Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2020, 08:21 PM
Master Modeler

I have put together a crude simulation in OpenRocket - modeled the shroud/camera as a thick plastic fin attached to a zero length, zero mass body tube, which causes warnings in Open Rocket. Still the altitudes seem reasonable.

File attached.
Attached Files
File Type: ork Estes_Astrocam_2020.ork (2.7 KB, 5 views)
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 07-31-2020, 09:16 PM
Master Modeler

Altitudes are a little optimistic based on my flights from yesterday. I got 292 on B6-4 and 654, 616, 667 and 665 on Cs. The low flight pitched into the wind noticeably more than the others.

The simmed model is ~0.2 ounce light. Mine weighed 2.16 ounces without a motor before the first flight.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 07-31-2020 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:21 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x7
It looks like it was only about 20 degrees off vertical when it ejected. To me flights that eject a little bit over the top are more satisfying. I am sure you have a better feel since you flew it so many times.

I went back and rewatched all six videos from yesterday. One of the C6-5 flights (the one that weathercocked the most) actually got all the way over the top before ejecting. All the others were early, with the model still vertical on the way up on the C5-3 flight (not surprisingly). So yes, some longer delays will be worth a try.

I figured out that a 'chute shroud line got caught on the plastic shock cord mount inside the model which kept the 'chute from getting out on its last flight last night. That's why it got crunched falling from 660 feet up. Added: See picture attached.

I will replace the body tube with some BT-50 (or maybe ST-9) from parts on hand and it will fly again soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_3134.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  1.34 MB  
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 08-01-2020 at 01:30 AM. Reason: adding picture of hung parachute shroud
Old 07-31-2020, 09:47 PM
Sometimes collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I went back and rewatched all six videos from yesterday. One of the C6-5 flights (the one that weathercocked the most) actually got all the way over the top before ejecting. All the others were early, with the model still vertical on the way up on the C5-3 flight (not surprisingly). So yes, some longer delays will be worth a try.

I figured out that a 'chute shroud line got caught on the plastic shock cord mount inside the model which kept the 'chute from getting out on its last flight last night. That's why it got crunched falling from 660 feet up.

I will replace the body tube with some BT-50 (or maybe ST-9) from parts on hand and it will fly again soon.

If you use ST-9 you might want to stick with the delays you have already used, it might end up almost perfect. I love that you use the altimeter every time.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:41 PM
Master Modeler

Yeah, it'll pick up a tenth of an ounce or so, I'd guess, if I use ST-9. I do have some BT-50, but none in white, and I'd like to attempt to pull the sticker off the crunched pearly white body tube and transfer it to the repaired bird.

added: after weighing tubes, it'll pick up just short of two tenths of an ounce if I use ST-9 to rebuild it.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE

Last edited by BEC : 08-01-2020 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:49 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Are you sure it's BT-50? *This* https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes/estes_astrocam.htm Estes Astrocam listing in AC Supply's catalog shows a 1.34" diameter (the body tube, not the camera section) 1979 Estes Astrocam 110, with an updated blue-and-black decor scheme. The camera is also, I was surprised to see, a *film* camera using 110 film--the listing text says:

EST1327
Fully assembled 110 Rocket Camera Nose Cone!
Easier to use shutter release!
Takes Photos From Low Altitude (B6-4) or High Altitude (C6-7)
Includes a FREE roll of Kodak Gold 110 Color Film
Quick building. No painting required!
The Estes Astrocam 110 is back and better than ever! The Estes rocket camera nose cone has a newly redesigned shutter release that makes it even easier to set up. Includes a FREE 24 exposure roll of Kodak Gold 110 color print film. (ASA400) Launch it on B6-4 for close up low altitude photos or take it to the limit on a C6-7 for high shots.
Film developing and prints not included. Film sold separately also.

Specifications:
Length: 18.4" (46.7cm) Diameter: 1.34" (34mm)
Max Altitude: 500ft (152 meters) Recovery:12" Parachute
Fins: Plastic Engines: B6-4, . C6-7
All Estes orders totalling $500.00 will receive another 10% off
(That equal to 40% off the list price).
This discount will not be reflected on your shopping cart, but will be deducted from your invoice!

That's what you get when you re-use names. People downstream think they can re-use other materials!

That listing is for the old film Astrocam.

And who knows? Maybe AC Supply still has a few of those.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:52 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
It seemed to still be ascending a little at ejection on the B6-4. The rocket is obviously a little lighter than I thought it would be with all the plastic parts.

Also don't forget they are counting in Estes Seconds, which equal between 0.8 and 0.9 real seconds. That flight ejected pretty much right at 4 seconds after liftoff, so the actual delay was probably 3.2 seconds!
Old 08-01-2020, 03:02 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC

And even though I was out in the field for around an hour and a half and the camera's quoted run time is ~40 minutes on a charge I had no issues with that. There appears to be a fairly short self-time-out if the camera is in standby. It's one minute. If the camera is on, but not recording, it shuts itself off after one minute. This made my six flights possible on one charge with no real worry.

Thanks for noticing that. I've also noticed that it shuts off when you plug it in for charging.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:07 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

All in all, I was originally disappointed in the video quality, but upon thinking about it, with the tiny mass, the size, the form factor being so compact and uncluttered (compared to, say, an 808 key fob camera), and mainly the price point they were able to make after including a kit, a launcher, controller, and two motors,

.... and especially compared to the two previous efforts (Oracle and Astrovision)....

this is quite a good value.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:13 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
I figured out that a 'chute shroud line got caught on the plastic shock cord mount inside the model which kept the 'chute from getting out on its last flight last night. That's why it got crunched falling from 660 feet up. Added: See picture attached.
I've bought several of the ARF/E2X style rockets on clearance over the years to give to kids. They had the same 2 piece shock cord retainer. The plastic often caught a shroud line on them.