Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2021, 04:54 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Default Model Master Plastic Cement

I really like the Model Master 'Liquid Cement for Plastic Models'. Although the pure liquids (e.g. Testors) are fine when the parts fit perfectly, I really like the Model Master stuff for it's gap filling properties when the fit isn't exactly perfect. I've been using it for decades.

Well, I'm running low and was looking to buy some more, but apparently it's been discontinued. Worse, the similar Testors stuff has also been discontinued.

Does anyone know of a good alternative?
Old 10-09-2021, 05:25 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Old 10-09-2021, 07:40 PM
Craftsman

This is my favorite as well, so it only makes sense it gets discontinued. Geez 🙄
Old 10-09-2021, 07:51 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Try Tamiya Liquid Cement in the orange-yellow bottle.
It is fairly thick.

Quite the opposite of their Extra Thin cements (which come in regular speed and extra fast)

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 10-10-2021, 01:44 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

When I have built Apollo LES towers for Little Joe-II models of various scale, I had to use a jig and assemble the individually cut parts together. All the parts were styrene plastic tube or rod. Tube glue would not work, due to leaving bulges and mottled areas. Liquid cement like Plastruct Plastic Weld worked well for basic assembly. BUT, the parts had gaps at the joints.

So, I used a nearly empty bottle of Plastic Weld and put chopped up bits of white styrene into it, so the Plastic Weld would slowly dissolve the styrene bits. It took days, and I shook/stirred it often to speed up the process. Eventually I ended up with a very thin slightly syrupy version of Plastic Weld with dissolved styrene that I could use to fill those gaps.

I used a flat headed dress pin (not needle), holding it by the pointy end, to dip into the Plastic Weld (poured some into the inverted cap), to get one drop of it onto the flat head, place that drop into the area that needed filling, and the drop flowed into place by capillary action. I only did one drop at each joint, let dry, then one more drop, etc, until finally the gaps were filled and the result looked like the part had originally fit perfectly and had been welded like the real thing.

Note that I did not use a brush, as brushing would have gotten the glue a bit past the joint areas and mottled the appearance. At that tiny size, no way to properly “sand” such areas smooth, only fix was never get any glue outside of the joint.
Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer

Last edited by georgegassaway : 10-10-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:38 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdracer
I really like the Model Master 'Liquid Cement for Plastic Models'...

Does anyone know of a good alternative?

In fact, there are several.

My personal favorite for this type of plastic cement is Humbrol Poly Cement, although this glue was reformulated a couple of years ago and the new stuff doesn't have much shelf life. Once my last bottle of the old stuff is done, I'll be switching as well.

Citadel makes a liquid cement very similar to, if not the same as, the old Humbrol, and it's readily available in most hobby shops.

Faller makes a good one, generally available on line. Revell also has a liquid cement, called "Contacta", but I've not tried it and can't comment on it.

A word of caution, though, about buying these products on line - try to find them at a reputable dealer like Tower Hobbies, Sprue Brothers, Mega Hobby, or Hobbylinc; Amazon offers these products but at absolutely absurd prices.

in the photo - Humbrol Poly Cement (the Old type), Citadel, and Faller. All with the steel tube applicator, just like Model Master.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Liquid Cement Alternatives.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  241.8 KB  
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 10-11-2021, 11:00 PM
I do not like Facebook

There were three varieties of Model Masters liquid cement: the worthless "non-toxic," the regular with the red label and the supposedly better one with a black label. I bought one bottle of the latter but never got around to trying it.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 10-14-2021, 01:56 PM
Where'd it go?

Looks like HobbyLinc has a version: https://www.hobbylinc.com/testors-1...y-cement-281216

I haven't tried it; still have an older version from the mid '90s that still works.

Bob

NAR# 54643 L-1

SAM# 043

AMA# 157091

VRCS# 154

A&P# 42x xx xxxx.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:09 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I'm curious as to what makes this specific glue your favorite. Is it the metal needle applicator tip? It's viscosity? Please elaborate. This inquiring mind wants to know.
Old 10-15-2021, 12:13 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
I really like the Model Master stuff for it's gap filling properties when the fit isn't exactly perfect. I've been using it for decades.

Of course I see this now after I ask the question.