Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
How about making an A3-5T and/or an A10-4T then ?
Either would be a needed addition and that would fit.

I second that motion!
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 05-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
How about making an A3-5T and/or an A10-4T then ?
Either would be a needed addition and that would fit.
I could go for that.

I use 1/2A3-4T the most followed by A3-4T. I hardly ever use A10-3T's because most of my 13mm rockets are light and the delay is too short.
NAR #62740 L1
AMA #46042
CMASS & RIMRA Member
Old 05-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
It would've been nice if Estes had just followed MPC's lead in 1971 and made 2.25" long motors instead of going with 1.75".
Centuri's long (2.5", if memory serves) 13 mm B motors had a high CATO rate. If MPC's "Minijet" 2.25" long 13 mm motors (particularly the Bs) didn't have that problem, this would be a promising possibility for Estes. Using external tape retention (wrapping masking tape around the rear end of the motor mount tube [or the body tube, in minimum-diameter birds] as well as the protruding rear end of the motor) and spacer sleeves would permit models to use 13 mm motors of different lengths.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 05-18-2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Centuri's long (2.5", if memory serves) 13 mm B motors had a high CATO rate.

I can't speak about all of the 2.5" long Centuri mini engines but I have never had a CATO on the B4-3 motors I've flown over the years, Probably around 50+ launches. I still have a carton of 48 motors still in their original shrink wrap. We've burned several on our test stand at work and they are great motors. Please dont read anything into that last statement, I just wanted to see how they performed so we tested a few.

I would suggest if there is a motor you would like to see created or brought back that you post this info on the Estes Face Book Page. People higher up the food chain then I read that info.

John Boren
Old 05-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Everything you say is correct, but I am confused by your mentioning of the minimum cost kits and schools and youth groups, especially those in low-income areas.

Are you linking the schools, etc to the A3-6T motor/ Do you see a need for the A3-6T with these groups? Do you see sales potential?
I think there is potential for the A3-6T or (since John said the A3-6T's case volume limitations prevented its return) an A3-5T or A10-4T in the existing 13 mm X 1.75" motor case (using the "C6-7 formula" delay charge powder might make an A10-4T possible in the 1.75" long case) for school and youth group customers. Many low-income areas are rural and even suburban, so flying field space is (paradoxically) often not a problem.
Quote:
I ask, because those groups typically need the exact opposite: they must NOT use a motor that can fly too high because the small rockets will fly out of sight and recover outside the school yard. Students cannot leave school property to run across roads to try to recover insanely high flying rockets, nor can the disappear into the adjacent neighborhood hunting through backyards for their lost rockets.
I agree. Urban launch sites such as school yards are usually on the small side, although I have seen exceptions. A3-5T and/or A10-4T motors would be an option for urban schools that have more generous field sizes. Other youth groups such as the Scouts, 4-H Clubs, and church groups would likely use public parks or city recreation areas (soccer or baseball fields when they're not otherwise occupied) for flying their rockets, and even in cities there are usually places like these that are large enough for the longer-delay motors.
Quote:
Youth group and school program rockets are best launched and recovered within the school yard. Hence the bulk packs of 1/2A3-4T and Up Aerospace models. They really could use bulk packs of 1/4A3-3T motors and they were going to make those at one time (and even had a product number) but then they had to reduce the total number of products being marketed at that time and the porposed new bulk pack was dropped along with some other motors.
Maybe now that a new team is at the helm at Estes, 1/4A3-3T bulk packs could be brought to fruition? For the "postage stamp" urban school yards I've seen, the 1/4A3-3T is an ideal motor.
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 05-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Master Modeler

You can also fly 18mm rockets with mini engines using our new motor adapter or anyone elses motor adapter for that matter.

John Boren
Old 05-18-2011, 08:21 PM
I wish I was a spaceman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
The last time Estes manufactured some A3-6T, for Ed LaCroix's Apogee twenty years ago, they were "full to overflowing". At least most of the ones I have are. Barely enough room for the clay cap, and in some cases, not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet
Which is why this motor is NO longer produced. I tried to get it back!

John Boren

Would it be a huge modification to the 13mm Mabel to make it accept a 2" casing for the extra delay?

You Can't break the laws of physics but they can break you. Christine McKinley

Dale Greene

Mentor, Penn Manor Rocket Club

VISIT SPAAR
2010 Calder Cup
The Old West
2009 Calder Cup

" Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act. " George Orwell
Old 05-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I can't speak about all of the 2.5" long Centuri mini engines but I have never had a CATO on the B4-3 motors I've flown over the years, Probably around 50+ launches. I still have a carton of 48 motors still in their original shrink wrap. We've burned several on our test stand at work and they are great motors. Please dont read anything into that last statement, I just wanted to see how they performed so we tested a few.
This is good and useful to know--thank you for posting this information, John!
Quote:
I would suggest if there is a motor you would like to see created or brought back that you post this info on the Estes Face Book Page. People higher up the food chain then I read that info.
I'm no longer on FaceBook thanks to some...unpleasantness that soured me on the whole shebang, *but* I would be happy to write a postal letter or letters to Estes and/or Hobbico to suggest a few motor types. Who (if you can say without getting into any hot water) would you recommend that I "attention" the letter(s) to? I won't mention you in the letter(s) if you wish. (Even if I was still on FaceBook, I think a postal letter carries more weight because the recipient knows that the sender cares enough about the subject to have expended some time, effort, and money to compose, write, and mail the letter.)
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 05-18-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I think a postal letter carries more weight

I've given my suggestion on what I KNOW will have the best chance of working. I am not saying it will work but it has the best chance of it.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:51 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:

John Boren

Glad to hear that. For thirty years I've had a bag of B4-3m and -5m motors that I've always been afraid to use. Now I'll send a request off to Ted Cochran and fly a few of these puppies.