Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Seagulls Beware...

Cool Estes Gamma (#1325) BT-60 Upscale (168%)

One of those classic old nearly forgotten rockets of my youth was the Estes Gamma.

I can't remember if it was my Step Brother, or my Uncle (3 months younger than me) who built it, but I know that it didn't make its way into my collection. In reading a thread over on TRF, I was reminded of this kit. However the reminder was given a patriotic paint scheme (based on the coldpowered Estes Yankee 5). I wanted to see the original, so, I googled it, and found it on a number of sites. That, and that Wizard Rocketry has a clone out there (w/a balsa nose cone). Their clone has a nose cone that resembles the (upscaled) BNC-60Y from Semroc. Just so happens that I have a BNC-60Y. I bought it for my Centuri Spirit of America build, but then later found that I should have been using a BNC-60YP for a better match to the original PNC-50Y.

When I decided to switch to the BNC-60YP, that left me with the other NC orphaned. When I saw Wizard Rocketry's version, I saw that their NC strongly resembled the BNC-60Y. In my research, I know that the BNC-60YP would be a closer match for the original's appearance. However, I've got the cone, I have the desire (I wish I had more $$ and time), but my orphan has a home now. The instructions found on YORP are clear, and easy to read, but a bit huge for my computer screen (and printer), so I downloaded them, and uploaded them to my flickr page.

There's no indication of the dimensions of the fins or decals given.

The Original:

Overall Length 20.1"
Nose Cone 4.4"* Estes PNC-50Y
Body Tube 15"
Upper Tube 9.5"
Lower Tube 5.5"
Difference is made up by the fins

Recommended Engines A8-3**, B4-4, B6-4, C6-5

There is no reason, other than to simplify masking for the paint job, for this to be made of two lengths of body tube, when one could do it. I suspect Estes was using scraps from other kits when they designed this one.

*Info found on a quick search. I'll update once I'm more certain
**Recommended for first flights

BT-60 Upscaled (168%)

Overall Length: 33.768"
Nose Cone 7.25" Semroc BNC-60Y (or BNC-60YP)
Body Tube 25.2"
Upper Tube 15.96" ~15 15/16"
Lower Tube 9.24" ~9 1/4"

Difference is made up by the Fins