Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Master Modeler

Default Vintage Estes Bat Build

Well I have the next 2 weeks off so I am going to start a couple of builds. I am waiting to prime my Condor so I will start on the Bat and X-Wing. I cloned the Bat a couple of years ago and has been a great fly-er. I gave the cloned Bat to my friend who wants to start rocketry. I did replace his rocket with a Semroc BNC-50X and took my plastic one back. Will soak it in Purple Power to remove the paint and store it away for a rainy day. With this clone gone, I have replaced the few clones I had with originals. This is a easy build but a fun fly-er. Will be gone this weekend but should have this done by next Tue. The kit and decals are in great condition. I have another unopened kit in storage.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:24 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Hey, scigs...

Could you scan the artwork card for YORP? I don't think we have that image on any plan site yet...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 06-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Master Modeler

I am now ready to apply the decals. I applied several coats of Balsa sealer, one coat of grey primer then sanded. Sprayed on coat of flat black, sanded smooth. Sprayed on coat of Glossy black. Applied 2 coats of Microsol to the decals.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Forest Sprite

Please, God, someday before I die I want to be able to put a paint job on a rocket that is even close to being as smooth and even as that one...

My Bat clone from two years ago has still not progressed beyond the primer stage. I've gotten quite a bit better at building rockets though, so I think that I'm going to just start over with a new one.

(OK, why is there no green envy smiley in this darned vbulletin editor??)

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 06-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Please, God, someday before I die I want to be able to put a paint job on a rocket that is even close to being as smooth and even as that one...

My Bat clone from two years ago has still not progressed beyond the primer stage. I've gotten quite a bit better at building rockets though, so I think that I'm going to just start over with a new one.

(OK, why is there no green envy smiley in this darned vbulletin editor??)

Mark \\.

Trust me Mark its not me. That Krylon stuff is awesome. I have painted other models with Testors and other brands of paint with poor results. To date I have never had a run or orange peel with Krylon. The acrylic Lacquer is great stuff. My only paint jobs that have ever come close to Krylon has been with my airbrush.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Master Modeler

The Bat is done. The decals do not match up perfect, but they still look nice. I did not use Microscale and the white looks white. I looked at the Estes picture on the insert card and I could tell their decals did not line up either.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Trust me Mark its not me. That Krylon stuff is awesome. I have painted other models with Testors and other brands of paint with poor results. To date I have never had a run or orange peel with Krylon. The acrylic Lacquer is great stuff. My only paint jobs that have ever come close to Krylon has been with my airbrush.

I wish that my experience with Krylon was the same, but that is not a comment on their paint. My problem is not with the paint, but with the painter. Krylon may have put an improved nozzle button on their New Formula paints, but they still haven't fixed the tool that pushes it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your Bat with all of its decals.

Mark \\.
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 06-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Forest Sprite

W00t, there it is! Nice!!!

Maybe I'll get cracking on my rebuild now. If I start right away, I may get it done by Halloween 2009...

Mark \\.
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 06-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
The Bat is done. The decals do not match up perfect, but they still look nice. I did not use Microscale and the white looks white. I looked at the Estes picture on the insert card and I could tell their decals did not line up either.

Well, you could have fooled me! That's surely a catalog shot if I ever saw one!

Mark \\.
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 06-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Master Modeler

Ready for flight, long crepe streamer and 36 inch rubber shock cord.