Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2021, 06:37 PM
Master Modeler

Default New Wood Glue I am trying

So far I have used this new Aliphatic Resin glue from Titebond on one rocket, some furniture, a Guillows model and some test pieces. So far this glue is great, performs like Titebond original except it dries a lot faster. Best part, it dries clear and strong. I did some test pieces where I first sealed the balsa with Brodak balsa sealer, then glued it to another piece of sealed balsa. I added a small glue fillet and let it dry. The balsa broke apart before and the glue joint did not give. Also did a test on a bare body tube with sealed balsa with fillets, could not break the glue joint. So far this glue is working great. My next test will be on a large vintage RC balsa plane and maybe the Orbital Transporter. On the OT I will seal all the balsa first this time and then assemble, much easier than last time of building the rocket then applying the sealer. I will keep you updated on my glue trials.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0009.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  1.47 MB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0010.JPG
Views: 70
Size:  1.46 MB  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FF1242_TB_Speed_Set.pdf (670.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-29-2021, 06:41 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
So far I have used this new Aliphatic Resin glue from Titebond on one rocket, some furniture, a Guillows model and some test pieces. So far this glue is great, performs like Titebond original except it dries a lot faster. Best part, it dries clear and strong. I did some test pieces where I first sealed the balsa with Brodak balsa sealer, then glued it to another piece of sealed balsa. I added a small glue fillet and let it dry. The balsa broke apart before and the glue joint did not give. Also did a test on a bare body tube with sealed balsa with fillets, could not break the glue joint. So far this glue is working great. My next test will be on a large vintage RC balsa plane and maybe the Orbital Transporter. On the OT I will seal all the balsa first this time and then assemble, much easier than last time of building the rocket then applying the sealer. I will keep you updated on my glue trials.

Whoa, that's a serious modeler buying glue by the gallon!

Thanks for the report, David!
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-29-2021, 11:46 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Where can one obtain this new Titebond (preferably in less than a GALLON) ?

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 01-30-2021, 07:14 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:

Does this new version tend to shrink as much as the ‘old’ Titebond? I used Titebond quite a bit in my building, but not for gluing engine mounts into body tubes, as it shrinks too much when it dries and can ‘pull’ dimples into body tube outer surface where the glue dried around the mount/body tube interface. So, I always use epoxy for those applications.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-30-2021, 07:42 AM
Master Modeler

When they say “Speed Set” they aren’t kidding - total assembly time 2-10 minutes. Sounds perfect for surface mount fins. Would I use a gallon within the 24 month shelf life? Probably - the build pile is sure big enough - but I still hope Titebond starts selling this in smaller amounts just to save the hassle of decanting it.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:11 AM
Master Modeler

This glue does shrink but not as much as original Titebond. I hope they start selling it in smaller bottles, I know they have made the bottles but have not started selling it. Sent them an email and see if they will send you out a small bottle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  Titebond.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  10.2 KB  
Old 01-30-2021, 05:18 PM
Craftsman

I have been using these. Not sure if there is any real difference other than the color (one is greyish, the other white). Both dry without running. Can glue together a rocket and fillet the fins very quickly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  IMG_2004.JPG
Views: 46
Size:  512.1 KB  
Old 01-30-2021, 05:40 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
So far I have used this new Aliphatic Resin glue from Titebond <snip good report for brevity>.

Ok, so it works great. Now for the real question. Does it taste good?
Old 01-30-2021, 05:48 PM
Retired Missile Technician

and is it less filling? Filleting?
Old 01-30-2021, 05:52 PM
Scale Modeler Extrodinare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Does this new version tend to shrink as much as the ‘old’ Titebond? I used Titebond quite a bit in my building, but not for gluing engine mounts into body tubes, as it shrinks too much when it dries and can ‘pull’ dimples into body tube outer surface where the glue dried around the mount/body tube interface. So, I always use epoxy for those applications.

Earl

Earl, it's not just Titebond - all water based glues will shrink - just some more than others. I sometimes use Elmers 'Glue All' to finish off fin fillets before painting as it doesn't shrink as much as Titebond and gives a better finish for painting, but even it can shrink enough to distort the body tube when used for gluing engine mounts in the tube (not that I've used it for that in many decades).
Yes, for anything that I care about, epoxy to mount the engine mount in the body tube.
I'll be sure to give this new Titebond a try - at least when it's available in smaller sizes...