Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2013, 03:22 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Cool Build Report: Estes Cougar (168% upscale)

One of the rockets that I never got to build, was the Estes Cougar (Kit 1923).

That said, I was in close proximity of one for a short while. You see, my step-brother had one. It was always funny (read: annoying) how his grandfather (Papa) would manage to find a gift for him, and one for me that always made me jealous. Worse, my step-brother's skills at painting were only slightly better than a monkey (Ok, perhaps not, I've seen art from a monkey). I'd do my best to do a nice job on whatever model I got (I know, I was lucky to get anything, but I was a kid with high functioning autism), and his would have all kinds of glue marks, and paint that could have been simply splashed on. Fortunately for my jealousy, he launched his cougar, and lost it (I seem to remember that I got a wizard, and also lost it). One of our other rocket related gifts from Papa... I get a Sizzler (Kit 1906) (crushed under a "helpful" kid's foot while he was running to recover it for me (4th or 5th launch)), he gets a Blue Bird Zero (he didn't glue the engine in well enough though, so it went straight through the rocket on first launch, destroying it).

Now, I still have the abandoned Cineroc body tube as you may remember. I botched it when I mixed Semroc and classic Estes instructions in my attempt to recreate the 1974 Catalog model (still unfinished BTW). There's nothing wrong with the body tube, except that the engine mount is too close to the rear of the body tube, and won't allow a booster stage to fit properly.... Hmmm what to do with a 14", 4 fin slotted, BT-60, that can't be used as a two stage rocket... Hmmm.... Most of my favorites have only 3 fins (or an even multiple of 3). My four fins favorites are fewer in number.... Hmmm.... I also have all that 1/8" balsa stock that isn't enough to do 2+ fins, but is too much to simply toss. What to do.

Well, it's time to work out some issues from my childhood... Among my latest builds is the Estes Magnum (mod) that I need a nose cone to build (and thankfully the Estes Vagabond uses it), but that leaves that 8" section that the Magnum doesn't need.

Original Length: 17.075"
Nose Cone 4.375" (Estes PNC-50Y)
Body Tube 12.7" (BT-50)
Fins at Root 1.85039"*

168%
Length 28 5/8"
Nose Cone 7.35" = 7 5/16" (Semroc BNC-50YP)
Body Tube 21.336" = 21 5/16"
Upper tube 7 5/16"
Lower tube 14"

Fins at Root ~3 1/8"

Plans

* Based on the 47mm measurement found in this thread on YORF.

I've already cut the fins (haven't papered them yet... D**N they're HUGE!!!!). The engine mount is made and installed (back in April)(uses one of those baffles that may burn through though, but this is using (mostly) scraps).

Hopefully Gord will be able to make up some killer decals for this.

Anyway, it's late, and I've got to get some rest before hitting the books tomorrow (no class TGIF).

All The Best!
Jim

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.

Last edited by K'Tesh : 06-28-2013 at 10:18 AM.