Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2021, 08:54 AM
BAR

If I didn't already have a built Maxi-Brute Pershing, I'd get one from Boyce. His parts are *very* nice, best 3D printed model rocket parts I've seen. Providing short kits probably fits his business model well, 3D parts can really only be used for low volume. Hmm, now what parts should I get next?
NAR #87246 www.wooshrocketry.org
Old 02-13-2021, 09:49 AM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK
If I didn't already have a built Maxi-Brute Pershing, I'd get one from Boyce. His parts are *very* nice, best 3D printed model rocket parts I've seen. Providing short kits probably fits his business model well, 3D parts can really only be used for low volume. Hmm, now what parts should I get next?

Have you built the Boyce Nike Ajax?

I built this BAH Ajax last year and it was an enjoyable project. My only complaint about the kit is that the quarter-turn engine retainer breaks VERY easily, so fortunately the kit came with some extra ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCN3251.JPG
Views: 22
Size:  353.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCN3249.JPG
Size:  326.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCN3247.JPG
Views: 19
Size:  421.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSCN3252.JPG
Size:  413.9 KB  

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078

Last edited by jeffyjeep : 02-13-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:28 AM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Not to mention BT-101 is not offered in the Estes catalog either.
I don't know if it is available from them or eRockets.

Really?

https://estesrockets.com/product/03...main-body-tube/

Took me about 30 seconds...
Old 02-14-2021, 07:49 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyjeep
Have you built the Boyce Nike Ajax?

I built this BAH Ajax last year and it was an enjoyable project. My only complaint about the kit is that the quarter-turn engine retainer breaks VERY easily, so fortunately the kit came with some extra ones.

Wow, that did turn out great! How much credit would give the Boyce parts versus your ability? Some printed stuff I’ve seen needed a fair amount of sanding and filling - your N-A looks really smooth and consistent.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:32 AM
Old Submariner

Thanks! I'd much rather have the old Estes kit and do a built-up fin job, but this Boyce stuff is AVAILABLE.

It's not quite as smooth as I wanted but it's not too bad. When I do the Pershing I'll try some experimentation with more aggressive abrasives on the extra fin that the kit is supposed to include.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 02-14-2021, 11:08 AM
The Alpha Kid

I've had mixed results sanding 3D printed plastic. I know that my Soyuz is made of thick ABS and I sanded for hours with very little gain. Towards the end I was using 80 grit on an orbital sander with moderate effect.
The fin cans I had printed up recently sand very easily with only 220 grit. I don't know what type of plastic they are made from.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:41 AM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

I had good luck on the Boyce parts wet sanding with 320 (using that foam backed 3M sand paper - I really like that stuff), then a few coats of primer and sanding down again.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:34 AM
Aggressor Aerospace

Simply sanding 3D printed parts isn't the answer. The plastic is often way too hard and porous. This video was a godsend to me for explaining how to deal with 3D printed parts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vgynnYzo08

The key is finding a good FILLING primer. I use Rustoleum "2 in 1 Filler and Sandable" Primer. I buy it at WalMart and I only find it in the automotive section - not with the rest of the spray paint. I put it on thick and heavy - sometimes to the point of getting small runs. It doesn't matter, because I'm going to sand it anyway! After the first coat, I sand with 220-grit. I apply a second coat (usually a bit more carefully), then sand with 320. Finally, I use a normal (cheap Krylon) primer, check for flaws, and paint. Corners and crevices can be difficult to reach, and I sometimes have to re-etch any inset detail. After all, this process is designed to fill cracks! But I get smooth, glossy finishes without the heart-ache. Just some elbow grease.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:22 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

I too swear by Rusto 2-in-1 Sandable Filler Primer. Occasionally Walmart.com puts it on sale. A little over a year ago I bought 6 cans for $3.03 each. They were delivered to my store for pickup. Sometimes items are pulled from the store, and just transferred to Customer Pickup. I have not seen this price lately, it’s been more like $5 a can, but using Walmart.com at least helps see if you can get it, and not have to go looking for it.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 02-15-2021, 02:19 PM
Old Submariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
Simply sanding 3D printed parts isn't the answer. The plastic is often way too hard and porous. This video was a godsend to me for explaining how to deal with 3D printed parts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vgynnYzo08

The key is finding a good FILLING primer. I use Rustoleum "2 in 1 Filler and Sandable" Primer. I buy it at WalMart and I only find it in the automotive section - not with the rest of the spray paint. I put it on thick and heavy - sometimes to the point of getting small runs. It doesn't matter, because I'm going to sand it anyway! After the first coat, I sand with 220-grit. I apply a second coat (usually a bit more carefully), then sand with 320. Finally, I use a normal (cheap Krylon) primer, check for flaws, and paint. Corners and crevices can be difficult to reach, and I sometimes have to re-etch any inset detail. After all, this process is designed to fill cracks! But I get smooth, glossy finishes without the heart-ache. Just some elbow grease.

Dry sand?

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078