Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2023, 01:30 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
A minor correction: the decision to use a Common Motor Supply (CMS) for this Championships was made by the US organizers, not the FAI. The 2023 World Championships are being hosted in the United States by NAR members using NAR motors. The use of uncertified motors was never an option for us, as our safety code and insurance would simply not allow it. The leveling of the playing field is a side benefit of that decision.

The Common Motor Supply was a primary feature of the bid we presented to the FAI, and we feel it played a role in the acceptance of our bid. However, it does not represent a shift in FAI policy or rules, and future hosts are not required to do the same. We certainly hope they do, though.

Thanks for the correction.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer
Old 03-02-2023, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Unregulated ZERO-LIABILITY motor making should NOT be illegal.
I would like to see a lot more limitations on litigation and ability to regulate and a lot less on products. Will never change until attorneys are DISALLOWED to be politicians and/or regulators.

"GHR, you go right ahead and make a few hundred engines to sell commercially, sell them publicly, ship them, and watch yourself get into big legal trouble. See how the BATF, NFPA, and other AHJ's won't buy your acting big anonymous braying excuses. Then you'll be the one going "Whaaahh" for real."
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
Old 03-02-2023, 04:56 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
What are these "illegally" made 10mm motors George refers to above ?
The last I checked, making your own motors may be against the NAR safety code (waaahhh), but NOT illegal.

Making BP motors are literally made by thousands of people every day in this country. And 99.9999% are not NAR members. Therefore, the BAR Model Rocket Safety Code is meaningless to them. These of course are made for their own private use in Pyrotechnics . Also thousands of Sugar motors are also made.

I'm aware of several times where the Czech Delta motors somehow ended up in USA and where used by a number of current NAR members.

I'm also aware that down through the past 25 years, current and former NAR members made APCP motors and sold them out of the trunks of their cars at various meets.

Theres a long history of people making and selling motors outside of the rules, regulations and laws. One example: Jerry Irvine.

As far as I know nobody has ever suffered any consequences.
Old 03-02-2023, 05:22 PM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
I am fairly certain the long time black powder guy at Estes told John it could not be done. New guy got it done.

I believe neither the old guy or the new guy really had anything to do with it. It had to do with the performance of the black powder available then versus the black powder they are currently using.

Who in your mind was the old guy? Ed Brown? And the new guy, Ian von Maltitz?
Old 03-02-2023, 05:25 PM
rocket dinosaur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Sorry for the out of focus picture but it's the best I have. Tape is all crumpled and semi-burned.

This is what my 1st kapton tube looked like circa 2006. The ejection charges essentially charred and melted the kapton. Maybe consider 2 mil thick nomex paper?
Old 03-02-2023, 05:31 PM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
A minor correction: the decision to use a Common Motor Supply (CMS) for this Championships was made by the US organizers, not the FAI. The 2023 World Championships are being hosted in the United States by NAR members using NAR motors. The use of uncertified motors was never an option for us, as our safety code and insurance would simply not allow it. The leveling of the playing field is a side benefit of that decision.

The Common Motor Supply was a primary feature of the bid we presented to the FAI, and we feel it played a role in the acceptance of our bid. However, it does not represent a shift in FAI policy or rules, and future hosts are not required to do the same. We certainly hope they do, though.
does this mean the FAI is going to go back to the good old bad days, and let the east euros to continue to make,smuggle and use those motors in FAI competitions?😱
Old 03-02-2023, 05:36 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
I believe neither the old guy or the new guy really had anything to do with it. It had to do with the performance of the black powder available then versus the black powder they are currently using.

Who in your mind was the old guy? Ed Brown? And the new guy, Ian von Maltitz?

My point was John Boren would have been likely told by Ed or someone Ed had told, and Ed has left, so nothing John wrote back then was false.

I just should have said that.

I shouldn’t have assumed a new engineer was able to get the job done but I was led to believe that BP quality was on an invevitable downward slope.
Old 03-02-2023, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
My point was John Boren would have been likely told by Ed or someone Ed had told, and Ed has left, so nothing John wrote back then was false.

I just should have said that.

I shouldn’t have assumed a new engineer was able to get the job done but I was led to believe that BP quality was on an invevitable downward slope.

I also take it as something way low priority, since Estes dropepd the 2 and 6 sec delays in the early 1980's. For a few years they were back as "contracted" motors sold to Art Rose's H-O Sales company, then later for Apogee Components when Ed LaCroix owned it. But the evil Tunick put an end to that, only wanted Estes to sell Estes-made engines, but then refused to bring those 2 and 6 second delay A3's back.

So, from the mid 1990's onwards, Estes seemed to have no interest in making those engines again. And therefore not much use for trying to solve the problem with making 6 second delays without the same BP or other supplies they had available previously.

Then with the Langfords taking over Estes ownership, making it a more modeler-friendly company, a renewed interest and higher priority to make A3-6's again.

Heck, I wold not be surprised if it costs more to make this new 6 second delay A3, due to a specail mix for the time delay, or whatever else, which the previous Tunick Bean-Counters would have killed. Of course I'm totally speculating. In part because I do wonder if the time delay uses a special mix to burn slower per distance, due to the apparently different afterburn than A3-4T's have, that puzzles me why it would be so different.

Anyway, if it cost more to do, or took a lot more engineering $ to solve the problem than the old Estes would have done, we have the Langfords to thank for bringing it back even if they are not making as much money off of it.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
Old 03-02-2023, 06:50 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveriderz
does this mean the FAI is going to go back to the good old bad days, and let the east euros to continue to make,smuggle and use those motors in FAI competitions?😱

It is up to the hosts of the next European and World Championships. Romania and Serbia are each bidding for both.

However, the event director for the 2023 World Championships has shrewdly recruited the head of the FAI Aeromodeling Commission as the Jury President, so who knows what will happen?
Old 03-02-2023, 07:07 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
I also take it as something way low priority, since Estes dropepd the 2 and 6 sec delays in the early 1980's. For a few years they were back as "contracted" motors sold to Art Rose's H-O Sales company, then later for Apogee Components when Ed LaCroix owned it. But the evil Tunick put an end to that, only wanted Estes to sell Estes-made engines, but then refused to bring those 2 and 6 second delay A3's back.

So, from the mid 1990's onwards, Estes seemed to have no interest in making those engines again. And therefore not much use for trying to solve the problem with making 6 second delays without the same BP or other supplies they had available previously.

Then with the Langfords taking over Estes ownership, making it a more modeler-friendly company, a renewed interest and higher priority to make A3-6's again.

Heck, I wold not be surprised if it costs more to make this new 6 second delay A3, due to a specail mix for the time delay, or whatever else, which the previous Tunick Bean-Counters would have killed. Of course I'm totally speculating. In part because I do wonder if the time delay uses a special mix to burn slower per distance, due to the apparently different afterburn than A3-4T's have, that puzzles me why it would be so different.

Anyway, if it cost more to do, or took a lot more engineering $ to solve the problem than the old Estes would have done, we have the Langfords to thank for bringing it back even if they are not making as much money off of it.

Having done product management in a past life for several years, with one foot in sales, one in engineering, and one in manufacturing, it seems likely that what made the new A3-6T happen was the CMS program for the championships. Locking in assurances of a significant initial sales bump and significant exposure, as well as something driving worldwide sales, finally lit enough fire under this idea for Estes to justify deploying whatever resources were deployed to get it done. Whereas just selling dribs and drabs of a new SKU into the specialty hobby marketplace with big movers like HL likely not adding it to the mix wasn't a big enough carrot.

For the championships to come to America, there needed to be a legal motor supply and it needed the longer delay. For Estes to invest to make that happen likely required the rewards and expected longer-term payoff of being the CMS for the championships. It takes two to make the baby.