Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2007, 08:04 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Just to be sure, my questions about the Nike-Smoke are no joke - I'm embarassed to say this, but I really do not know anything about it.

(ROTW has been out of print for a long time now, and I cannot scare up a copy of it to buy anywhere. Apparently, every known copy of it is in the possession of a cult of elite scale modelers, who have their copies locked away in secret, off-shore locations, and who have together sworn an oath to never reveal any of the book's contents to the uninitiated, under penalty of death. )

Mark

Nah, thanks to the Beer Skunk, I've got a copy.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 04-07-2007, 04:31 AM
Forest Sprite

Red face

Quote:
I apologize in advance for the elementary level of these next questions. You, see, I've never built a Smoke, or even seen one, except in pictures from model rocketry web sites.

OK, I'll admit to being just a bit thick at times - so just ignore my questions about the Nike Smoke. I'll try to find the answers on my own. I apologize for submitting a brain-dead post (and a meaningless follow-up).

Unless I find out otherwise, I'll assume that the model uses 1/4" balsa for the fins. As for the nose cone, I have an idea for a simple way to put an extension on the base of a Semroc BC-20107 that I think will give it the desired length and profile.

My other questions about the 'Smoke were answered by rereading the kit instructions. I guess that I should have tried that first.

Mark
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 04-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Quote:
I haven't come across any original kits anywhere, and I've been looking.

Mark
Mark,

Check out E-Bay. Kits are coming up all the time there (not necessarily the scale kits but Vikings and Penetrator and so forth). Recently a Viking 1 (I think) went for just over $30 and a penetrator just under $25.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Master Modeler

Default FSI Nike-Smoke

Quote:
Al or Don,

I am looking for some info on some of FSI's scale models - specifically, the Nike-Smoke,

Fin material - balsa, right? What is the thickness?

That nose cone - It's not just a simple conical, right? I mean, it looks like it flares out a little bit at the bottom. Is that some sort of bottom skirt around the base of the nose cone? In the FSI scale nose cone, how far does the base of the nose cone flare out from the top of the body tube?

Also, how long is the nose cone for this kit?

There are hatch covers shown in the plans. Where do these go? Are they decals, or paper?

TIA,

Mark
Fin material is a ply (maybe birch) , 1/8 inch think.

The nose cone is conical shaped but with a blunted tip (9/32" wide at tip). Slopes to a transitioned bottom. Slope is 12 5/16" long and about 2.25" wide at the base. It then transitions in (slope about 7/16" long to a width of about 2") Shoulder length is 1 1/8" long.

Hatch covers are printed on card stock (black on white bolts).

I guess based on your latest post that you found the hatch covers go on the nose cone.

Kit body tube is 16 1/8" long, 2" inside diameter. Kit included a 22" nylon parachute.

Standoffs for the launch lugs are 1/4" balsa, root edge 3 1/8" long. Lug joint edge is 2" long. Depth is 9/16".

The kit was designed to fly on the FSI 27mm motors. I think I would build for 29mm. With an adapter, you'd be able to fly both 24mm and 29mm motors (E thru F).

Below is some scale data from a Quest Nike-Smoke Kit. I'm surprised none was included with the FSI version. Ususally, you have to save a tif and then open with a tif viewer. If you have trouble seeing the tif, just post here and we'll try to help you out.
Attached Files
File Type: tif Quest Nike Smoke 2007 08.tif (138.5 KB, 68 views)
Old 04-07-2007, 07:53 AM
Master Modeler

Default FSI Sandia Sandhawk

Quote:
OK, now the Sandhawk. I'm on firmer ground here, in that I'm not totally clueless about the actual rocket that it is based on.

Fin material and thickness?

Antenna material - I'm guessing music wire? Any estimate of the gauge/diameter?

Nose cone length?

Fin brackets - are they decals, or made of paper or cardboard? Are the screw heads colored gold, or just left white?

Details - are there decals or wraps for the other details (various asst . bolts and screw heads, etc.) or is that up to the builder?

(actually, I'll probably just detail it to my own satisfaction/level of obsessiveness/level of patience anyway.)

TIA,

Mark
Fin material is 1/4" balsa.

Antenna is 1/16" music wire.

Nose cone is 5 7/8" long with a shoulder length of 1 1/16". There is a score line around it's circumfrunce (sp?) 3/16" from the shoulder.

Fin supports and shroud details are all printed on card stock.

No other details or decals came in my kit. The paint scheme in the instructions show the various colors and banding that have to be painted. You will want to make a copy of the fin supports and shround patterns so you can paint the bolts and lines back in once the rocket has been painted for final.

Body tube sizes match what is stated in the plans.

The balsa block is 2 5/8" long.

FWIW....The Estes Sandhawk plans have a very good detail for the paint scheme.

Last edited by barone : 04-07-2007 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Add comment
Old 04-07-2007, 07:56 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
..........(ROTW has been out of print for a long time now, and I cannot scare up a copy of it to buy anywhere. Apparently, every known copy of it is in the possession of a cult of elite scale modelers, who have their copies locked away in secret, off-shore locations, and who have together sworn an oath to never reveal any of the book's contents to the uninitiated, under penalty of death. )

Mark
Mark,

You can get a copy from Amazon.com. Used but in like new condition $249. New $599.

Yep, I don't have one either
Old 04-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Master Modeler

Default FSI Scale Kits

Don't forget, there are a couple of other really nice scale kits produced by FSI, Javelin and WASP.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:18 AM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Don't forget, there are a couple of other really nice scale kits produced by FSI, Javelin and WASP.

Yep .... I had a MIB Javelin that I sold a few years back

Might have to try to build one someday .

As for the WASP, I have never seen one in person, even in the 6-7 years I was an FSI dealer.

I'd assumed it was vaporware until one was shown on one of the , iirc, Rocketman videos.

~ AL
Old 04-07-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Al or Don,

I am looking for some info on some of FSI's scale models - specifically, the Nike-Smoke, the Sandia Sandhawk, and the Black Brant. To keep these posts manageable, I'll make separate posts for each model. First the Nike-Smoke.

Fin material - balsa, right? What is the thickness?

I apologize in advance for the elementary level of these next questions. You, see, I've never built a Smoke, or even seen one, except in pictures from model rocketry web sites.

That nose cone - It's not just a simple conical, right? I mean, it looks like it flares out a little bit at the bottom. Is that some sort of bottom skirt around the base of the nose cone? In the FSI scale nose cone, how far does the base of the nose cone flare out from the top of the body tube?

Also, how long is the nose cone for this kit?

There are hatch covers shown in the plans. Where do these go? Are they decals, or paper?

TIA,

Mark

ok, start with this one, some of my info might be redundant to what Don,etc posted, but here goes, lol .

Smoke = 2" ID tubing ( Semroc ST20 ). I believe 16", check the plans on YORP ( or I can measure my kitbuilt one, but it's not here in the apartment - working on that ( making space for more rockets here, since the wife left , so I can finally get more from my old space at mom and pops

the cone tapers out, than back in - would have to get mine and measure, if YORP does not have enough info - I had offered my vintage ( as yet unpainted) cone to Carl for a pattern, I think someone else sent him one - so if you inquire, maybe he can make the Smoke cone ? ( CARL - if you still need the cone, lmk ) .

fins on mine were 3/16 or 1/4" BASSWOOD, same with the Nike- Tomahawk I have sitting right here. ( side note - Tomahawk BT is exactly 16" , so assume the Smoke is same )

The hatch covers printed on cardstock go on the nosecone lower section - best bet , if you can;t find good online plans for a scale version, would be to find one o fthe Quest Nike-Smoke cones and use as a pattern, real nice detail on those.

Smoke should be easy to clone, if you can get a cone, drop Carl ( Or SANDMAN , a line .

~ AL
Old 04-07-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Finally, the Black Brant. I'm not as utterly clueless about the real item as I was about the N-S, either - just mostly so.

Fins - material and thickness? I'm guessing balsa, again.

Length of nose cone - I'm trying to see if the Semroc BC-20107 (L=10.7") will work. (Also wondering about using that nc for the Nike-Smoke.)

Tail cone - is it a straight-sided transition, or is it curved, like on a V-2? Also, what is the length?

Again, TIA.

Mark

well, I have not built the BB myself, although sold quite a few back in the day .

I do have an original nosecone, unused, that has the FSI quality control - the base (shoulder) is a fullwall thickness off-center, so the cone sits 'off' the tube to one side, go figure....

anyways - 10" balsa cone ( SEMROC HAS THIS !!!! ) <-- yes, that's same as the FSI cone

not sure tube lengths, see YORP, etc.

Tailcone was striaght for a ways, as Don posted, then a groove, then the conical taper at rear, exact dimensions unknown since I don;t have a kit on hand anymore.

would be a real nice clone - CARL, if listening, the tailcone would be a nice compliment tot he nosecone you have

~ AL