Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2022, 06:02 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
The latest date I have on any COX Engines is 4-19-1971, these are the A6-4 engines in the Box
Packaging. All of the engines in the boxes are from 1971.
All of the engines in the Blister Packs are from 1970, the C6-6 engines in the blister pack were not labeled for power rating or date of manufacture ? I think these are likely from 1970 also.

Thanks for checking, Neal, and thanks for the photos, too!

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
aka: Faithwalker
NAR #46879 SR
Old 01-26-2022, 09:14 PM
rocket dinosaur

**** Neil. That's quite a Cox motor collection.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:46 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I used to fly a lot of the D8-3 motors in my Mars Lander and #1284 Space Shuttle.
Too bad they are all but impossible to find now.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-26-2022, 11:26 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I used to fly a lot of the D8-3 motors in my Mars Lander and #1284 Space Shuttle.
Too bad they are all but impossible to find now.

Hi GH,

In the previously mentioned Cox Rocket Motor History thread, https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...21&page=1&pp=10, in post #14, https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/sho...57&postcount=14, you mentioned having some Cox C engines with a '72 or '73 date in your stash still. Are you able to confirm that with the actual production dates and possibly provide some photos please? Thanks.

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR
Old 01-28-2022, 06:40 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithwalker
BTW, I searched the U.S. Patent data base at the USTPO.GOV website for Igniters and Rockets, but no hits on the Cox Safety Igniters so far. I actually have also been corresponding this week with Doug Malewicki, who was the head of Advanced R&D at L.M. Cox Manufacturing Company from 1970-1975, to see if he can share any additional information. He did not have the patent number for the Cox Safety Igniters available, but he may be able to provide additional information. I'll let you know if he does.

Doug Malewicki called me back today and was able to share some additional information on the L.M. Cox Manufacturing Company's production of model rocket engines. Doug said that Cox did terminate model rocket motor production at the Cox Center in Santa Ana, California, when the fatal accident occurred there on June 11, 1971; however, he also said that Cox did have Myke Bergenske produce model rocket engines for them for a while after the accident, because Myke already had model rocket motor production equipment and was capable and able to produce the additional model rocket motors for Cox at that time. Doug did not know for sure how long Myke Bergenske produced additional model rocket motors for Cox.

Doug did say that a gentleman by the name of Ken Kilgore was in charge of the L.M. Cox Manufacturing Company model rocket engine production shop in Santa Ana, California, at the time of the accident. Bill Selzer was president of the company at the time.

Doug Malewicki also mentioned that he was not the designer of the Cox Safety Igniter, but that someone else (he could not remember the name) had done the development of the Cox Safety Igniter before Doug came to work for L.M. Cox in 1970.

Thanks to Doug Malewicki for providing that additional information! Doug is now 82 years young and is still going strong!

Kind regards,
Jeff Jenkins
NAR #46879 SR