Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2015, 04:44 PM
BP Mafia

Estes Black Brant III. This one used the nose cone from a No. 2 Skywriter that CATO'd on me a few years back and the nozzle from a Crossfire ISX kit that had issues. Decals by Excelsior.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 08-05-2015, 04:46 PM
BP Mafia

Second of the two Stickershock kits that I bought during a 2 for 1 sale a few years back. I need to get another Max Family shot going here soon.

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Old 08-05-2015, 04:49 PM
BP Mafia

The Estes Raven was a kit I bought via Ebay to clone the National Aerospace Plane. I thought the Raven was boring. I used the nose cone and body tube for that project, but kept the fins and decal just in case. A few years later I saw Leo's Raven kit and realized what a cool looking bird it was. The rest, as they say, is history.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 08-05-2015, 04:52 PM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up

THat's a trio of nice looking rockets!
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 08-05-2015, 05:02 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanel
THat's a trio of nice looking rockets!

There's supposed to be a fourth, but my post was apparently eaten. Too bad. That was a lot of typing.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 08-05-2015, 05:15 PM
BP Mafia

Default Bulldog Low - take 2

Back in my redneck days of the early 80's I had a Plymouth Duster. Ugly car; snakeskin vinyl roof, tons of primer, and the rare Flintstone floor option. It did, however, have a V8, a three speed, headers and glasspacks, so what it lacked in looks it made up for in performance and noise. We had a Sunday softball team in those days, and on one Sunday we arrived to find the field in horrible shape despite the absolutely perfect gameday weather. We wanted to play, so we grabbed shovels, rakes and brooms and managed to get the field into playing shape. When we finished, someone mentioned that if we had a car with a trailer hitch we could hook up the field drag and make it look like a professional job.
The Duster had a trailer hitch.
I backed the car up to the drag and we attached the cables as best we could. Before I took off, my buddy Rick advised me to stick it in "bulldog low" and take it slow. I laughed at his choice of words, but completely ignored his advice. For the next ten minutes I turned donuts on the field, slinging the drag around and raising a cloud of dust that headed off to coat the other cars in the parking lot. It had everything, smoke, noise, a cheering crowd, it was quite a show and in the end the field did indeed look professionally done. (If you squinted. Lots.)
Three decades later I had a fin can for a Coaster Space Probe that I just wasn't satisfied with. I also had a BNC-70 nose cone with no clear plan for use. I combined them, and the first thing that popped to mind when I saw them together was Bulldog Low.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 08-05-2015, 10:32 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Bill,
Great decal of the bulldog. Can I assume this is another homemade decal on an inkjet?

I printed a set of Centuri ESS Raven decals after I bought my Samsung Color Laser awhile back, and they looked pretty good. But have not built the rocket, and so I've not tried the decals.

Maybe I'll print something I might actually build and give them a try.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-05-2015, 11:03 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Bill,
Great decal of the bulldog. Can I assume this is another homemade decal on an inkjet?

I printed a set of Centuri ESS Raven decals after I bought my Samsung Color Laser awhile back, and they looked pretty good. But have not built the rocket, and so I've not tried the decals.

Maybe I'll print something I might actually build and give them a try.

Yes! Google Images can be your friend! I had a couple to choose from, but this one spoke to me. Not sure why. It's probably a high school logo. I know Kentucky is lousy with Bulldogs. (As a matter of fact, red and black are the school colors of our local Holmes Bulldogs. I felt like I had to go in that direction.)
I have the basswood parts cut for the ESS Raven since around 2002, and I bought the nose cone from Moldin' Oldies a few years back. I printed my own USS America decal, so I figured I'd be able to do the Raven when the time came. I have a long, sad history with the Raven.

I miss being SAM 0058

Old 08-05-2015, 11:50 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

All those wooden parts to make for the Raven! Probably why I still have the decals. I've been dropping hints to my wife that we could both do some cool "craft" stuff if we bought a laser engraver. I did some prototyping work for a small engineering company a couple years ago. Made myself a bunch of centering rings on their laser engraver. Also did some fins and rings for a 3FNC. (Wow, I copied pic from Photobucket to iPhone and attached it here. Talk about tedious!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  37.6 KB  

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 08-06-2015, 12:20 AM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
All those wooden parts to make for the Raven! Probably why I still have the decals. I've been dropping hints to my wife that we could both do some cool "craft" stuff if we bought a laser engraver. I did some prototyping work for a small engineering company a couple years ago. Made myself a bunch of centering rings on their laser engraver. Also did some fins and rings for a 3FNC. (Wow, I copied pic from Photobucket to iPhone and attached it here. Talk about tedious!)

I've actually cut them out in both cardstock and basswood. The cardstock ones may have been an attempt at a BT-56 downscale, but I'm no longer sure. I seem to remember being gripped by the fever of an idea one night, then having no idea where to go with it the next day.
Pretty sure my background would preclude me from ever owning a laser anything. I have trouble working a screwdriver.

I miss being SAM 0058