Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2020, 03:06 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Though not available any longer, the Vulcan H80 was a nice motor. H115 Smokey Sam was another good one. Did they do an H150 Smokey Sam also? My memory is fading a bit on the Vulcan motors.

Never had failure of any kind on a Vulcan motor!

Earl

I wish I had your luck - I had a burn through on an H100, and a one second delay on another. Couldn’t beat the price of an H100 at Battle Park though! I think the G200s I used in both 24 and 29mm all worked, I probably flew 15 of them.

I can’t complain on the burn through really. It was in a THOY Nighthawk with F50 Silverstreak outboards air started. The burn through was above the nozzle and created a side thrust that flipped the rocket slowly through 360 degrees and when the motor burned out it was pointed straight up again. Just then the outboards lit and from a standstill, carried the rocket to apogee where it deployed and recovered normally.

That rocket was forever after called “Flipper”.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:34 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
But seriously, folks, Max Saturday was a huge success. I think I flew 19 Maxes on everything from 1/2A to G. The only motor designation I missed was an F. Weather was perfect, mid-80's, low humidity, full sun all day, light breezes. I even had a CATO! An Estes Mini Max on an A10 popped before it left the pad. Completely toasted the interior. The only structural integrity left is from the paint and decal. I flew my Mega Max on a G80-7. It was almost a small field flight and landed at the edge of our field without damage. I think the next flight for it will be this fall in the corn on an H for my Level 1. Don't be shy about suggestions for motor choices. The seven second delay was a bit long yesterday, but not terribly so. Could have gone with a 5. I can still do theme launches, but nothing quite like this one. Good thing. I was wiped out last night.
Bill you certainly *maximized* your launch day! Very colorful CATO considering that was only an A10. To quote Bill and Ted: Excellent!
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 08-09-2020, 03:50 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Ya "Whack the Gas" to even a FOOLISH fashion on anything BUT a cert flight.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-09-2020, 03:53 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
We don't want no mamby pamby baby H's!
I concur
The guy that brought me into HPR wouldn’t let me confirm on a baby H. Scott had a a few H125-14’s left over from LDRS-VII in 1987 and he sold me one in 1988. Original AeroTech no frills propellant formula before white lighting. I think TMT tested the H125 at that time a few points into an *I* class motor it was slightly over 320Ns so technically a teeny weenie *I* motor. Modified a LOC IV to have a 38mm mount, recut new fins with tabs to the motor mount and used a 38mm adapter to 29mm for the H125. LOC actually makes the LOC IV kit that way now same as I did in 1988.
I never knew a 4” diameter kit could fly like that. Even with a -14 second delay no zipper and lots of altitude.

That H125 made me a believer ...

I wouldn’t recommend a -14 second delay in a LOC IV on most H motors. It got PLENTY of altitude delay was a bit long after apogee but not a scratch on it.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 08-09-2020, 03:53 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
But seriously, folks, Max Saturday was a huge success. I think I flew 19 Maxes on everything from 1/2A to G. The only motor designation I missed was an F. Weather was perfect, mid-80's, low humidity, full sun all day, light breezes. I even had a CATO! An Estes Mini Max on an A10 popped before it left the pad. Completely toasted the interior. The only structural integrity left is from the paint and decal. I flew my Mega Max on a G80-7. It was almost a small field flight and landed at the edge of our field without damage. I think the next flight for it will be this fall in the corn on an H for my Level 1. Don't be shy about suggestions for motor choices. The seven second delay was a bit long yesterday, but not terribly so. Could have gone with a 5. I can still do theme launches, but nothing quite like this one. Good thing. I was wiped out last night.

Nice, can you give us the lineup and what they flew on?
Old 08-09-2020, 06:57 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
I wish I had your luck - I had a burn through on an H100, and a one second delay on another. Couldn’t beat the price of an H100 at Battle Park though! I think the G200s I used in both 24 and 29mm all worked, I probably flew 15 of them.

I can’t complain on the burn through really. It was in a THOY Nighthawk with F50 Silverstreak outboards air started. The burn through was above the nozzle and created a side thrust that flipped the rocket slowly through 360 degrees and when the motor burned out it was pointed straight up again. Just then the outboards lit and from a standstill, carried the rocket to apogee where it deployed and recovered normally.

That rocket was forever after called “Flipper”.

Sounds like you've got better than my luck.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 08-09-2020, 07:14 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Nice, can you give us the lineup and what they flew on?

I'd planned to go small to large, but when I got to the field I found a small crack in the fin of the BT-5 Miniscule Max.
1. Retro Rocketry Mini Blue Max - 1/2A3-4T
2. Retro Rocketry Mini Red Max - 1/2A34T
3. Estes Mini Max Gold - A10-3T
4. Estes Mini Max - A10-3T
5. Estes Mini Max Lemon - A10-3T
6. Estes Mini Max Lime - A10-3T
7. Estes Mini Big Red Max - A10-3T
8. Estes Hemi Max - B6-4
9. Estes Der Red Max clone - C6-5
10. Estes Der Red Max - C6-5
11. Excelsior Goony Max - D12-5
12. Excelsior Der Fat Max - D12-5
13.Stickershock Blue Max - D12-5
14. Estes Der Big Red Max - E12-6
15. Stickershock Dark Max - E12-6
16. Stickershock Orange Max - 2xC6-5
17. Excelsior Der Grosser Vati - E12-6
18. Estes Mega Der Red Max - G80-7
19. FRW Miniscule Max - 1/2A3-2T

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Mini Dactyl Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 08-09-2020, 08:11 PM
Sometimes collector

Wow! Thanks!
Old 08-09-2020, 09:27 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I concur
The guy that brought me into HPR wouldn’t let me confirm on a baby H. Scott had a a few H125-14’s left over from LDRS-VII in 1987 and he sold me one in 1988. Original AeroTech no frills propellant formula before white lighting. I think TMT tested the H125 at that time a few points into an *I* class motor it was slightly over 320Ns so technically a teeny weenie *I* motor. Modified a LOC IV to have a 38mm mount, recut new fins with tabs to the motor mount and used a 38mm adapter to 29mm for the H125. LOC actually makes the LOC IV kit that way now same as I did in 1988.
I never knew a 4” diameter kit could fly like that. Even with a -14 second delay no zipper and lots of altitude.

That H125 made me a believer ...

I wouldn’t recommend a -14 second delay in a LOC IV on most H motors. It got PLENTY of altitude delay was a bit long after apogee but not a scratch on it.

I can just imagine that LOC IV scooooooted big time on an H125! I think a scalded dog comes to mind!

The most I ever tried in a four inch ‘kit’ rocket was a J125 in a LOC EZI-65. And...I found out in about two and a half seconds into the burn why Ron Schultz recommended only up to a J100 in that rocket. It’s a pretty simple reason at that: the J125 will push that rocket past the speed of plywood. The sky was filled with EZI parts, with pieces of plywood fins fluttering to the ground. The leading edge of each fin had delaminated; just pealed back the layers. There were three plywood fin ‘stumps’ left on the body.

Ron came over to me as I was picking up the pieces, puts his arm around my shoulder and says something to the effect “Ooh, sorry about that, buddy. Ya know, we only recommend up to J100 on that stock kit; fins just can’t handle more than that, buddy.” And he was being nice, but he was being honest, too.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 08-10-2020, 07:51 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Wow! Thanks!

I forgot the Mega Mini Max, which would have flown on a D12-7. I was trying to print off a decal for the top of the body tube on Friday and left it sitting on my desk at home. I also had a BT-5 Not So Big Der Red Max that I decided against flying because I still hadn't figured out how to decal it.

I miss being SAM 0058