Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Launching since 1970.

Some kits from virtually all manufacturers have had problems caused by differences between prototype nose cone weight and production nose cone weight, and new re-issues from some companies that are using balsa instead of the original plastic nose cones can have stability problems.

I imagine for the balsa cones, they will need to add steel washers to put under the screw eye since I doubt they will use the good old fashioned lead washers used in the past.

Or they can make the tubes longer....always a good solution.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Main reason? You don't have to change the instructions (assuming they didn't say to glue the strakes on flush with the *front* of the tube!), and you don't significantly increase the weight of the rocket.

That makes sense and those are reasons I thought of too, but IMO they still need to change the instructions. The fact this discussion was started is proof of that. Not wanting to increase the weight is a good reason too, and considering the current Quest motors it makes good sense, but even with 1/2 oz. in the nose, the C6 gives it a nice ride. Appearance is a big factor too. It wasn't going to win a scale awards before(and I'm ok with that and love my Quest X-15!!!!!), but this isn't the direction I would have gone. I think it will look very strange with a 14" tube. At least the builder has a choice now and it also cures the strake problem.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Master Modeler

Default Addendum?

Jeffyjeep,

So Quest changed the BT length but did npt bother to change the instructions or add anything to the instructions(adddendum) explaining the changes.

They must not be getting the memos in China!

I did contact Quest and still no response.

On with the Quest.... kit!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Old Submariner

Yes, that's correct. I called Quest's toll free number when I was building my kit and they explained it to me. IMO the x-15 only looks scale if the body tube is cut to the length of the strakes. If it's just for display, then you're finished, but if you're going to fly it, then I would add weight to the nose as described earlier in this thread.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 08-30-2010, 10:49 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Jeffyjeep,

So Quest changed the BT length but did npt bother to change the instructions or add anything to the instructions(adddendum) explaining the changes.

They must not be getting the memos in China!

I did contact Quest and still no response.

On with the Quest.... kit!

But that's the great thing about lengthening the tube. You get extra stability, without having to change anything about the instructions.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:21 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Old post never die....they just get revisited.....

I ordered a BT from Quest and decided to order a little more to make the $13 shipping fee a little more palatable. The X-15 parts kit was added to the order. Of course, not thinking ahead, now I have to order a BT.....again. And some more stuff to make the shipping a little more palatable .........again. And my luck with getting undamaged body tubes being delivered is batting 0.000. This thread has lead me to the information I need. I've got plenty of clay so an 11" BT shouldn't get crushed in the mail.......oh wait.......we're talking about USPS........hopefully maybe I'll make it to 0.500.....
Old 03-10-2021, 05:49 AM
rosko_racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Old post never die....they just get revisited.....

I ordered a BT from Quest and decided to order a little more to make the $13 shipping fee a little more palatable. The X-15 parts kit was added to the order. Of course, not thinking ahead, now I have to order a BT.....again. And some more stuff to make the shipping a little more palatable .........again. And my luck with getting undamaged body tubes being delivered is batting 0.000. ...

Bartone: I recently ordered enough parts for two X-15s from Quest. I live in Bogota, Colombia, and our U.S. mail first goes through the USPS then through the Diplomatic Post Office system. Mail through the DPO gets pretty roughed up, sometimes the boxes have been opened and retaped without consideration of what is inside . I think you will be OK with ordering BTs from Quest. They did a superb job packaging my order and it survived the three-week transit.

... and now back to your favorite Quest X-15 channel...

- Raúl
NAR #88644
SAM #230
EAC
CAT
Old 03-01-2022, 04:21 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Okay....here it is one year later. Never ordered the BT but have been sitting here looking at the parts kit. So, guess what? I have a Quest SuperBird kit with no instructions and no decals (they're probably in a binder somewhere). But, there is a BT.

And this thread is referenced again to see how much nose weight I need.....

Never underestimate the importance of old information.....