Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2021, 11:36 PM
Master Modeler

Agreed on the “distinction without a difference” in the model rocketry context….

And it looks like the folks at Estes agree. The verbiage about “center of mass” is gone from the description of the Rocket Stability Kit.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 09-01-2021, 02:40 PM
Skill Level 2.8 (Nearly Advanced)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Nice money making scheme to sell to schools! As long as there has been model rocketry, the main companies have shown how do do swing tests without spending a nickel. lol

Administrators don't know anything has worth unless you can put a $ value on it.

... I've ordered one. I'm a sucker for widgets, and the string test widget is sweet. Dummy motor weights are fun, too. And, hey, more spare parts.
NAR #87762, NARTREK Silver, Not an actual Silver Snoopy awardee

"Flying Like It's 1980"
Old 09-02-2021, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by olDave
from their product description, with separate mentions about "center of gravity" and "center of mass".....as though they are two different things in two different places

clearly, Estes does not use a technical editor to proof their advertising. kinda embarrassing?

Considering what the Public "schools" are teaching, nowadays, and the fact that Students are "saddled" with Common Core math, it will make no difference in the "big picture".

Dave F.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:43 AM
Skill Level 2.8 (Nearly Advanced)

My Stability Kit arrived on Labor Day ... five days after ordering, which is some kind of fast in the current shipping world.

The instructions have you build three fin cans, each with a coupler and a different fin set. Then you've got more body tube lengths and couplers, and three (PNC-50KA) noses plus a couple pats of clay to mix-and-match.

And then the plastic grip and fixtures for performing swing tests, plus three dummy motors (A, B, C). And instructions with a lot of "DO NOT FLY ON REAL ENGINES" labels. And a really sturdy box.

I bought it for the widgets and the spare parts. And the spare parts are going to work right away, since a motor tube in a kit also in the shipment was squashed mostly flat. Another motor tube is getting repurposed as a payload bay. For my part, a satisfying purchase.
NAR #87762, NARTREK Silver, Not an actual Silver Snoopy awardee

"Flying Like It's 1980"