Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Craftsman

Yea Roy, do you have any pictures to upload?

As for me, I can post some but I'm in the middle of some other things (mainly my wife has to offload her 100+ pictures off of the digital).
Old 03-30-2008, 04:56 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
This is a bit of a foggy memory, but I remember Damon was experimenting with using the casings instead of the ink to color code the motors (green for single stage, purple/upper, red/boosters) for the expanding hobby store market. At least I remember only seeing these colored casings in a particular hobby store in Athens.

Who knows? maybe their casing supplier was just short handed on regular kraft paper and sent them these instead. I have a couple of Estes mini booster motors made in spiral wound glassine covered casings, and I have a whole bag of green casing Centuri mini-B motors.

I inquired with two very reliable sources and here is what the answer is to the green motors.

The casing supplier ran out of paper and couldn't get any in time to meet the Estes demands. They did have stock of blue and green paper that had been used for the engine shipping tubes ( I believe that was the Northeatern Paper Tube Company?), so, in order to keep up with customer demands, that was what was used for the engine casings. Same material, but colored.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
I inquired with two very reliable sources and here is what the answer is to the green motors.

The casing supplier ran out of paper and couldn't get any in time to meet the Estes demands. They did have stock of blue and green paper that had been used for the engine shipping tubes ( I believe that was the Northeatern Paper Tube Company?), so, in order to keep up with customer demands, that was what was used for the engine casings. Same material, but colored.

That was the reason I had heard as well back in the late 80's or so. A few blue cased Etes motors showed up on a postal auction (possibly one of Rich Jungclas') and I had asked the seller what he knew about them
S.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
That was the reason I had heard as well back in the late 80's or so. A few blue cased Etes motors showed up on a postal auction (possibly one of Rich Jungclas') and I had asked the seller what he knew about them
S.

I have a few of the colored casings as well I guess you could call the green ones the "Moldy Oldies" Oh, that's the "Golden Oldies.....Sorry!!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Dazed and Confused

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:29 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPilot
Yea Roy, do you have any pictures to upload?

As for me, I can post some but I'm in the middle of some other things (mainly my wife has to offload her 100+ pictures off of the digital).

Well, here's a teaser shot:

lessee... there's a pack of MPC B3-3 motors, a pack of Canaroc B18-5 motors (plastic case and KP/polyurethane(??) fuel), Garoq's old Pro-Jet motors(F45 and E20), the afore-mentioned green Centuri mini-motors, the spiral wound A3-0 (can't really tell much about it from this distance though), a MPC B4-5 mini motor, an early D11-9, a later B.8-4 motor (.5" id, but still has the trumpet bell shaped nozzle), a recent German C6-5, a Shorty 1/2a booster, a box of A-4 Estes-made Rock-A-Chutes, an infamous FSI D18, an early D12, a D13 booster, a Cox A6 motor, an old A.8-3 motor, a Centuri 1/2a6-4 motor (the last two have a 0.41 i.d), and hiding is a German-made MRC C6-5 from about 20 years ago.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Well, here's a teaser shot:

lessee... there's a pack of MPC B3-3 motors, a pack of Canaroc B18-5 motors (plastic case and KP/polyurethane(??) fuel), Garoq's old Pro-Jet motors(F45 and E20), the afore-mentioned green Centuri mini-motors, the spiral wound A3-0 (can't really tell much about it from this distance though), a MPC B4-5 mini motor, an early D11-9, a later B.8-4 motor (.5" id, but still has the trumpet bell shaped nozzle), a recent German C6-5, a Shorty 1/2a booster, a box of A-4 Estes-made Rock-A-Chutes, an infamous FSI D18, an early D12, a D13 booster, a Cox A6 motor, an old A.8-3 motor, a Centuri 1/2a6-4 motor (the last two have a 0.41 i.d), and hiding is a German-made MRC C6-5 from about 20 years ago.

You didn't even mention the Composite Dynamics Pro-Jets! I have a handfull of the Pro-Jet
E's and F's in my collection....
Old 03-30-2008, 10:51 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
You didn't even mention the Composite Dynamics Pro-Jets! I have a handfull of the Pro-Jet
E's and F's in my collection....

yea I did... CompDyn was Garoq's (Gary Rosenfield) previous gig.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:48 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Estes was not the only company to have green casing 18mm motors.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Green Motors.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  27.0 KB  
Old 03-31-2008, 05:32 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
yea I did... CompDyn was Garoq's (Gary Rosenfield) previous gig.

Oops! My bad.....