Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2020, 09:58 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
Oooh thanks, I loved that G80FWL, still have one from Magnum, and an E30FWL also. These should be great, the flame in the test video looks great.
I remember those G80FWL. I think you could buy ten from Ross at Magnum for $100 or something like that. Excellent motors!
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 06-12-2020, 09:59 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroTech
To update our progress on this project, we tested the delays for the C and D White Lightning Q-jets today and they were all within spec, with no failures or anomalies. The next step is to build the motors for certification and submit to the testing organization.
Can’t wait to try a few out Gary. Thanks for the update.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 06-12-2020, 03:04 PM
Old BAR

Gary,
Any chance you will be making the G80-4 again?
I love that motor!

Allen
Old 06-12-2020, 03:29 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
The only downside to these small motors is that the burn time is relatively short, like 0.7 seconds. Looking on the positive side they have great lifting capability!

Can’t wait to see what the thrust curves look like.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:39 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I remember those G80FWL. I think you could buy ten from Ross at Magnum for $100 or something like that. Excellent motors!

Oh, yeah... I’ll have to go digging to see if I can find the 2 or 3 I have stashed in this mess .
SAM #0031
Old 06-13-2020, 09:54 AM
Manufacturer

As you may remember, we dropped that delay in 2007 when the G80 was redesigned to produce 137 N-sec, which was a 42% increase in total impulse over the previous design. Because of the increased total impulse, heavier model rockets using the 4 second delay should now use the longer 7 second delay. I suppose a 4-second delay could be useful for high power rockets weighing 4 or 5 pounds, but we would not want to see them used in kits like the G-Force or Sumo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
Gary,
Any chance you will be making the G80-4 again?
I love that motor!

Allen

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace
Division of RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc.
2113 W 850 N
Cedar City, UT 84721
435-865-7100 (Ph)
435-865-7120 (Fax)
http://www.aerotech-quest.com
http://www.rocketmotorparts.com.com
http://www.specificimpulse.com
Old 06-13-2020, 10:17 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
As you may remember, we dropped that delay in 2007 when the G80 was redesigned to produce 137 N-sec, which was a 42% increase in total impulse over the previous design. Because of the increased total impulse, heavier model rockets using the 4 second delay should now use the longer 7 second delay. I suppose a 4-second delay could be useful for high power rockets weighing 4 or 5 pounds, but we would not want to see them used in kits like the G-Force or Sumo.

I have several fairly heavy NCR rockets, but love my Bomarc. If I used a 7 second delay, it would hit the ground before the charge went off. I like SU motors; not a fan of RMS. The G80-4 was perfect.

Allen
Old 06-13-2020, 12:59 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag
I have several fairly heavy NCR rockets, but love my Bomarc. If I used a 7 second delay, it would hit the ground before the charge went off. I like SU motors; not a fan of RMS. The G80-4 was perfect.

Allen

There is a DMS G80T-14A that you can drill the delay but the DMS drilling tool is set up to take 8 sec off at the most, you could use a regular bit with a drill stop or a tape stop if you wanted to get to 4 or 5 seconds.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:20 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
To update our progress on this project, we tested the delays for the C and D White Lightning Q-jets today and they were all within spec, with no failures or anomalies. The next step is to build the motors for certification and submit to the testing organization.

I think it is great that manufacturers are developing/producing more motors in the traditional 18mm x 70mm size.

I can't wait to try out these new Quest motors.

What I would like to see are some longer burn motors and a method of reliably staging small APCP propellant motors.
Old 06-13-2020, 09:45 PM
Manufacturer

Longer burn 18mm composites are going to difficult because of the smaller throat size needed. You just can’t get an initiator in anything much smaller than a 0.090” diameter nozzle throat.

We have found that you can stage a C-size black powder booster motor to a C or D Q-Jet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I think it is great that manufacturers are developing/producing more motors in the traditional 18mm x 70mm size.

I can't wait to try out these new Quest motors.

What I would like to see are some longer burn motors and a method of reliably staging small APCP propellant motors.

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace
Division of RCS Rocket Motor Components, Inc.
2113 W 850 N
Cedar City, UT 84721
435-865-7100 (Ph)
435-865-7120 (Fax)
http://www.aerotech-quest.com
http://www.rocketmotorparts.com.com
http://www.specificimpulse.com