Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2020, 10:47 PM
Rocketaholic

Default too many fun items

I have a working Adept Apogee deployment system still and some of the Robbies Rockets flashbulbs. They do come in handy sometimes :-)
Old 06-24-2020, 05:57 AM
Sometimes collector

Me too, and a Robbbies LES. I gave up on them when one failed to fire at LDRS in 1996.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:38 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Me too, and a Robbbies LES. I gave up on them when one failed to fire at LDRS in 1996.

LDRS XV? I was there.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:58 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
LDRS XV? I was there.
Small world ... so was I.
Orangeburg, SC at the sod farm. Flew a G motor altitude attempt there in a rocket named the ripper on a G25 single use. Lost a 3" dia phenolic rocket on the opposite side of the road in the tall pine trees that drifted back over the flight line. Also lost a nice engraved motor case in that rocket too.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 06-24-2020, 04:07 PM
Apollo Nut

I remember it well...it and LDRS-19 in 2000 (same location) were by far the shortest distance I EVER had to travel to an LDRS: an hour and half DRIVE by car!

Many hours of both events on videotape....

Good size crowd for both events as I recall. Wow, I am just now realizing that even the latter of those two events is 20 years old. Geez, seems like yesterday.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 06-24-2020, 04:16 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketaholic
Funny you mention Black Sky rocketry
I still use their igniters and have a Black Sky timer that still works and is utilized along with Black Sky logo stickers 👍🏼🚀
I have a picture around here somewhere of my one my rockets carrying an AltAcc with the sticker on the payload section. I'll look for that too ....

Quote:
I may have you beat. I've got a bunch of flash bulbs, a piece of a roll of thermolite, and a surviving early run Adept duel stage altimeter.

Some folks worship those Q2's. You might get some good money out of them.
Yep, you got me beat. I had a couple of rolls of thermalite from LOC/Precision from 1988 or so and also some that I bought from Ross at Magnum off the back of his truck long before the LEUP days. I had an Adept but it was one before the dual stage altimeters were out. It's was the same one that you could by in either kit form or fully assembled I don't remember the model #? Also had two Cambridge altimeters That you had to make the settings with DOS [IAX95, IAX96?].

I bought a bunch of Robbies Rockets flashbulbs and thermalite igniters. At LDRS one year robbie GAVE me a really nice cluster igniter. It had a short length of thermalite running up to a flashbulb and then had three long leads of thermalite running in the opposite direction with black shrink wrap around the bulb where all four thermalite lead were touching the bulb. I swear the thermalite to the motors each whip had to be about 12" long. Just GAVE it to me to try it out. Worked flawlessly. I loved their products.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
Old 06-24-2020, 04:22 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
I remember it well...it and LDRS-19 in 2000 (same location) were by far the shortest distance I EVER had to travel to an LDRS: an hour and half DRIVE by car!

Many hours of both events on videotape....

Good size crowd for both events as I recall. Wow, I am just now realizing that even the latter of those two events is 20 years old. Geez, seems like yesterday.

Earl
I know huh ... time just flies. Here's a couple of the pics I took at LDRS-XV in July 1996 in Orangesburg. My Ripper altitude attempt you can see the homemade fly-away lug just to the left of the rocket airframe falling away as it left the rod on a G25 flight.

I know I saw you there filming and I think we actually met casually I knew who you were from buying some of your videos. I still have several of those VHS videos in my closet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Ripper_01.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  420.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Stinger3_06.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  1.12 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Stinger3_08.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  428.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  MachMe_02.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  156.3 KB  
SAM# 0052

Old 06-24-2020, 04:30 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
LDRS XV? I was there.

Nice! Our pop up was next to the guy who did the Flying Pyramid of Death that crashed nearby, and we were with Neil and Barb and their big SWAT. We did not get that you have to drink ice water there to survive. I Flew a 7motor cluster in a Loc Magnum (my avatar picture) that I had racked with electronics burning and they made me take it down for the Brusier Drag race. After I got it back on the rack it took off on Blue Thunder, two I357s, two H238s and Two G110s, and at a second and a half lit a K550 with a timer. It was up for ages and deployed the main right behind the pad it left. I think it got 7500 on that flight. We really enjoyed it, including the real fireworks in the host hotel parking lot on July 4th. We had to leave early because a guy I was with had a commitment. I had to pull over at 4am and sleep at a rest stop on the way back to PA or I wouldn’t have made it. Those were the days.

I have Earl’s Video, I loved them, remember the anticipation waiting until they arrived? I think it might have been the first East Coast LDRS, so everyone and anyone had to be there.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:33 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketaholic
Funny you mention Black Sky rocketry
I still use their igniters and have a Black Sky timer that still works and is utilized along with Black Sky logo stickers 👍🏼🚀
Some old pictures of rockets of mine that carried the Black Sky AltAcc2A at one of our launches here in Louisiana in 2000. ****, 20 years gone by already ...
One is a LOC Lil' Nuke you can see the sticker on the payload section I added to that rocket. The other is a 3" diameter Public Enemy Ultra Fatboy that I extended. The sticker isn't visible but it was extended to have a section to carry the AltAcc2A. That flight was less than favorable but the rocket was repaired and the altimeter did survive to fly another day.

I loved that altimeter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  000 Lil Nuke.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  1.02 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  001 ROLL3DX-16A.JPG
Views: 15
Size:  832.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  002 L Nuke Recover.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  46.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Rocket_Fleet1.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  62.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Long Fatboy1.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  336.2 KB  
SAM# 0052

Old 06-24-2020, 04:38 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
Some old pictures of rockets of mine that carried the Black Sky AltAcc2A at one of our launches here in Louisiana in 2000. ****, 20 years gone by already ...
One is a LOC Lil' Nuke you can see the sticker on the payload section I added to that rocket. The other is a 3" diameter Public Enemy Ultra Fatboy that I extended. The sticker isn't visible but it was extended to have a section to carry the AltAcc2A. That flight was less than favorable but the rocket was repaired and the altimeter did survive to fly another day.

I loved that altimeter

Great graphics on those!