Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Master Modeler

The Drifter ranks as one on my all time favorites. It looks like a rocket should and flies just as well. Fly it with the 24" chute on a 1/2A...and you MIGHT get it back
Old 06-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott6060842
The Drifter ranks as one on my all time favorites. It looks like a rocket should and flies just as well. Fly it with the 24" chute on a 1/2A...and you MIGHT get it back

I made the mistake of flying my BMS Drifter clone at NSL ('08) with a C6-7 and a 12 inch 'chute.
I bet I walked over a mile to get that darn thing.
When I got back, someone asked me why I did not drive to get it....DOH!

That was a GREAT day! Got to meet Loretta and Mark Hawk, too (Hawks Hobbies). My wallet was considerably lighter after that meeting! LOVE their stuff!
Also met the fellow who is BMS (Bill?). What a nice guy!
Met Panther Jon also; parked right next to him. I think Leo was there, too.
Mark and I and another YORF'er got into a drag race with our Super Orbital Transports. Mark's misfired; mine worked; had to walk another mile to retrieve the orbiter! Thank God for overzealous kids ("hey mister, can I go get that for you?"). I gave him a cold Coke for his efforts!
Too much fun!

Allen
Old 06-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWmarlow
i had one of those.....on B4-4 with the larger of the two chutes installed....it got a thermal and was last seen through binoculars

Heck, mine thermaled away on the 12" chute. Still have the 24" tho - the old style with the Space Plane - like logo.

S.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:59 PM
BP Mafia

Except for the launch lug, which is drying as I type, this one is ready to fly. (Or for primer, then Fill & Finish, which is more likely.)

I was thinking about launching on Sunday, but being that it's Father's Day, I might not have that option. I do have vacation days next week, and with school out, B6-4 Field is deserted during the day, so I'll have to sneak up on one of my vacation days.
Speaking of Father's Day, I told the kids to get me two packs of B6-4s each with the Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon. I should have enough motors to last me a couple of weeks.
Forgot to mention that this is not only an Ebay cone reclamation, but also a junked body tube reclamation. This one was crunched on one end and had been used as a paint tube somewhere along the line.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 06-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Wasted away again.......

Cloned one several years ago. Call me stupid.....go ahead, I'll wait.....but I swear the Drifter flies higher than the Alpha, which I believe weighs less. I flew it last weekend on a Quest B6-4, and I couldn't believe the altitude!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:57 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketcrab
Cloned one several years ago. Call me stupid.....go ahead, I'll wait.....but I swear the Drifter flies higher than the Alpha, which I believe weighs less. I flew it last weekend on a Quest B6-4, and I couldn't believe the altitude!

I have an old school Alpha and a bunch of A8-3s, so I'll try to do a comparison.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 06-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Wasted away again.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
I have an old school Alpha and a bunch of A8-3s, so I'll try to do a comparison.

Sounds good. Waaaaay back in 1968, the buddy of mine who was with me when we first got in to this model rocketry thing, got an Astron Drifter as his second model rocket, and I got the Astron Alpha. [We'd both started out with Astron Scouts, natch] and we flew our kits on A8-3's, and to our 12-year old eyes, his went waaaay higher than mine.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Craftsman

Send a message via ICQ to Swillie

that actually looks really cool just like that ..the shape of that rocket just looks fast sitting still . id be cool to see truefire airbrushed all over it.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swillie
that actually looks really cool just like that ..the shape of that rocket just looks fast sitting still . id be cool to see truefire airbrushed all over it.

Okay. My next two builds are the Drifter and Starfire. I've admired their good looks for some time. Might as well build 'em.

As soon as I finish painting the three I have going.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:12 PM
Master Modeler

Default BMS Drifter Clone

I flew mine a few weeks ago at our club launch (Old Rocketeers, NAR Section # 724) last month down in Needville, TX. Used an A8-3 and resulted in a nice, high flight and long walk, even with a 12 inch parachute. Great model anyway you look at it.