Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2011, 11:36 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
While looking for something else I came across the attached Metric Alpha instructions scan file. It shows a P/N of 1408 on the bottom of the face panel. It also shows a balsa cone as well as fins - original Alpha construction except for the thicker AR-2050 centering rings.
It is NOT the EK-25 Alpha II with the longer motor mount tube and shock cord attached to the motor hook. Scan of that also attached.
One more variation....

Thanks for posting the plans.
I found the Alpha II instructions very interesting.
In Step 1: I don't remember any other Estes kit that had the shock cord tied to the top of the engine hook. I'm probably wrong on that, but I never had an Estes kit that was built that way. The first time I'd seen that was on the newer Semroc kits.

In Step 3: The engine mount is slid down from the top into a ring of glue at the bottom of the main BT-50 tube.

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 11-25-2011, 04:18 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
The Orange Bullet was plastic?
*SIGH* No, earlier (in Reply #42) I had mentioned that building an Orange Bullet -using- plastic parts (a plastic PNC-20B nose cone from the Estes Mini Customizer Launch Set, a length of clear plastic PST-20 payload section tubing, and sheet styrene fins) would yield a waterproof rocket that could be flown from snow-covered fields (or wet grass, come to think of it) that could even land in a pond without being ruined as a balsa-and-paper rocket would be.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 11-25-2011 at 04:26 AM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:51 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
I realize that you probably weren't being serious here, but coating a black powder motor with enough wax to make it water resistant would probably not pass muster. A little wax, maybe, but not in that quantity, I don't think. That's my guess, anyway. In any event, since the Streak ejected its motor, I don't see how this would have even been needed. I don't think that the Streak was ever advertised as being weatherproof; that wasn't the reason for the Mylar tube.

Was referring to engine nozzle only (wax). Yes, all was said in jest-& not referring to a streak for this project. dan.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:18 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Default Not so much a thread as a tapestry...

All this talk about the Orange Bullet reminded me of an article I wrote a few months ago for our Club Newsletter, Team Pittsburgh. It's not up on the website yet, but will be soon. The article was published in issue #159. I tried to place a copy of the article below but the file size is just a little too large; at least the photo of my model fits.

I should also mention that Carl produces a laser cut set of fins now for the Orange Bullet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Orange Bullet (sm).jpg
Views: 81
Size:  118.0 KB  
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 11-26-2011, 03:27 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
*SIGH* No, earlier (in Reply #42) I had mentioned that building an Orange Bullet -using- plastic parts (a plastic PNC-20B nose cone from the Estes Mini Customizer Launch Set, a length of clear plastic PST-20 payload section tubing, and sheet styrene fins) would yield a waterproof rocket that could be flown from snow-covered fields (or wet grass, come to think of it) that could even land in a pond without being ruined as a balsa-and-paper rocket would be.
You expect me to remember that far back?
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 11-26-2011, 03:32 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
All this talk about the Orange Bullet reminded me of an article I wrote a few months ago for our Club Newsletter, Team Pittsburgh. It's not up on the website yet, but will be soon. The article was published in issue #159. I tried to place a copy of the article below but the file size is just a little too large; at least the photo of my model fits.
Beauty!

Quote:
I should also mention that Carl produces a laser cut set of fins now for the Orange Bullet.
So all we need now are the little brass squares and an Estes-made Model Missiles engine.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 12-23-2011, 11:56 AM
7/21/61

OK, what's up with this?

Clearly an Alpha 1, in an educator's pack, called an Alpha II.

Anyone know the history of this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  alphaII.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  69.1 KB  
Old 12-23-2011, 02:40 PM
I HATE ENGINE HOOKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
OK, what's up with this?

ESTES used variations of the Alpha be it parts , plans or just callin it a I , II , Metric etc. for marketing. They were also offering quantity packages for schools, etc. They had to give it a different part # since it wasn't an actual 1225. Sometimes they would use overstocked parts or others to make building easier for kids. They'd throw in tha kitchen sink if it wouldda fit. I just got a K Alpha from 1970. I , too, am a Alpha nut-bein my 1st kit, if anyone wants to converse... dannymrmissile.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:

I would be torn over "To fly it, or not to fly it"--not for fear of losing it, but because that beautiful paint finish would have exhaust crud on it afterwards...
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 12-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
OK, what's up with this?

Very interesting! Is that Alpha II kit from a recently-purchased new educator's pack, or an old one that you found on eBay or elsewhere? If it's the former, I suppose it's possible that the folks at Estes occasionally come across stashes of older kits (or maybe get returns from distributors for one reason or another) and toss them into newly-packaged educator's packs. Also:

Even if Alpha kits such as that one have the older-style two-ring motor mount (rather than the single-sleeve type that is standard today), that difference wouldn't cause a problem for a group of students, Scouts, or club members who were building all of the Alphas from the educator's pack at the same time because each kit (including that Alpha II kit) is self-contained, having its own instructions sheets.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 12-23-2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.