Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2021, 09:53 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Roy-

See any familiar faces in the NARAM-13 snapshots? Any chance you knew Fred in any way?

Earl

I probably met him at either NARAM 32 or 33. He edited a newsletter that had the same name as our club's newsletter.

he has a bunch of photos of Bruce Blackistone's Valkyrie/Disaster 17-D (name might be wrong in some aspects). it was built Wednesday night on the walkway outside their room and flown/destroyed Thurdsay on an Enerjet F67 (you can see the flight on my "Rocket Film" on the royatlvideo youtube channel). And there's one picture of Chris Pearson holding his Vostok and Bruce was looking on. Other than that, the only other recognizable picture from NARAM 13 was one with the back of Pam looking at something with a couple of other guys and someone who is probably Lee Piester.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:01 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

here's the facebook thread on the Estes Model Rockets group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/107...95117947217678/
Old 09-05-2021, 10:09 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
here's the facebook thread on the Estes Model Rockets group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/107...95117947217678/

Thanks Roy for the posts and for the Facebook link pointer. I don’t do Facebook, but was able to look at a fair amount of the content at that link. That was helpful. Sounds like Fred was an all around great guy.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-06-2021, 10:17 AM
Aggressor Aerospace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Fred Williams was a long-time NAR member who was a somewhat serious competition flyer and an all-around quality model builder.

I think I first met Fred at either NARAM-29 or -32. He was pretty low-key but the quality of his modeling skills did most of his talking.

He was part of the MIVARS section in the 1980s & 1990s until he moved to Utah and flew with the UROC NAR Section.

While Fred flew all sorts of competition events he like the craftsmanship events the most. Any scale event and PMC he was all-in.

Fred also liked to sport fly and make odd-rocs all of which he put the same quality and care into building.

I can't remember the last time I saw him. I spoke with Fred at NARAM-52 but I don't recall if I saw him after that event.

Fred was a quality modeler and a good guy.

Anybody recognize the Thor variant on the right? I'm not familiar with that one!
Old 09-06-2021, 11:02 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Fred Williams was a long-time NAR member who was a somewhat serious competition flyer and an all-around quality model builder.

I think I first met Fred at either NARAM-29 or -32. He was pretty low-key but the quality of his modeling skills did most of his talking.

He was part of the MIVARS section in the 1980s & 1990s until he moved to Utah and flew with the UROC NAR Section.

While Fred flew all sorts of competition events he like the craftsmanship events the most. Any scale event and PMC he was all-in.

Fred also liked to sport fly and make odd-rocs all of which he put the same quality and care into building.

I can't remember the last time I saw him. I spoke with Fred at NARAM-52 but I don't recall if I saw him after that event.

Fred was a quality modeler and a good guy.

Bob-

Somehow I missed your response when it was posted yesterday...thanks for your recollections of Fred and the photos you posted. I recall he modeled and flew a decent sized scale model at NARAM-30 and it seems it was a Thor or Delta variant of some kind, but I don't recall which and my photo albums are too numerous to go through quickly to pick it out.

Thanks again.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 09-06-2021, 12:29 PM
Incurable Model Rocketeer

Send a message via Yahoo to DeanHFox
Default Project Fishbowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by frognbuff
Anybody recognize the Thor variant on the right? I'm not familiar with that one!
I believe he was modeling a Thor variant from Project Fishbowl at Johnston Island. Those "pods" telemetered data back from the H-bomb detonation above the atmosphere.

"Operation Fishbowl aimed to launch and detonate hydrogen bombs at high altitudes. The program was designed to test high altitude nuclear weapons effects against ballistic missile reentry vehicles (RVs). The Thors carried instrumented RVs and "pods" attached to the side of their propulsion sections. The RVs and pods were released prior to warhead detonation. After reentering, the RVs floated beneath parachutes to the Pacific and were recovered. The Thors flew from a pair of tactical launchers (Launch Emplacements 1 and 2) set up near one corner of the tiny island. During launches, most Johnston Island personnel had to be evacuated to ships standing offshore. "

(from https://www.spacelaunchreport.com/thorh5.html)
NAR #53946SR

---- "Wherever you go, there you are"
Old 09-06-2021, 03:34 PM
Aggressor Aerospace

Very cool! Thanks!