Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Master Modeler

Default Decal Paper Blues

OK, I have been buying decal paper from Tango Papa for 5 years or so now. The last batch I got was "defective" in that it had little to no glue. It would come off of the backing paper after 2 seconds in the water and "silver" even when applied to a sheet of smooth, clean glass. I contacted Tom about it and he said mine was the only complaint that he has had. I contacted the company that makes the paper out of the UK and they said they had no complaints yet. I've sent samples to both parties to prove my point, but in the mean time I'm dead in the water for decals (hence no kits right now ). I ordered paper from one of our distributors, Stevens International, and it turned out it was made by the same company I'm having issues with... So. Now I want to order some of the Micro Mark paper. I tried to get in touch with them to find out who makes their paper because I don't want to end up with MORE bad paper. Their line stayed busy all day. Does anyone here know if the Micro Mark laser decal paper is made by Trelis Russell? If any of the sheets say "Decafix" or have any other writing in red, dot matrix type letters on the back, the answer is yes.

NAR #32070
Old 03-01-2010, 08:10 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

got me, the paper I have been using, both inkjet and laser, is by Papillio and I;ve never had issues with a fresh bqatch - did have a batch that aged badly and couple yr old stock did not print or work nicely .

it does however vary printer to printer, HP is great, cannon sucks, etc.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:21 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
OK, I have been buying decal paper from Tango Papa for 5 years or so now. The last batch I got was "defective" in that it had little to no glue. It would come off of the backing paper after 2 seconds in the water and "silver" even when applied to a sheet of smooth, clean glass. I contacted Tom about it and he said mine was the only complaint that he has had. I contacted the company that makes the paper out of the UK and they said they had no complaints yet. I've sent samples to both parties to prove my point, but in the mean time I'm dead in the water for decals (hence no kits right now ). I ordered paper from one of our distributors, Stevens International, and it turned out it was made by the same company I'm having issues with... So. Now I want to order some of the Micro Mark paper. I tried to get in touch with them to find out who makes their paper because I don't want to end up with MORE bad paper. Their line stayed busy all day. Does anyone here know if the Micro Mark laser decal paper is made by Trelis Russell? If any of the sheets say "Decafix" or have any other writing in red, dot matrix type letters on the back, the answer is yes.

Scott, I know several of us have gone through similar problems with decal paper over the last few years. In my case, it started with a bad batch of Bel papers. You could look at the sheets and see where the glue layer was only partially applied, as if the sheet had been cut from the tail-off of the larger roll (where the glue stopped flowing before the paper ran out).

The last batch of decal paper I bought came from Papilio . I don't think these papers are made by the same people; the sheets physically look different, and the glue formulation is absolutely different. I want to try out their laser paper, since I've never been fully satisfied with the results of ink jet printing.

I've used three different printer brands (HP, Lexmark, and Epson), and I've had issues with all three. Orange peel, cracking, and lack of opacity are the biggest problems. Also, ink just not drying completely after a reasonable length of time. Glue formulation has a lot to do with these problems...

Try Papilio. Their papers were just different enough that I was happier with theirs over Bel...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 03-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

I've gotten with HP and Epson over the years. They swear there is nothing they can do to make inkjet ink any better.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:05 AM
Master Modeler

I've had issues with three batches over the past few years. Papilio, Bel(Decalpaper.com), and Micro Mark. My most recent batches were from Bel and Micro Mark papers which looked identical to me, and both displaying the same adhesion problem you described. Bel's customer service is absolutely horrible. Good luck getting in touch with someone there. If you do, you'll be transferred to through several people, each passing the buck to the next, with no resolution or answers. They don't answer emails either. I've not heard of the UK based company you mentioned and don't remember seeing red printing on the back side of the papers I've purchased and only used inkjet paper, so I don't no how relevant my experience is. The decal paper I've have been most consistently happy with(and have ordered several times from) is from Kustom Rides. I usually order the premium grade.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Master Modeler

Well, I ordered 50 sheets from Micro Mark... I'm gonna pray .

NAR #32070
Old 03-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
Well, I ordered 50 sheets from Micro Mark... I'm gonna pray .

I was about to order 500 sheets from Tango Papa...now I don't know.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 03-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman
I was about to order 500 sheets from Tango Papa...now I don't know.

Call or email him! Let him know you are aware of a problem with the glue. Hopefully it will light a fire under somebody's butt to do something about it!

NAR #32070
Old 03-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Master Modeler

Out of all the ones I have tried, Papa Tango is the best.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Out of all the ones I have tried, Papa Tango is the best.

Yes, that was my point at the beginning of this thread. BUT something has changed for the worst with the last batch I ordered.

NAR #32070