug Sams's Avatar
Doug Sams Doug Sams is offline
Old Far...er...Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Plano, TX resident since 1998.
Posts: 3,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Hopefully we can get them in -0,3,5, and 7 flavors.
I would think the -0 then -5 would get the most use, with the -3 and -7 about equal to each other.

Forget the -6 delay; that one NEVER made any sense and it always seemed like they missed the boat by NOT having a -3
I agree, the -6 seems pretty pointless between the -5 and -7. I wonder if they did the -6 'cause they couldn't get to a -3. Perhaps a delay that short couldn't withstand the chamber pressure and would rupture.

Doug

.
__________________
YORF member #11
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Royatl's Avatar
Royatl Royatl is offline
SPEV/Orion wrangler
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
Using CA to glue the flap did fix the burn-through problem at the nozzle. However, further tests had blistering at the delay section at 5-7 seconds and burn through at 10+ seconds. We would never have a delay that long, but it does show a potential problem with external case heating.

In cutting open many of the casings, I noticed that the layers are not glued as well as the 18mm casings made at the same time. I suspect NEPT has problems with tubes that small.

We have refiitted to 18mm and will put the 10mm on hold until we have more resources (time, money) to continue trying to make them work.

Thanks to all for the suggestions!


The casings for Apogee's 10mm motors appeared to have something impregnated in them. I don't know if they are phenolic or not. Did you ever see any of them? Have you tried things like fish paper (as in the later Quest Micro motors)?
__________________
Roy
nar12605
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-03-2011, 07:39 AM
ghrocketman's Avatar
ghrocketman ghrocketman is offline
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,267
Default

I know Estes made a B8-3 for Centuri at one point, but not sure why the B14-3 never existed.
If blow-thru was a problem it would seem it would be even worse with the B14-0 and we all know that one worked for years.
The B14-6 has always had me scratching my head though...makes NO sense unless it was specific for some competition event that made the B14-6 optimum, but I have no idea what kind of event that would be.
__________________
When in doubt, WHACK the GAS and DITCH the brake !!!

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't
!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Doug Sams's Avatar
Doug Sams Doug Sams is offline
Old Far...er...Rocketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Plano, TX resident since 1998.
Posts: 3,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
If blow-thru was a problem it would seem it would be even worse with the B14-0 and we all know that one worked for years.
I considered that, but, keep in mind, boosters function by blow-thru.

That is, the flier would probably never notice anything unusual, as long as the staged flight was successful. But a B14-3 burning thru would be obvious since it would have a very early deployment.

Doug

.
__________________
YORF member #11
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-24-2011, 09:38 PM
blackshire's Avatar
blackshire blackshire is offline
Master Modeler
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 6,162
Default How about a B1-7 motor?

How about a B1-7 motor? In 1997, Stuart Lodge set an altitude record that still stands. At the 1st World Air Games, held at Ankara-Golbasi in Turkey, he flew a small FAI S6A Class (single-stage streamer-recovery) model to an altitude of 1,850' (569 m) on a Delta B1-7. These Czech motors are 10.5 mm in diameter. You can see some Delta motors and other foreign-made model rocket motors here: http://homepage.mac.com/georgegassa.../Engines-F.html
__________________
Black Shire--Draft horse in human form, model rocketeer, occasional mystic, and writer, see:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperba...an-form/8075185
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6122050
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe 1998-2021