Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2021, 04:13 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The NASASpaceflight guys kept saying that SN15 would re-ignite all three raptors then shut one or two down. Video only showed two and they burned all the way down. I don't know if the third started and immediately shut down and we just didn't see it because of the poor downlink, or if it never started. If it didn't, the question would be, was it supposed to?
They need two for the flip. On one of the previous tries (SN9, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTwBllaqcME), they attempted to light 2 and only one lit - so they decided to light 3 and immediately shut down the weakest - and complete the flip on two. So that had happened already before it came out of the cloud deck. Only requires one for landing, so just before touchdown, they can drop to one engine (although I understand they can throttle down far enough to land with two engines still firing).
Old 05-07-2021, 08:12 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapton
They need two for the flip. On one of the previous tries (SN9, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTwBllaqcME), they attempted to light 2 and only one lit - so they decided to light 3 and immediately shut down the weakest - and complete the flip on two. So that had happened already before it came out of the cloud deck. Only requires one for landing, so just before touchdown, they can drop to one engine (although I understand they can throttle down far enough to land with two engines still firing).

Yes, but my point was I never saw the 3rd one light. I don't know if it was done quick enough that the video glitch missed it, or if it never started. They had video in the engine bay running at startup so the clouds didn't affect what I was looking at.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:58 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Yes, but my point was I never saw the 3rd one light. I don't know if it was done quick enough that the video glitch missed it, or if it never started. They had video in the engine bay running at startup so the clouds didn't affect what I was looking at.

Maybe they feel they have improved the reliability of the Raptor enough in this incarnation that they went back to only starting two. Or maybe the polling and shutdown of the weakest happens real fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IDMM63InLY at about 5:57.
Old 05-07-2021, 03:01 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapton
Maybe they feel they have improved the reliability of the Raptor enough in this incarnation that they went back to only starting two. Or maybe the polling and shutdown of the weakest happens real fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IDMM63InLY at about 5:57.

I watched that several times the other day and I just don't think it could fire and shut down quick enough not to see it in the short glitch. It takes a couple seconds to spool up to full thrust. I'm thinking it never started, but I don't know if it was on purpose or not.