Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > BARCLONE > Designer's Studio
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 01:49 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Estes Classic Series 60 70 80 80H

Last of the nose cones (until Carl adds some more )...

Missing:

BNC-60AB
BNC-60AK
BNC-60AL
BNC-60AM
BNC-60BC
BNC-60SV
BNC-60T
BNC-70AP
BNC-70HZ (this will be included in the transition section)
BNC-80CO
BNC-80HCO
Attached Files
File Type: csv NCDATA_Estes Classic Series 60 70 80 80H.csv (4.0 KB, 216 views)

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-31-2008, 02:00 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
Here are Semroc Classic and Clear Plastic Body tube parts. James file contained most, but I followed the same methodology being used so far for the nose cones. This is every classic and clear plastic Semroc body tube listed on the web site.

Weight (mass) was not available on the web site for the following clear plastic tubes:

PST-50S
PST-50MJ
PST-55
PST-55-180

If anyone has known weights for these tubes, please let me know and I'll update the parts file.

... Bill

Use a value of 0.0275 oz per 1" of length for the PST-50. This comes from the old 741 parts Catalog.

PST-60 is measured at 0.053 oz per 1" length. Since PST-55 is about... oh, 70% of PST-60, then use a guestimated value of about 0.0371 oz per 1" of length for PST-55. If we find out anything different, we can change it then. These values will be "good enough" for right now...

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Just another BAR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
Use a value of 0.0275 oz per 1" of length for the PST-50. This comes from the old 741 parts Catalog.

PST-60 is measured at 0.053 oz per 1" length. Since PST-55 is about... oh, 70% of PST-60, then use a guestimated value of about 0.0371 oz per 1" of length for PST-55. If we find out anything different, we can change it then. These values will be "good enough" for right now...

Thanks Craig, working on updating file now. I am also working on Semroc Balsa Tube Adapters. These are solid balsa so I believe they should fall into the Bulkhead parts file. I'll post shortly.

... Bill
Old 12-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Just another BAR!

Craig - any thoughts on the Autosize field associated with bulkheads, adapters, centering rings etc. Should it be set to enabled (1) or disabled (0). The selection of parts files I have for review don't seem to show any consistency, even within a specific vendors parts. Probably not critical, but I thought I'd ask since we are working on standard parts files.

... Bill
Old 12-31-2008, 04:01 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt2k1
I am also working on Semroc Balsa Tube Adapters. These are solid balsa so I believe they should fall into the Bulkhead parts file.

Agreed. They are bulkheads, and that's also what Estes called theirs -- bulkheads.

Quote:
...any thoughts on the Autosize field associated with bulkheads, adapters, centering rings etc. Should it be set to enabled (1) or disabled (0)?

Set it to DISABLED if you specify the ID and OD. I think all this does is set or clear the check box on the dialog, but we want folks to have our dimensions stay fixed normally.

If you happen to start working on Transitions, remember to do TWO versions of each -- one drawn with the small diameter to the left, and the other with the small diameter to the right. Small D on the left will be the "normal" transition. Use "[R]", or "reversed', in the Description for the second one.

Also, remember that nose cones can now be used as tail cones! These need to be saved in the Transition (or Reducer) category as well, with the shoulder to the left side. Set the "small diameter" to 0.0001", and clear the shoulder dimensions for that end.

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 12-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Just another BAR!

Default Semroc Solid Balsa Tube Connectors (bulkheads) - Rocksim Parts

Here are the Semroc solid balsa tube connectors (also known as bulkheads.)

I set the CG @ 50% of the total length of connector.

The parts file contains all currently listed connectors on Semroc web site.

Next up Transitions. These should keep me busy waiting for the ball to drop at Time Square!

... Bill

Edit: Issue discovered with measurement unit data field. Changed "in." to "in" to resolve issue. Rocksim did not seem to care for the extra period. Part file has been corrected and reposted.
Attached Files
File Type: csv BHDATA_Semroc Solid Balsa Tube Connectors.CSV (3.2 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by rkt2k1 : 01-01-2009 at 03:01 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Just another BAR!

Default Semroc Tube Couplers - Rocksim Parts

Here are the Semroc tube couplers.

I set the CG @ 50% of the total length of coupler.

The parts file contains all currently listed couplers on Semroc web site.

Still working on the Transitions part files.

... Bill

Edit: Updated part file. Craig found an issue with original file.
Attached Files
File Type: csv TCDATA_Semroc Tube Couplers.CSV (1.8 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by rkt2k1 : 12-31-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:50 PM
The_Ripper

Default New Plan -- KE-4 EnerJet Egg Crate

I'm looking over some of my older RockSim files updating with version 9 and ran across this one that was detailed in a build / fly thread I started three years ago that Craig & Scott had mentioned might be a good BARCLONE candidate. I'm also refining a few other EnerJet builds that I have RockSim files for and I'll post those as soon as they are finished.

The Egg Crate model I built was based on LT-125 tubing and was modified to fit the egg capsule to the airframe tube. The RockSim file posted below is for a Semroc ST-13 version, like the original and features an accurate fin pattern that John Dyer posted when the build was being discussed. I also posted a file that uses a 24mm adapter if you're not looking to fly all out with 29mm motors.

Pay attention to the Egg (mass object) in the design. It is noted in the original EnerJet instructions that the model was designed to be flown with a minimum payload of 1-1/2 ounces for adequate stability. This is important as I noted this to be true with a built model CG/CP as well as some of the RockSim stability estimations ..... it needs the weight. Check your stability before flight! Original model was designed especially for NAR egg lofting competitions and could be flown on the E24, F52 & F67 EnerJet motors.

Build / flight details for my LT-125 version are in this thread:

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=621

I have another RockSim file for a version using all Semroc parts including a balsa nose cone / balsa transition with the parts on hand to build it however I didn't post that file because although it would make a nice replica it would be useless as an egg lofter due to space limitation in the short ST-20 due to the solid balsa parts. If there is interest I'll dig it out and post it.

Length: 22.06"
Diameter: 2.04" (Egg Capsule), 1.34" (ST-13 / Airframe)
Span Dia: 5.96"
Weight: 5.18 oz (Including 2 oz Mass Object - Egg)

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  EnerJet Egg Crate KE-4 ST13 29mm.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  10.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  001 EnerJet Egg Crate LT125.JPG
Views: 456
Size:  98.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  002 EnerJet Egg Crate LT125.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  186.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Screenprint EnerJet Egg Crate KE-4 ST13 29mm.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  122.2 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: rkt EnerJet Egg Crate KE-4 ST13 29mm Corrected Fin Pattern v9.rkt (77.1 KB, 223 views)
File Type: rkt EnerJet Egg Crate KE-4 ST13 24mm Corrected Fin Pattern v9.rkt (32.1 KB, 226 views)
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates

Last edited by snaquin : 12-31-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:36 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Default Final Thoughts for 2008

I am recognizing Steve's revised Egg Crate as the last official BDS entry for 2008. This post will be counted as two entries, one with 24mm power, and the other with 29mm. If he had given us a design with a changeable mount, then it would have only been one entry.

We are going to lock down the "BARCLONE Designer's Studio" thread to new posts in a few days, and create a new thread to take the 2009 posts. This is mostly for archival purposes, as we have perhaps the longest threads on the forum. By starting fresh each year, these threads can be kept relatively safe for referencing later. The new thread will be called "BARCLONE Designer's Studio 2009", and should be available for posting today. Please begin using the new thread when it becomes visible.

I want to say Thank You to everyone who helped us cross the 500-design milepost in 2008, and I look forward to seeing the next mileposts rush past so fast they're nearly invisible. We are only about 30 designs short of 600 now, after locating some previously-missed posts from the old "Scrounged" threads. The 700-design target should be passed easily before the end of the year, and we may be seeing the 800-design target before we realize it. You can be a part of this project, too. Grab a copy of RockSim 9 and start playing with it, learning it, getting comfortable with the features. Then let your mind run free!

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Closed Thread